GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+14
SensHulk
Oglethorpe
rooneypoo
Flo The Action
tim1_2
LeCaptain
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Ev
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 64 of 67]

DirtyDave

Rookie
Rookie

@Senators: BREAKING: National Hockey League arbitrator has awarded #Sens forward Alex Chiasson a one-year contract at $1.2 million.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:Thank god for that, then.  $1.2M.  Git'r done!  3 hours late already.

Guess I could have saved us all a little time and coffee.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Now, Hoffman. With this guy there's actually a chance he could get awarded a large enough amount that the Sens could walk away. Although if it's the same arbitrator then Hoffman is probably not getting more than $3M. And, honestly, I'm OK with that. One year, prove that wasn't a fluke (which it was, to a certain extent).

NEELY

Mod
Mod

1.2 for Chaisson is pretty much what everyone had his value pegged as. At that price it might be worth it to keep him around but being signed to that 1.2 mil deal will also make it easy to move him. IMO that's a player that clearly hasn't gotten it yet because of this arb case... he doesn't believe he is only what he's proven to this point and that's a border line NHLer fighting for time on the 4th line.

To me, you try and get a 2nd or 3rd for him and just move on. The Sens clearly don't view him with any real value, Chaisson thinks he's better than he is, and there are better players being developed by the organization that deserves a shot.

I look at a guy like Robinson, is he really that much of a worse option than Chaisson? Probably not. He was also signed and developed by the organization to this point and like we saw last year, they players that were drafted and signed as prospects by the Sens were the ones that carried the team. Karlsson, Stone, Hammond... Turris also did and he was very much developed by the Sens as well.

Just move Chaisson, the prize from the Spezza deal is Paul and you hope Gagne develops and works out as that 2nd rounder. Chaisson and Guptil aren't going to change the look of the team, just move on from them.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Now, Hoffman. With this guy there's actually a chance he could get awarded a large enough amount that the Sens could walk away.  Although if it's the same arbitrator then Hoffman is probably not getting more than $3M.  And, honestly, I'm OK with that.  One year, prove that wasn't a fluke (which it was, to a certain extent).

There's no chance Hoffman gets awarded so much that Ottawa walks away. He'll likely get between $3M and $4M if it gets to arbitration, which hopefully itt won't.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I don't even think it gets to arbitration with Hoffman, I think he signs a 3 year deal at 3 mil per and the two sides move on before it gets messy.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:I don't even think it gets to arbitration with Hoffman, I think he signs a 3 year deal at 3 mil per and the two sides move on before it gets messy.

Nah, he's getting one year for sure.

As for Chiasson I wouldn't move him. I wanna see him this year. Cheap salary and could easily be a good fourth liner.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Now, Hoffman. With this guy there's actually a chance he could get awarded a large enough amount that the Sens could walk away.  Although if it's the same arbitrator then Hoffman is probably not getting more than $3M.  And, honestly, I'm OK with that.  One year, prove that wasn't a fluke (which it was, to a certain extent).

There's no chance Hoffman gets awarded so much that Ottawa walks away. He'll likely get between $3M and $4M if it gets to arbitration, which hopefully itt won't.

They might have to walk away from Chiasson's 1.2 to make it fit due to, er, smart spending. We can't start spending like drunken sailors.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If The Chiasser can even play, let's say, 50 games like he did his firt 10 last season, he will set himself up for a huge payday.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:1.2 for Chaisson is pretty much what everyone had his value pegged as.  At that price it might be worth it to keep him around but being signed to that 1.2 mil deal will also make it easy to move him.  IMO that's a player that clearly hasn't gotten it yet because of this arb case... he doesn't believe he is only what he's proven to this point and that's a border line NHLer fighting for time on the 4th line.

To me, you try and get a 2nd or 3rd for him and just move on.  The Sens clearly don't view him with any real value, Chaisson thinks he's better than he is, and there are better players being developed by the organization that deserves a shot.

I look at a guy like Robinson, is he really that much of a worse option than Chaisson?  Probably not.  He was also signed and developed by the organization to this point and like we saw last year, they players that were drafted and signed as prospects by the Sens were the ones that carried the team.  Karlsson, Stone, Hammond... Turris also did and he was very much developed by the Sens as well.

Just move Chaisson, the prize from the Spezza deal is Paul and you hope Gagne develops and works out as that 2nd rounder.  Chaisson and Guptil aren't going to change the look of the team, just move on from them.

But can they trade him? I used to think they could walk away from him since it was the player who filed for arbitration, but that wasn't the case. I also thought that they couldn't trade a player if the team filed for arbitration, but could if it was the player who filed. Now I'm not at all clear of the rules.

I like Buddy, I really do. But Chiasson scored 6 goals in his first 7 games. He's shown an ability to score goals in this league whereas Buddy hasn't really done much scoring even at the AHL level.

As for Chiasson thinking he's better than he is, don't you think getting less than half what you were asking for will reset that a bit? He has to work his Donkey off this year or not only is he not getting $2.475M next season, but he's probably not getting paid in US currency.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:

I don't disagree, but if Chiasson filed at $2.475 then Hoffman will file around $4M. So there is a chance. But, yeah, no chance.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Everyone is saying Hoffman's case goes to arbitration. Especially now with how Chiasson's went the team probably thinks they'll get a better deal from arbitration than trying to negotiate with the agent.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoffman's asking $3.8M, Sens coming in at $2M.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Hoffman's asking $3.8M, Sens coming in at $2M.

False. There are no reported numbers.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

1.2 sounds about right.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's good to see that arbitration isn't over inflating contracts as well. You might see a few more contracts head that way now.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:Hoffman's asking $3.8M, Sens coming in at $2M.

We'll assume this is the right info, it's pretty clear that Hoffman is going to sign for around 3 mil either on a 1 or 3 year deal. 2 years makes no sense for the Sens.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Simpson tweeted that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 64 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum