GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY #28: Senators @ Panthers - 7:30pm - Tuesday Dec. 8 2015

+6
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
SensHulk
PTFlea
tim1_2
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Missed the game. How did sens look overall? Looks like they had a comeback victory but the topic seems to be about how hoffman was limited in the 3rd period...and still scored the GWG.

How did Boro look at forward?

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:Missed the game.  How did sens look overall?  Looks like they had a comeback victory but the topic seems to be about how hoffman was limited in the 3rd period...and still scored the GWG.

Boro was neither good nor bad so that's ok. Was hitting a ton, of course.

Opinions differ on the Hoffman thing. The bottom line for me is that he's a gifted scorer and game breaker and those don't grow on trees.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Any idea why he got benched in the first place? Or was it just random?

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

LeCaptain wrote:http://www.silversevensens.com/2015/12/8/9874468/ottawa-senators-overcome-coaching-decisions-to-beat-florida-panthers

"Ottawa Senators overcome Coach's Decisions"??
Laughing3 this fanbase sometimes

I don't know what's more brutal.  The "article" or the comments ...

It's a weird Cussing day when I find myself agreeing with Ev ... Smile

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cameron's record as a Sens coach is second only to Bryan Murray (they showed that graphic on the broadcast last night).

Cameron has a worse roster that Murray did for the most part, and is still producing very good results. That's the end of the story. The sample size is big enough now that we know it's not "overcoming bad coaching".

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I'm sure there was some method to cameron's madness....I just would like to know what it is. It does seem odd to place your leading goal scorer down on the 3rd line and keep him there even after scoring the go-ahead goal (boro with turris and ryan?). Sounds like a definite message sending that I hope doesn't blow up in our faces.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Michallica wrote:Missed the game.  How did sens look overall?  Looks like they had a comeback victory but the topic seems to be about how hoffman was limited in the 3rd period...and still scored the GWG.

Boro was neither good nor bad so that's ok. Was hitting a ton, of course.

Opinions differ on the Hoffman thing. The bottom line for me is that he's a gifted scorer and game breaker and those don't grow on trees.

Well, that's just it. If they do indeed end up moving him, I hope it's for a return that we don't have to make excuses for.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Hoffman had a really weak game until he scored. He had a chance or two, but he just wasn't good enough, especially in the defensive zone, where he was clearly standing still a few times.

I understood benching him for a bit, but I was glad Cameron put him out when he did, obviously.

Karlsson had his weak moments as well, I thought he was underwhelming except on the PP.

Great win though! So nice to have an offense that can do that - and mostly young guys too.

I don't have a problem with a player being benched if he's not playing well. I only got a chance to watch most of the first period and, frankly, he did not stand out one way or another. But what the stats show is that with Borowiecki in the ice 5v5 the Panthers had 11 shot attempts while the Sens had zero. Some of those shifts were on the top line. Borowiecki is what he is, and he is *not* a top-six forward or even middle-six. No problem with him playing on the 4th line if we have injuries, I raised my eyebrows when he, essentially, replaced Price in the lineup.

And Cameron, when asked, said something along the lines that he didn't think the line was playing safe hockey, and that Boro on the top line added strength and safety. 11-0, Dave.

If he had said he wanted a little toughness on the top line to give Turris and Ryan a bit more room, no problem. If he said that Hoffman was struggling and he needed something to spark the team, again, no problem. Promoting Smith or Lazar to replace Hoffman gives them what he said he wanted and hurts the team less.

This move smelled like he was trying to show him up a bit. Coaches should not do that, IMO.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If Hoffman holds a grudge and wants to get out of Ottawa ASAP, that's his decision to make. He'll either sign here long term at some point before he's a UFA, or he'll get traded.

If the bridge has been burned, it was burned when he went to arbitration, not by his handling under Cameron.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:This team will be filthy when they upgrade 2D.  Granted, a lot of the young guys have to mature, but this is a team with a lot of firepower, they can really focus on trying to find a good fit on defence to acquire.

Fedor Tyutin is rumoured to be headed to Hockey Country.

details to follow

Where's that?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:If Hoffman holds a grudge and wants to get out of Ottawa ASAP, that's his decision to make.  He'll either sign here long term at some point before he's a UFA, or he'll get traded.  

If the bridge has been burned, it was burned when he went to arbitration, not by his handling under Cameron.

i think this is a case of much ado about nothing. sure maybe hoffman doesn't like playing on the fourth line but him scoring and not celebrating maybe is him saying to Cameron "i can do it from anywhere so you better keep me on a line you want to produce"
seriously don't think we have to worry about this. if bridges were slightly singed during arbitration it's nothing a 5x 6 mill won't fix. and i doubt they will lose him without recuperating something of equal value.

this is all starting to sound like a silly fanbase and media that is going stupid about a tweet being liked.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think bridges were burned in arbitration. He was told what they wanted to see from him and by most accounts he has done exactly that. He's tops among Sens forwards in plus/minus, leading the team in goals and getting up there in points. The power play is top five in the league, I believe, or pretty close, and he has both benefited from it as well as contributed to its success. Mike Hoffman is not looked upon to lead, except by his offense, so nobody expects him to be Toews. And while I'll still question the wisdom of putting in Boro, getting Hoffman away from the top line--and top checking--resulted in a GWG.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum