GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
spader
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
wprager
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 57 of 67]

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Yeah we've been retooling for 7 years. Time to go to 2nd gear

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

LeCaptain wrote:Yeah we've been retooling for 7 years. Time to go to 2nd gear

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yes I agree. That's why I keep saying all picks are on the table. Obviously not for a rental but if we can somehow bring in guys like fowler or shattenkirk to anchor the second pairing then we are looking more promising going forward.
It is going to cost us more than picks obviously. Anyone not called white or chabot is up for grabs but in the right deal maybe one of those might have to go.
Again, I'm not saying Hoffman, Chabot and a 1st but pick something.
If we could get shattenkirk with a guarantee he will resign then maybe it's worth moving Ceci, lazar and a 1st. Shatts would probably make wier look a lot better. Or maybe its a bigger deal like spezzD mentioned. Or we move Hoffman with wier and a 2nd for Fowler.

Whatever it is, you have to make a move at this point. This is not working.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:Nobody should; not even us.

Yes, we really should.  We need someone precisely like that and he loves Karlsson, so I think we can re-up with him for 7.5 per year or around there.

Hoffman is electric, but man do we ever need another D-man who doesn't suck like a vacuum.  What do we have?  Methot, Karlsson and perhaps you can throw in Boro for being a great third pairing guy.

You need more forwards that can play at Karlsson's level. Better players to play with our best player who is on the ice for half the game. Subtracting one of the few players that fits that description (Hoffman) doesn't help the situation at all.

I agree, but what are you going to get for Zibanejad?  Certainly nothing like Shattenkirk.  Maybe you could get someone like Brodin out of Minny for Z ++, but...when all is said and done, we've had this conversation over and over, year after year.  We NEED defence - and not just some guy, we need a top pairing guy to compliment Karlsson, or a guy who COULD be a top pairing guy to play on the 2nd pairing while Methot stays where he is.

It's tough to get, it'll likely not happen under Murray's regime, but that's what we need.

Add a D-Man and that player will still have to work with forwards that aren't up to snuff offensively or in terms of keeping the puck. An upgrade on Zibanejad would be nice but trading him for a D is a waste of time and an asset.

I'd sooner downgrade our D, which is impossible anyway, and upgrade our forwards because that's how you truly complement "Karls" Karlsson.

Couldn't disagree more.  Need a top notch D-man, our offence is fine anyway.  Turris, Ryan, Stone - and hopefully return of the Mac and emergence of young talents like White, Lazar, Pageau.  We need D.

I don't see how you replace Zib in a trade. None of the guy you mentioned can step to the 2nd C position. To me that is not a move the org makes to create a huge gap in the middle.
Pageau isn't looking like he'll be a top 6 C any time soon. Pageau is probably best suited to center that 3rd line and white.... You might want to see him at the pro level with a few games before appointing him as legitimate depth for that position.

We need a top 4 but not at the cost of Zib without having a legit replacement.

Zibanejad is on pace for 16 goals. Pageau, pretty much the same, with far fewer minutes. And if his winger wasn't Chiasson I'm sure his assists would ramp up significantly.

I'm not saying that Pageaus is a 2LC but he wouldn't be that far from replacing Zibanejad.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You need good depth at centre, so trading ZBad away leaves a gaping hole. Sure, you move Pageau up and hope for the best, but this isn't a long-term solution that will lead us to the promise land.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

LeCaptain wrote:I'm telling you Shattenkirk would be great here. At the moment he's playing with bottom 4 defensemen in St-Louis and is doing just fine. I think he could be great with Boro or Methot.
Ceci and Wiercioch are capable if they are a bottom 6 pairing.
I'll say it again, he is a top pairing D and will be paid as such, no way we pay him more than EK to play behind EK.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

At some point we might have to pay a D more than EK, and they're all playing behind EK. That's just the financial reality.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
Yes I agree. That's why I keep saying all picks are on the table. Obviously not for a rental but if we can somehow bring in guys like fowler or shattenkirk to anchor the second pairing then we are looking more promising going forward.
It is going to cost us more than picks obviously. Anyone not called white or chabot is up for grabs but in the right deal maybe one of those might have to go.
If we could get shattenkirk with a guarantee he will resign then maybe it's worth moving Ceci, lazar and a 1st. Shatts would probably make wier look a lot better. Or maybe its a bigger deal like spezzD mentioned. Or we move Hoffman with wier and a 2nd for Fowler.

Fowler would drive this fanbase bananas, he is not reliable at all.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

The only way to get a top tier D man is to overpay in a trade. There just aren't that many around. Maybe we could land somebody like Mattias Ekholm out of Nashville but it would likely cost something like Stone and either a pick or prospect so that they took Wiercioch back.

Adding wingers through FA works if you open the wallet a little. Need to unload Cowen and buyout Greening this summer.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:The only way to get a top tier D man is to overpay in a trade.  There just aren't that many around.  Maybe we could land somebody like Mattias Ekholm out of Nashville but it would likely cost something like Stone and either a pick or prospect so that they took Wiercioch back.

Adding wingers through FA works if you open the wallet a little.  Need to unload Cowen and buyout Greening this summer.

Islander need D help. Leddy, Boychuk, Hamonic injured. Wonder if they'd be interested in Cowen

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think the move would be to try to get Edler out of Vancouver and pair him with Karlsson. Ceci and a prospect (and maybe a pick) probably get you Edler. I'd try to angle Ceci, Chiasson, 2nd for Edler and call it a day.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:

I think at this point too you have to rule MacArthur out long-term. Curious: if he is put on LTIR does the NHLPA pick up his salary or do the Sens? Even if it extends into next season.

If Neil, Chiasson, MacArthur are off the books next season and you can move Cowen, Greening and another salary (Smith? Wiercioch?)without taking substantial salary back then I think you have to do it. Even if you have to buy out Cowen/Greening you do it. I think the goal at the deadline this year is to try to move some unnecessary salaries and try to get a defenceman from a seller who has a decent one signed long-term (2+ years)

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:The only way to get a top tier D man is to overpay in a trade.  There just aren't that many around.  Maybe we could land somebody like Mattias Ekholm out of Nashville but it would likely cost something like Stone and either a pick or prospect so that they took Wiercioch back.

Adding wingers through FA works if you open the wallet a little.  Need to unload Cowen and buyout Greening this summer.

Islander need D help. Leddy, Boychuk, Hamonic injured. Wonder if they'd be interested in Cowen

Now that's thinking. Let's do it.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think the move would be to try to get Edler out of Vancouver and pair him with Karlsson. Ceci and a prospect (and maybe a pick) probably get you Edler. I'd try to angle Ceci, Chiasson, 2nd for Edler and call it a day.  
Edler has a no trade and has made it clear he is staying put. He would be ideal but not happening.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

I think at this point too you have to rule MacArthur out long-term. Curious: if he is put on LTIR does the NHLPA pick up his salary or do the Sens? Even if it extends into next season.

If Neil, Chiasson, MacArthur are off the books next season and you can move Cowen, Greening and another salary (Smith? Wiercioch?)without taking substantial salary back then I think you have to do it. Even if you have to buy out Cowen/Greening you do it. I think the goal at the deadline this year is to try to move some unnecessary salaries and try to get a defenceman from a seller who has a decent one signed long-term (2+ years)

The team is responsible for salaries of injured players, although I have been told that both Phillips and Macs contracts were insured so they aren't affecting money out at the moment.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Did you guys listen to Lebrun on insider trading? He says the price for Drouin would be Ceci.
That's not exactly the high return we thought it might be. Apperently the sens don't want to part with Ceci. We'd probably need to adress the right side if we made hat deal creating more holes but you have to wonder.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Drouin for Ceci, Hoffman for Shattenkirk.

Murray vindicated.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Did you guys listen to Lebrun on insider trading? He says the price for Drouin would be Ceci.
That's not exactly the high return we thought it might be. Apperently the sens don't want to part with Ceci. We'd probably need to adress the right side if we made hat deal creating more holes but you have to wonder.

Wideman is better than Ceci right now so that should be an easy deal to make. Essentially, you would be addressing the right side by moving the Cecer while adding skill up front.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 57 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 62 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum