GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

2017 Off-Season Around the NHL

+7
DefenceWinsChampionships
Hockeyhero22000
Ev
wprager
Flo The Action
tim1_2
PTFlea
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 22]

1362017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Oshie is only 7 months younger than Radulov. Remember how everyone said he would never get more than 4-5 years at anywhere near $6M?  Ok, so the Habs are the only ones who could give him 8, that's not going to happen. But he could legitimately ask for 7 x $6M.

1372017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:16 am

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:The problem is the max salary being 20% of the cap. Did they take that straight out of the NBA CBA? You can get away with that in the NBA because of the roster size difference. Your top line NHL forward is on the ice for 1/3 of the time. You still need high the talent for the second line. In basketball you can literally have 3 superstars who are on 30-45 minutes and scrubs the rest of the roster

With the cap projected to go to $75M the max salary is $15M.  At 15% it would be $11.25M.

Let's say Crosby and Malkin are making the max, or $30M. That leaves $45M for the remaining 21 player's on the roster. With the minimum salary below $600K you can certainly do that, but you are not winning back to back Cups.
That is how a hard cap can create competitive balance.  Chicago is the perfect example.  Pay the top players what they are worth.  I hope Karlsson gets 12M.

1382017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:54 am

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:The problem is the max salary being 20% of the cap. Did they take that straight out of the NBA CBA? You can get away with that in the NBA because of the roster size difference. Your top line NHL forward is on the ice for 1/3 of the time. You still need high the talent for the second line. In basketball you can literally have 3 superstars who are on 30-45 minutes and scrubs the rest of the roster

With the cap projected to go to $75M the max salary is $15M.  At 15% it would be $11.25M.

Let's say Crosby and Malkin are making the max, or $30M. That leaves $45M for the remaining 21 player's on the roster. With the minimum salary below $600K you can certainly do that, but you are not winning back to back Cups.
Yeah I agree. 15% would be more reasonable. Salaries will get insanely high. Guess we still have a long ways to wait till the next CBA?

1392017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:46 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

CBA expires in 2022 but both sides can opt out 2 years earlier (league has until September 1 2019 to announce it's intention; of they don't then PA has until September 19 to announce theirs).

So we have three more seasons before any chance of a work stoppage.

1402017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:50 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I've posted this the last few years. Always fun to see if they're right:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/

1412017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:55 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Players via trade:

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_board_2017.html

1422017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I've posted this the last few years. Always fun to see if they're right:

It's kind of funny as they don't list us as being interested in any D FA.
But this us just speculation on his part.

1432017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:41 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I've posted this the last few years. Always fun to see if they're right:

It's kind of funny as they don't list us as being interested in any D FA.
But this us just speculation on his part.

It is probably because we still have 8 d-men in our system right now vying for 6 spots. Phaneuf also isn't listed as trade bait.

1442017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:52 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well thats methot to Dallas.

1452017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Methot: You again.
Spezza: < giggles uncontrollably >

1462017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:14 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I feel bad for Methot landing on that team. They're trying to salvage something and "win now", but it just ain't gonna happen for them.

1472017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:13 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:I feel bad for Methot landing on that team.  They're trying to salvage something and "win now", but it just ain't gonna happen for them.

No it is not.

1482017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Methot will save $900K in taxes. Don't feel sorry for him.

1492017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:26 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Actually, more. Texas has no state income tax. Ran the numbers using sine online calculators and with a $4.9M annual salary, 76 cents on the dollar, he's saving $1.17M USD over two years.

Of course he's using various deductions and income deferral and whatnot so the actual savings is hard to calculate.

1502017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:23 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Actually,  more. Texas has no state income tax. Ran the numbers using sine online calculators and with a $4.9M annual salary,  76 cents on the dollar,  he's saving $1.17M USD over two years.

Of course he's using various deductions and income deferral and whatnot so the actual savings is hard to calculate.

Someone on Twitter said something about having to live there a certain portion of the year, and then give up Canadian health care, etc, in order to actually be taxed there instead of here. I have no idea how that works.

1512017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't claim to be a tax expert but pretty sure his accountant will make it all work out, and help pay the lower Texas taxes.

What I didn't realize was that the difference between US and Canada is a lot less now than it used to be. In fact, the taxes are actually lower in Edmonton/Calgary. Which means that income tax doesn't matter as much to UFAs than we thought.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/10/01/u-s-tax-changes-level-the-playing-field-for-canadian-nhl-teams

1522017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Friedman says: McDavid close to signing 8 year, $13.25M per deal?

1532017 Off-Season Around the NHL - Page 10 Empty Re: 2017 Off-Season Around the NHL Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:22 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PTFlea wrote:Friedman says: McDavid close to signing 8 year, $13.25M per deal?

As others have said, this takes up around the same cap % as Crosby's deal did when he signed it, so it makes sense (I guess). We better be getting that Brinks truck all loaded up for Karlsson. Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 22]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum