GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Senators at Panthers, Tuesday March 31, 2009 7:30pm ET

+15
Hockeyhero22000
613senators
LeCaptain
caissie_1
Riprock
LethalLehner
wprager
dennycrane
PTFlea
Number Twenty Nine
SensFan71
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
davetherave
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

GAME DAY: Senators at Panthers, Tuesday March 31, 2009 7:30pm ET OttOttawa at GAME DAY: Senators at Panthers, Tuesday March 31, 2009 7:30pm ET FlaFlorida

7:30 PM ET, March 31, 2009
BankAtlantic Center, Sunrise, Florida

Senators-Panthers Preview

ESPN.com/Stats LLC

With two key wins to close their recent road trip, the Florida Panthers may have awakened just in time to save their bid to reach the playoffs for the first time in nine years.

But they still have plenty of work to do if they hope to climb back to eighth place in the Eastern Conference, and they'll need to start with a strong performance during this week's three-game homestand, which opens Tuesday night against the Ottawa Senators.

The Panthers appeared to be fading out of the postseason picture when they stumbled to a 1-4-3 stretch earlier this month, and their 5-3 loss to Buffalo on Wednesday night wasn't a promising sign to start a three-game trip.

But they responded with victories at Philadelphia and Dallas, combining to score 10 goals in those games after their stagnant offense had failed to score four goals in any of their previous eight games.

"We wanted to get two of three on this trip, and we got them," Panthers coach Peter DeBoer said. "We've got three home games and we've got to take care of business. Hopefully at the end of the day we'll look up and be in."

Florida (37-28-11) still trails eighth-place Montreal by one point, and the Canadiens also have a game in hand entering the final two weeks. The Panthers also have to worry about the Sabres, who are three points behind Florida but also have one extra game to play.

"With six games left, we have to basically win all of them to control our own destiny," star defenseman Jay Bouwmeester said.

Bouwmeester was one of six different players to score for Florida in Saturday night's 6-3 victory over the Stars, also adding an assist and logging a team-high 29:11 of ice time. Cory Stillman added a goal and two assists.

But Florida remains a defensive-minded club, and Craig Anderson has earned back-to-back wins in net, making a combined 72 saves in place of starter Tomas Vokoun. DeBoer wasn't pleased with Vokoun's play against Buffalo, and it seems likely Anderson will continue to claim playing time.

"I knew I was putting him in a tough situation," DeBoer said. "He's shown his character. I think the guys see that and have responded for him."

It may take another strong effort to beat Ottawa. Even though the Senators (33-32-10) are realistically eliminated from playoff contention, they've been one of the league's hottest teams lately, winning 10 of their last 13.

They won 3-0 at Tampa Bay on Sunday, as rookie Brian Elliott made 20 saves for his first NHL shutout. Elliott has won nine of his last 11 starts, with a 2.34 goals-against average over that span.

"(Elliott is) going to have a long career in this league," Ottawa defenseman Chris Phillips said. "It's nice to be a part of that, but we're going to keep fighting right to the end and then we'll see what happens."

The Senators are still mathematically alive for the playoffs, but they trail Montreal by 10 points with seven games to play. They could be officially eliminated from contention with a regulation loss and a Canadiens victory over Chicago on Tuesday.

Ottawa and Florida will be meeting for the final time this season, but the teams haven't faced off since Dec. 8, when Stephen Weiss' overtime goal gave the Panthers a 4-3 road win.

The road team has won all three games in this season's series, including the Senators' 2-1 win in Sunrise, Fla., on Oct. 30.

GAME DAY: Senators at Panthers, Tuesday March 31, 2009 7:30pm ET Sens-p10

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Starting goalies as per: http://goaliepost.com/
- Ottawa: Elliott (wild guess)
- Florida: Anderson (firm)

Game Day notes from the Ottawa Sun: http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/03/31/8945171-sun.html

KEEP AN EYE ON

61 CORY STILLMAN LW

2008-09 Stats: 57 GP 16 G 29 A 45 PTS 33 Pims

THE SKINNY: Was signed as a UFA by the Panthers on July 1, 2008 ... Missed 19 games earlier this season with post-concussion syndrome ... Has six goals and 10 assists in 30 career games against the Senators. Had three goals and 16 assists in 24 games with Ottawa last season ... Was dealt to Ottawa by Carolina last February with D Mike Commodore, in exchange for D Joe Corvo and RW Patrick Eaves ... Needs three assists for 400 in his career. Has played 896 games in his career ... Was the No. 1 choice (No. 6 overall) of the Flames in the 1992 NHL draft.

BLACK AND BLUE REPORT

SENATORS: C Cody Bass (shoulder), season; G Pascal Leclaire (ankle), season; D Alex Picard (knee), season; D Jason Smith (knee), season.

PANTHERS: D Bryan Allen (knee), season; RW Richard Zednik (flu), expected to play.

NOTEWORTHY

SUNRISE, Fla. -- Expect to see G Craig Anderson start for the Panthers. He has won his last three games and has a 2-1 lifetime record vs. Ottawa with a 2.06 GAA and .940 save percentage ... The Senators are 25-8-0-2 against the Panthers since the 1999-2000 season ... Senators GM Bryan Murray coached the Panthers in 1997-98. He finished with a 17-31-11 record in 59 games ... The Panthers are coming off a 6-3 victory over the Stars in Dallas on Saturday ... The Senators crossed the Sunshine State after a 3-0 victory over the Lightning on Sunday and held a practice yesterday at the BankAtlantic Center ... Senators C Jason Spezza has posted his third straight 30-goal season.

TSN's Ice Chips: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11009
- no updates yet

Game is on: SNET-E, FS-F (HD)

GO SENS GO!!!

NOTE: A regulation loss by the Sens and a win by the Habs tonight will officially eliminate the Sens from the post season.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Elliott to start in net tonight:

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/03/31/8945166-sun.html

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

Enjoy the game, gang...I'll be 'Live at Le Centre Bell' for the Hawks-Habs tonight...
:D
Go Hawks! Go Sens!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

davetherave wrote:Enjoy the game, gang...I'll be 'Live at Le Centre Bell' for the Hawks-Habs tonight...
Go Hawks! Go Sens!
Have a good one!

GO SENS GO!!!

GO HAWKS GO!!!

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

davetherave wrote:Enjoy the game, gang...I'll be 'Live at Le Centre Bell' for the Hawks-Habs tonight...
Go Hawks! Go Sens!

I'll flip over to TSN to see if I can spot you Wink Hold up a GMHockey.com sign :D

- Unknown Author

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:
Go Hawks! Go Sens!
Have a good one!

GO SENS GO!!!

GO HAWKS GO!!
!

YAHHH!!!!!!!!!!! We must both do some damage tonight!!

Damn, Habs and Hawks...I would love to watch that one.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Go Hawks! Go Sens!

you lucky duck, except you have to put up with the "ole,ole" fans, ugh lol.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sportsnet Game Day Preview: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/03/31/gameday_senators_panthers/

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I hate to say it, we need to lose this one. No way can the Ole's get into the playoffs! Hawks need to win as well. Hopefully Pricecroft is in nets...

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I hate to say it, we need to lose this one. No way can the Ole's get into the playoffs! Hawks need to win as well. Hopefully Pricecroft is in nets...

as much as it hurts to say it, I am in accordance with you on this one 29, to screw the habs over, we have to lose, just make it competitive.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I will cheer for the Sens. I'm just not wired to do any different :D

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I hate to say it, we need to lose this one. No way can the Ole's get into the playoffs! Hawks need to win as well. Hopefully Pricecroft is in nets...

:^^^^: True enough.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I will cheer for the Sens. I'm just not wired to do any different :D

Me too, but if we lose and the Habs lose...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

504Heater wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I will cheer for the Sens. I'm just not wired to do any different :D

Me too, but if we lose and the Habs lose...

Lets just say I'll Cheer for the Sens but I'll still be happy if the Panthers win and the Habs lose :D

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum