GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+10
Ev
Oglethorpe
SensHulk
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
spader
wprager
Flo The Action
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 57 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 48 of 67]

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:White signed his ATO.
Well I guess this nails any rumour that he won't signed with the sens going forward. He can't go back to college now and probably signs his ELC in the summer. Gives us another reason to scoreboard watch what happens in bingo now.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:White signed his ATO.

Season salvaged.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nice to see White signed and that whole mess put to bed. If Ottawa gets desperate here (and I don't think they will), they could sign him to his ELC and bring him up.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

A bunch of other NCAA drafted players had already signed, most of them with an ELC (some kicking in next year, others right now). I really don't see why his case is different.

An ATO does not carry a singing bonus or any salary. Players get the minimum per diem that pays for food and are likely rooming with another player. But they retain their amateur status and can return to college. Typically an ATO it's given to players who are not drafted, and to them it's an opportunity to show what they can do so that they can earn a pro contract.

In White's case, he has already earned his pro contract, he was a high draft pick and followed it up by winning gold. Think Curtis Lazar, but 20, with one more year playing in a men's league.

Because he is 20, I believe signing the ELC (probably even if it is specifically for next season) burns a year toward his FA eligibility. So there is certainly an advantage to the Sens, but I cannot see any for White. Bingo is a dead end in pretty much every way. Bad team, no chance at playoffs, and you wouldn't even be building relationships with fans, because of Belleville.

This is why I'm almost convinced there was some kind of agreement that he *could* get a call-up based on how he plays and if there are injuries.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:A bunch of other NCAA drafted players had already signed, most of them with an ELC (some kicking in next year, others right now).  I really don't see why his case is different.

An ATO does not carry a singing bonus or any salary. Players get the minimum per diem that pays for food and are likely rooming with another player. But they retain their amateur status and can return to college.  Typically an ATO it's given to players who are not drafted, and to them it's an opportunity to show what they can do so that they can earn a pro contract.

In White's case, he has already earned his pro contract, he was a high draft pick and followed it up by winning gold.  Think Curtis Lazar, but 20, with one more year playing in a men's league.

Because he is 20, I believe signing the ELC (probably even if it is specifically for next season) burns a year toward his FA eligibility.  So there is certainly an advantage to the Sens, but I cannot see any for White. Bingo is a dead end in pretty much every way. Bad team, no chance at playoffs, and you wouldn't even be building relationships with fans, because of Belleville.

This is why I'm almost convinced there was some kind of agreement that he *could* get a call-up based on how he plays and if there are injuries.

My guess is they want to give him a few games down there to assess whether or not he could add value in a playoff run. It's essentially a no-risk dress rehearsal for the team, and an opportunity for him to show he can contribute in the playoffs.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:A bunch of other NCAA drafted players had already signed, most of them with an ELC (some kicking in next year, others right now).  I really don't see why his case is different.

An ATO does not carry a singing bonus or any salary. Players get the minimum per diem that pays for food and are likely rooming with another player. But they retain their amateur status and can return to college.  Typically an ATO it's given to players who are not drafted, and to them it's an opportunity to show what they can do so that they can earn a pro contract.

In White's case, he has already earned his pro contract, he was a high draft pick and followed it up by winning gold.  Think Curtis Lazar, but 20, with one more year playing in a men's league.

Because he is 20, I believe signing the ELC (probably even if it is specifically for next season) burns a year toward his FA eligibility.  So there is certainly an advantage to the Sens, but I cannot see any for White. Bingo is a dead end in pretty much every way. Bad team, no chance at playoffs, and you wouldn't even be building relationships with fans, because of Belleville.

Source?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

I would assume this is the case too, but I also think that there's almost no chance this actually happens, unless things really get crazy with injuries (like 4 to 5 forwards going down).

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

As you guys are all aware of the Methot finger chop, I thought it the media exchange between Melnyk and Crosby was pretty funny and noteable. What was more noatable to me is how it perfectly echoed the fan base typical argument that is usually mentioned when both guys are brought up. And for anyone that thinks there's a big divide between both worlds that gap may have shrunk. Melnyk went on about how Crosby is the biggest winer in the league and Crosby retaliated by saying Melnyk likes the sound of his own voice too much. I found it very comical to hear typical fan arguments come out of both. Good fun.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:As you guys are all aware of the Methot finger chop, I thought it the media exchange between Melnyk and Crosby was pretty funny and noteable. What was more noatable to me is how it perfectly echoed the fan base typical argument that is usually mentioned when both guys are brought up. And for anyone that thinks there's a big divide between both worlds that gap may have shrunk. Melnyk went on about how Crosby is the biggest winer in the league and Crosby retaliated by saying Melnyk likes the sound of his own voice too much. I found it very comical to hear typical fan arguments come out of both. Good fun.

Sounds like the type of banter you'd hear during the playoffs to get each side off their game.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Am I the only one actually excited that we likely won't win our division and get to face the sputtering Rangers in the first round? Not having Methot is a huge issue though. I think we could weather that storm for a round but, if he's not back by round two I'm not sure we'd even have a shot at making it to the Conference Final. Given that making it that far would be a massive achievement given the state of the team and the stage of re-tool I wouldn't be too disappointed if we only won a single round.

- Unknown Author

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't think Methot is all that important to be honest. He's better than Claesson obviously but I think anyone can play next to Karlsson

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:I don't think Methot is all that important to be honest. He's better than Claesson obviously but I think anyone can play next to Karlsson

We've seen others try to partner with Karlsson and no one works better with him than Methot.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Source?

http://www.pressherald.com/2011/04/10/amateur-tryout-deal-offers-a-look-at-what-its-like-to-live-the-dream_2011-04-10/
... while Ostrow joined the Portland Pirates on an amateur tryout agreement — an ATO in pro hockey vernacular — he isn’t drawing a paycheck
A player agrees to a tryout with an AHL team as a free agent with only a nominal per diem as compensation...

Doesn't prove anything, I realize, but shows that an ATO does not carry a salary so, technically, you should be able to retain your amateur status (but the NCAA is a funny beast -- for some sports, like Baseball, simply entering the draft makes you ineligible, even if you later withdraw before the draft happens). In any case, he would have to declare before the end of April.

We all know that's not happening, but I cannot see *any* other reason for a prospect of White's caliber to sign an ATO, while for the team, it's clearly an advantage (see him play, get him used to the coaching system, get him into the program early for conditioning and diet, etc.)

So if he signed, I am assuming there is more to this than meets the eye, such as an agreement of a possibility of some games in the NHL this year. And maybe that's what took so long -- drawing up the conditions (games or minutes played, points, etc.) which would earn him a call-up.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:I don't think Methot is all that important to be honest. He's better than Claesson obviously but I think anyone can play next to Karlsson

I don't think Methot's left-hand pinky finger tip is all that important to Methot's style of play, to be honest.

Wasn't there an NHL player who had a tip of his finger surgically removed so he could play?

EDIT: Yep: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/17/nfl-history-in-95-objects-ronnie-lott-amputated-pinkie-finger

Now, while I'm not suggesting Methot lops it off. they could probably have it fixed and in a protective cast with a specially fitted glove by the end of the regular season.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

We've seen others try to partner with Karlsson and no one works better with him than Methot.

Oh yeah? Prove it. WOWY numbers show that Karlsson is actually dragged down by Methot more than any other partner. This is 5-on-5 numbers so now skewed for when he plays with Phaneuf on the PP. Interestingly, Karlsson's CF% remains fairly stead with/without Phaneuf. It goes down *substantially* with Methot. It goes up with Claesson although it's worth noting the sample size is small.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I guess I'm talking about the ol' eyeball test and not fancy stats.

- Unknown Author

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I guess I'm talking about the ol' eyeball test and not fancy stats.
My eyeballs tell meMethot is an anchor to EK. The fancy stats agree.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I guess I'm talking about the ol' eyeball test and not fancy stats.

Eyeball test says Methot doesn't add anything to Karlsson's offensive game. Or anyone's offensive game.

You would think that a stay at home guy like Methot would allow Karlsson freedom to rush more, but if you stay back to much then the puck carrier may have one less potential passing target. This is the only reason I can think of to explain the fancy stats I mentioned earlier.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 48 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 25 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 57 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum