GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers

+7
wprager
Ev
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
tim1_2
rooneypoo
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

76Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:46 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Hockeystreams is starting to sound interesting with this terrible loonie (I pay 100$ US per year on NHL GCL)

However, I'd like to know if we can re-watch the games or rewind/forward them like in NHL GCL?

77Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:18 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

LeCaptain wrote:Hockeystreams is starting to sound interesting with this terrible loonie (I pay 100$ US per year on NHL GCL)

However, I'd like to know if we can re-watch the games or rewind/forward them like in NHL GCL?

At that price, I'd stick with GCL, honestly. You'll pay $100 US or thereabouts for HockeyStreams anyway. I would pay the $200 CAN for GCL if they didn't black out the local market games (i.e., all Ottawa games), no questions asked.

I haven't tried them yet, but, yes, I think HockeyStreams offers DVR and archive capabilities. When you load up a stream, you have an option just below the screen to play in "DVR" or "non-DVR" mode, which presumably means pause and resume capabilities. For archives, you click on 'on demand streams' and then choose by date or by team, etc.

78Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:20 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Looks like there is a way:
http://www.theipadguide.com/faq/does-ipad-have-hdmi-out-port

UPDATE: The iPad gets HDMI out with an accessory from Apple, the Digital AV Adapter.

For the Samsung SmartTV there was an app to download, I believe.

In any case, when I originally started streaming from my tablet to my TV (TV supports DLNA) I was using wifi on both ends and streaming downloaded HD content was nearly impossible.  Since hooking up my TV directly to the router I've had no issues (at least not with video).

Out of curiosity, what would be the advantage of streaming the game directly from the iPad to the TV via an HDMI cable rather than via AirPlay? Better quality, more stable, less bandwidth used?

79Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:54 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:

UPDATE: The iPad gets HDMI out with an accessory from Apple, the Digital AV Adapter.

In any case, when I originally started streaming from my tablet to my TV (TV supports DLNA) I was using wifi on both ends and streaming downloaded HD content was nearly impossible.  Since hooking up my TV directly to the router I've had no issues (at least not with video).

Out of curiosity, what would be the advantage of streaming the game directly from the iPad to the TV via an HDMI cable rather than via AirPlay? Better quality, more stable, less bandwidth used?

At least double the bandwidth (stream then upstream to the TV). Using a cable uses no bandwidth so no interference with WIFI

80Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:55 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I see that HockeyStreams is invite-only now ... Sad That's unfortunate.

81Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:Hockeystreams is starting to sound interesting with this terrible loonie (I pay 100$ US per year on NHL GCL)

At that price, I'd stick with GCL, honestly. You'll pay $100 US or thereabouts for HockeyStreams anyway. I would pay the $200 CAN for GCL if they didn't black out the local market games (i.e., all Ottawa games), no questions asked.

I haven't tried them yet, but, yes, I think HockeyStreams offers DVR and archive capabilities. When you load up a stream, you have an option just below the screen to play in "DVR" or "non-DVR" mode, which presumably means pause and resume capabilities. For archives, you click on 'on demand streams' and then choose by date or by team, etc.
You can re-watch games and pick them from a calendar. Even from previous years that were pre-subscription.
It's pretty sweet. But if you are getting GCL for the same price I don't know. The advantage of this site is also AHL and juniors games if you choose to wanna watch those. Personally I think I'll be watching a lot more bingo games this year than prior. That's should be a plus.

82Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:I see that HockeyStreams is invite-only now ... Sad That's unfortunate.
which means you send them your email and they invite you the next day

83Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:

Avoid using wifi on both ends. Wifi is a shared medium. Collisions are unavoidable. Streaming video is the worst in terms of how many packets are sent and how frequently, so if you can drop the number of such "conversations" in half it would certainly help.

84Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:30 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

You can re-watch games and pick them from a calendar. Even from previous years that were pre-subscription.
It's pretty sweet. But if you are getting GCL for the same price I don't know. The advantage of this site is also AHL and juniors games if you choose to wanna watch those. Personally I think I'll be watching a lot more bingo games this year than prior. That's should be a plus.

For me, the PVR aspect of it is really important (I live in Colorado, I can't start watching games at 5PM Smile ) ... also, I travel a lot for work so there are times where my wife (who is as big a #Sens fan as I am) will watch it at home while I watch it from a hotel room ... have you tried the PVR functionality?

85Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:05 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

For me, the PVR aspect of it is really important (I live in Colorado, I can't start watching games at 5PM Smile ) ... also, I travel a lot for work so there are times where my wife (who is as big a #Sens fan as I am) will watch it at home while I watch it from a hotel room ... have you tried the PVR functionality?
I have tried the replay game function once the game is done and that works fine. I don't know about PVR functions.
I'm usually I'm a situation where I misse the game or I'm watching it. Like tonight. It will be over by the time I get home.

86Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:16 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/247346-rogers-launches-4k-tv-4k-set-top-box.html

Drool

Chances are my next TV will be a 4k set. Chances are when my current 2-year contract with Bell is up I'll be looking at switching back (get a better deal, 10-tuner PVR, higher potential download speeds). In the meantime I believe my brother in law has a 4k set and is with Rogers. And he didn't renew his season tickets so if some Habs games are in 4k (he was born and raised in Montreal) he just might go for this (and I just might drop by).

87Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:22 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/195-rogers-high-speed-internet-home-phone/247354-rogers-gigabit-internet.html

And to stream that 4k content you need Gigabit Ethernet. Their 1000/50 service will be priced at $150/month for unlimited usage. And they are partnering with Netflix to provide more direct connection to Netflix servers.

$150/month plus $10f for Netflix plus whatever Shomi goes for. Interesting.

88Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:55 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Flo The Action wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:I see that HockeyStreams is invite-only now ... Sad That's unfortunate.

Nope. Never got the invite.

89Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Nope.  Never got the invite.
Send one again under a different email if you have one. I got my first one and waited over the 48hrs and retried and never got one, but tried under a different email address and got one. Have you checked your junk box?

90Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:51 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

can some one tell me if I have gamecenter and unblock us, will I be able to watch nhl playoffs? does gamecenter even broadcast nhl playoffs?

91Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers - Page 6 Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:can some one tell me if I have gamecenter and unblock us, will I be able to watch nhl playoffs?  does gamecenter even broadcast nhl playoffs?

Yes and yes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum