GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do we fix the Senators

+10
dennycrane
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
wprager
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 27]

121How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:26 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:White won't be rushed. He'll be ready. He's better than zibanejad right now, most likely

Ya. Right. Sounds awfully similar to when everyone was saying Paul was ready to jump to the NHL. Yet he's doing average in Bingo. I'd say you let him take his game through the different levels instead of rushing yet another prospect.

just because people would say he was "rushed" doesn't mean he was rushed. You don't understand how goof White is right now and how polished he is. That would be like saying the Wings rushed Larkin.

As long as he doesn't go to Bingo. That place is a dump right now.
I disagree. Bingo might be very different next year. You add white, Chabot, Perron, gagné  possibly England and Wilkstrand and you have a very different make-up of the team. I've said it before, this year is a transition year for bingo. You look at some of the guys on the team that were brought in and that aren't close to being a prospect and you see it's all stop gap. In my opinion there is no way you should be starting white on the sens roster. Establish himself in bingo first. He might have looked good in a prospect camp but it's a huge difference day in day out in the NHL. If he starts slumping how does that affect him again young age? Maturity is a huge factor in growing a prospect and I'm a huge believer in time. The stressors aren't close to the same between bingo and the big stage.

Chabot is ineligible.

as for slumps, every rookie and sophomore has those so I don't see the issue.

I personally don't see a scenario where, if White is signed, he isn't on the Sens.

He's dominating NCAA at a level seen by the very good players to come out of that league. Guys like him never need much AHL time if any at all.

122How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:26 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

That's my concern as well. Ceci was supposed to be another offensive weapon, I'm not really in the camp that believes Chabot is the answer and he'll be the next great offensive talent. His value is high right now, I'd move him for a legit top 4 dman (my pick is Edler, obviously you add to it but that would be the base).

If you can have this as your top 4:

Methot-Karlsson
Edler-Ceci

I think you're in good shape. And then return Boro to the bottom pair with Wideman. That's a solid balance.

123How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:26 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:I looked at the stats of 2-nd pairing D-men from several teams.  I sorted based on  TOI/Game making the assumption that the 3rd/4th guys were the likely 2nd pairing.  It's not perfect but it's something.  This is what I've got (games goals/assists/points +/-):

Bston:
Seidenberg - 34  0/7/7     -2
Miller          - 43  3/10/13  +6

Wings:
Green         - 44 2/17/19   -6
Ericsson     - 45 1/7/8       +6

Panthers:
Kulikov        - 42  1/7/8     +11
Mitchell        - 46  1/6/7     -2

And now compare these to Ceci  - 44 5/10/15  -2

Don't forget that Ottawa is a -17 (goal differential) team; Detroit is -4, Boston is +15, Florida is +30!  

How is Ceci *not* a legit 2nd pairing D-man?  Give your head a shake.  And if that doesn't work, give it a spin as well.

Wow, such detailed analysis.  Anyway, I actually watch the games and can see that Ceci is having a tough time out there.  

So you can look at his stat line from the game against the Pens and say, "wow, 2 points, a +1, great game!"  But what that doesn't tell you is the the sheer misery that he caused in his own end, which is what some of the advanced stat line actually does tell you.  

I don't really want to argue about Ceci.  I'd keep him, as I think he'll continue to develop.  I think we'd be a better team, though, with a legit 2nd defensive pairing that doesn't include him.

Nobody is saying he's not having a tough time out there. Everyone on this team is, even Karlsson. No one is saying that Ceci is just like Lidstrom in his first few seasons. He will continue to develop and get better, and so will the team when they get some help on the left side. But right now Ceci is as legit a 2nd pairing D-man as they come. This is the same discussion we had back when Fisher was not good enough at center to be a 2LC, yet Mendes surveyed the other 2nd line centers in the league (much more detailed analysis than I just did here) and clearly demonstrated that, as 2LCs go, Fisher was bang-on legit. I still say that Fisher was better suited to the wing, and I will continue to say that to the day I die.

124How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:27 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I think Ceci has been good but let's just say he has yet to really 'establish' himself as the consistently dependent second pairing dman. He's better than the rest of what we got, which isn't the biggest compliment. I think he would excel with a lefty veteran.

125How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:52 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I haven't been this frustrated at management/ownership for a long long time, if ever. We have a great core with a spectacular elite defenseman and this is likely as good as it's going to get but because of bad context they've handcuffed themselves in making moves. This is pathetic. Sometimes, secretly, late late at night,  in the cover of darkness, I wishMelnyk would of failed the the transplant. Sarcasm
New ownership.

I don't see how a new owner is gonna help develop more defensemen..
Are the Predators /Ducks paying their Defensemen billions of $$ or something?
No but management/ ownership is preventing us from making any moves. When have we not heard this season about Murray making moves but trying to ship greening's contract? We have almost 6 million in cap space. That should not be an issue in making trades.
Ok, we've had a hard time developing our guys on the back end and that's another issue to adress but in the mean time we aren't making moves and signs are pointing to our own monetary self-restrictions on those ones.
I'd like a a change in both aspects. Even if it is to bring in Dorion (and new ownership. I'm tired of hearing about budgets and in the next interview half billion dollar investments. Dude can't even put money where it's needed. I get that it would raise the value of the sens but come on, the dialogue is getting old.

126How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:16 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think ownership is preventing us from making moves.
Fact is we need a trade like the Bobby Ryan one but on defense.
The difference is we don't have a Silfverberg to trade anymore because our guys haven't developped well (Prince, Puempel etc).

127How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:22 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Not too many moves made in general though. The team that really needed to make moves was MTL in their downward spiral and even they could only muster that Scrivens and John Scott trade.

The price is high for moves and alot of teams haven't bought into being sellers yet. Next 2 weeks should start to weed things.

I think shipping out greening's contract is more to do with being loyal to the player and all that stuff which is also a fault. I have no doubts they'll be buying out greening this off-season. ANd if it came to it, ther'es no way sens would pass up a trade that makes them better just because they can't get someone to take greening. If that's the case, Murray should be fired on the spot.

128How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:I don't think ownership is preventing us from making moves.
Fact is we need a trade like the Bobby Ryan one but on defense.
The difference is we don't have a Silfverberg to trade anymore because our guys haven't developped well (Prince, Puempel etc).

Really? You haven't constantly heard about BM trying to make a move but having to include Greening to make it work? I have. Constantly. I call that an anchor. That, IMO, has probably nixed a possible deal. And that is all on ownership's inability to stomach mistakes management has made in giving contracts to certain players.
Who knows how well Prince has developed , he's not given much of a chance in the NHL. Puempel I still see as having potential to become a top 6 winger. Needs to find his game at the NHL level.

Sure we need a Bobby Ryan type trade. But the Bobby Ryan type trade didn't have a greening factor.

129How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:Not too many moves made in general though.  The team that really needed to make moves was MTL in their downward spiral and even they could only muster that Scrivens and John Scott trade.  

The price is high for moves and alot of teams haven't bought into being sellers yet.  Next 2 weeks should start to weed things.

I think shipping out greening's contract is more to do with being loyal to the player and all that stuff which is also a fault.  I have no doubts they'll be buying out greening this off-season.  ANd if it came to it, ther'es no way sens would pass up a trade that makes them better just because they can't get someone to take greening.  If that's the case, Murray should be fired on the spot.

You can't fire ownership and I believe that's squarely on ownership. You heard it left and right from analysts. A deal has to include greening. Or movement of salary like Cowen. We are not gonna get a player under significant contract unless some salary goes back the other way.

130How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I will try...to fix you

131How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:52 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Ev wrote:I will try...to fix you

How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 X1rx3y

132How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:45 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:That's my concern as well.  Ceci was supposed to be another offensive weapon, I'm not really in the camp that believes Chabot is the answer and he'll be the next great offensive talent.  His value is high right now, I'd move him for a legit top 4 dman (my pick is Edler, obviously you add to it but that would be the base).  

If you can have this as your top 4:

Methot-Karlsson
Edler-Ceci

I think you're in good shape.  And then return Boro to the bottom pair with Wideman.  That's a solid balance.

I don't care for the idea of trading Chabot for some help for The Cecer, who looks pretty un-help-able to me.

Will adding Edler help Ceci get smarter, skate better, not be butter soft or grow a neck? "Probably not."

133How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:50 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think the answer is now obvious:

How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Senstank

By the way, this audio is from Feb 11 last year. Sens had just beaten the Sabres, but were outshot 21-4 in the second period. Game after that they lost in the shootout to the Penguins and then routed the Oilers 7-2 on Valentine's Day (you think the Oilers remembered that one?) Then the 6-3 loss to Carolina where we lost MacArthur and Lehner, and we all know what came after that.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/mcguire-sens-should-not-embrace-tank-nation-1.204938

134How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:21 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't even care to discuss "how to fix the Senators" today, since we've done that to death, but now need to wait months to see if anything actually happens.

135How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:10 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

For what it's worth Pierre said on TGOR this morning that he'd be shocked if White is not in the NHL netxt year. Said he was the steal of the draft and he's an A+ level prospect.
If we decide to tank the year I suggest to trade Zibanejad or Lazar. That should bring a top 4 Defenseman and a pretty good one.

136How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:02 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:For what it's worth Pierre said on TGOR this morning that he'd be shocked if White is not in the NHL netxt year. Said he was the steal of the draft and he's an A+ level prospect.
If we decide to tank the year I suggest to trade Zibanejad or Lazar. That should bring a top 4 Defenseman and a pretty good one.

Sounds good. Also, Hoffman could be parlayed into a good return, if we doubt our ability to sign him long term.

137How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:For what it's worth Pierre said on TGOR this morning that he'd be shocked if White is not in the NHL netxt year. Said he was the steal of the draft and he's an A+ level prospect.

Sounds good.  Also, Hoffman could be parlayed into a good return, if we doubt our ability to sign him long term.

I'd try to hang on to Hoffman. He's got an elite shot. We don't have many players who are elite in anything -- Karlsson and Hoffman.

138How do we fix the Senators - Page 9 Empty Re: How do we fix the Senators Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:51 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I think they've botched lazar's development to be honest. Why are they reluctant to give him more offensive opportunities or try him at center? Although Pageau was great on the faceoffs last night. Still, I figured lazar would have higher offensive ceiling than pageau.

If they intend to hang onto lazar, then send him to the minors. Up until now his PK was the best thing and u can't really get any worse than 0% PK so Diddle it send him to bingo.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 27]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum