GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers

+7
wprager
Ev
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
tim1_2
rooneypoo
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:49 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Gents,

This year, I've decided to stick it to Rogers. I've always watched all my Sens games via cable, and because I live in the Ottawa market, that means I've been paying $85 a month (almost $900 a year!) to Rogers like a sucker. No more!

Anyway, my plan is to buy an Apple TV box (~$100, one-time expense), then sign up for NHL Game Centre (~$200 per year), then sign up with Unblock Us (~$50 a year) to mask my IP address to make it look like I'm in Phoenix or wherever.

Anyone currently do anything like this now? If so, what's the experience been like? Any pro tips?

2Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:31 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think your proposed plan should work fine, although I can't speak from experience, as I've never used anything to alter my IP address.

Quick question for anyone that might know: Once you subscribe to Game Centre, is there any way to cancel your subscription and get some money back?

3Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:40 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I wouldn't bother with any of that. Just subscribe to a hockey providing streaming site in Europe. You will get NHL, Khl and all other games for something like 100$ a year, my friend did it and it was fine quality. I think that's my plan for next season.

4Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:42 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

http://www6.hockeystreams.com
Take the 6 months package if you want. Much cheaper.
I'm serious. This is what people should get.

5Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:12 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:http://www6.hockeystreams.com

There's always more risk with less "legit" options...but yeah, I've been intrigued by this site before. I think they even have an app or "channel" for some media devices like the Roku 3.

6Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:18 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Is this that somewhat legit site run by Natives?

7Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:22 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I have been with Unblock US and Gamecenter Live for 2 seasons now. No complaints.
I make 5 payments of $20 US dollar for NHL GCL by the way, not $200. You have to sign up on NHL.com with a US IP address to get that price.

8Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:24 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:I think your proposed plan should work fine, although I can't speak from experience, as I've never used anything to alter my IP address.  

Quick question for anyone that might know: Once you subscribe to Game Centre, is there any way to cancel your subscription and get some money back?  

Just take the 5 payments of $20 option and you can cancel in between.

9Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:25 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeCaptain wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:I think your proposed plan should work fine, although I can't speak from experience, as I've never used anything to alter my IP address.  

Interesting. So Game Centre is only $100 for Americans?

10Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:25 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think you should go the GameCentre route because MLB Advanced Media has taken over the NHL digital operation and they are pure gold when it comes to digital media/streaming services, apparently.

11Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:28 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:

Interesting.  So Game Centre is only $100 for Americans?

See: Subway.

12Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:30 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'll look into this myself if no one else knows. I think the access to AHL games makes this attractive as well.

13Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:35 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:

Interesting.  So Game Centre is only $100 for Americans?

See: Subway.

Subway needed to jack up the Canadian prices to feed their ridiculous advertising budget comprised mainly of rendering 3D monkeys.

14Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:36 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I'll look into this myself if no one else knows. I think the access to AHL games makes this attractive as well.

Yeah, I had no idea myself when I looked at this site last year. Whoever runs it must be something of a legal grey area/technological genius since they've been doing it for a while now.

15Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Empty Re: Bypassing Cable; or, FU Rogers Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Subway is awful now. Pita Pit > Subway.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum