GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

+7
DefenceWinsChampionships
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
wprager
Flo The Action
tim1_2
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 22]

2712017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:52 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:I just don't see what Stalberg brings that is *that much* better then our own prospects that can be had for a lot less.  He is fast,  big,  and has experience.  We have enough players with experience,  now. A full three rounds of playoffs last year is just the most recent experience.

I'd much rather Colin White got the extra ice time.
I'd rather have both and have depth and rested players. Rather not be left scrambling mid-season wasting assets on a trade.

I'd rather not spend almost $2M on Nate Thompson

What do you know about Nate Thompson?

2722017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I know that he has 8 points over his last two NHL seasons and only played 30 games last year. He missed this time with a torn Achilles and a torn labrum in his shoulder.

I know we gave a 33 year old a two year deal with a NTC at probably two times what he's actually worth from a cap perspective - though he did make this much over the last couple of seasons.

I know he will be getting a lot of ice time that I think should be given to someone with more than a two year future with the team for developmental purposes.

What I didn't know is how big of a guy he is.

2732017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:31 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I know that he has 8 points over his last two NHL seasons and only played 30 games last year. He missed this time with a torn Achilles and a torn labrum in his shoulder.

I know we gave a 33 year old a two year deal with a NTC at probably two times what he's actually worth from a cap perspective - though he did make this much over the last couple of seasons.

I know he will be getting a lot of ice time that I think should be given to someone with more than a two year future with the team for developmental purposes.

What I didn't know is how big of a guy he is.

A ferocious beast is what he's been described as. He'll play his arse off every shift, is a great PKer, leader, good to very good faceoff guy, amazing forechecker. He'll be big time missed in Anaheim - with a lot of their fans lamenting the fact that he's gone. Our PK sucked last year and as much as I enjoyed watching Chris Kelly...

I knew nothing about him and was upset we signed him, but I've since seen the light that comes from unjaded fans of teams he's played for.

2742017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:39 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Key free agent signings last 4 seasons:

- Nate Thompson
- Chris Kelly
- Tom Pyatt
- Scott Gomez
- David Legwand

That's what fans lament about.

2752017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Key free agent signings last 4 seasons:

- Nate Thompson
- Chris Kelly
- Tom Pyatt
- Scott Gomez
- David Legwand

And that's probably similar to 24 other teams.

2762017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

- Nate Thompson
- Chris Kelly
- Tom Pyatt
- Scott Gomez
- David Legwand

The only issues I have from time to time is that we don't go after guys like Jokinen and/or Jagr. Obvious pieces this team could use - although they might laugh at signing with Ottawa, who knows.

Legwand was a big signing at the time - he just was done unfortunately.

Pyatt was amazing for us, just great.

I kinda wish we'd take a chance on Markov this year, but otherwise there are a ton of mistake contracts given out in July, as you know. So many that are Cussing terrible, buyout fodder.

2772017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:14 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Free agents don't sign here. Not really hard to understand.

2782017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:

- Nate Thompson
- Chris Kelly
- Tom Pyatt
- Scott Gomez
- David Legwand

The only issues I have from time to time is that we don't go after guys like Jokinen and/or Jagr.  Obvious pieces this team could use - although they might laugh at signing with Ottawa, who knows.

Legwand was a big signing at the time - he just was done unfortunately.

Pyatt was amazing for us, just great.

I kinda wish we'd take a chance on Markov this year, but otherwise there are a ton of mistake contracts given out in July, as you know.  So many that are Cussing terrible, buyout fodder.
Legrand was already on the outs when he signed here. I hardly qualify that as anything more than depth signing.
I think the last free agent of note we brought in was Gonchar. Was that something like 7-8 years ago?

There's something to be said about not being a prime destination for FA and that's an impairment but somehow you figure out how to make better trades then. They may cost you more in quantity than you'd rather give up but they are necessary.

2792017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Murray gave out too many NMCs.  Lots of teams do that, but it really hampered trading Heatly and Spezza.

2802017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:14 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:Murray gave out too many NMCs.  Lots of teams do that, but it really hampered trading Heatly and Spezza.

Heatley and Spezza are the type of guys that get NMCs.

2812017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Habs apparently offering Streit a 1-year $1.5M deal.

2822017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Man, has Markov not signed anywhere? I guess when you're that old and you're demanding $12M over two years, that's a big ask.

I also just realized Robin Lehner is a RFA with the Sabres. Those negotiations will be...interesting.

2832017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:59 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Lehner may be the hardest RFA to sign. So much "potential" on a bad team, terrible attitude but so competitive, workhorse goalie who can't stop a breakaway, too old for a bridge deal but not the type of guy you want to commit as your starter long-term.

2842017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:29 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Lehner may be the hardest RFA to sign. So much "potential" on a bad  team, terrible attitude but so competitive, workhorse goalie who can't stop a breakaway, too old for a bridge deal but not the type of guy you want to commit as your starter long-term.  

Factor in some injury concerns, and I have no idea where it'll go.

2852017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

His take-home salary was $3.15M last year. He won't take a reduction. 3 x $3.5M may be what he's worth. Bishop has a cap-hit of just under $5M per year with a front-loaded contract.

2862017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:27 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Man, has Markov not signed anywhere?  I guess when you're that old and you're demanding $12M over two years, that's a big ask.  

I also just realized Robin Lehner is a RFA with the Sabres.  Those negotiations will be...interesting.

He might take less to play for someone like Pittsburgh, I want him here though

2872017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:41 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

PTFlea wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Man, has Markov not signed anywhere?  I guess when you're that old and you're demanding $12M over two years, that's a big ask.  

I also just realized Robin Lehner is a RFA with the Sabres.  Those negotiations will be...interesting.

He might take less to play for someone like Pittsburgh, I want him here though

He's not coming here though I would welcome him back with open arms.

2882017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 19 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't have any interest in Lehner.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum