GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Sens @ Blackhawks: Sunday, Oct. 26, 7:00 PM

+6
Flo The Action
Ev
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
NEELY
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:Saying that the defense is no good is the easy answer. When you can't connect on an easy pass and end up losing the puck, that's just as bad or worse and it happens WAY too often with this team.

There's some really fundamental stuff that needs to be corrected. Errant passes, missing the net, winning the faceoff but getting beat to the puck...

The only guys that play with any real gusto every single night are MacArthur, Michalek and Neil. How can you not get fired up being on the same team as those guys? Zibanejad was solid in the last 7 minutes or so and that's been about the story of his season so far. I used to picture Radek Bonk in a nightcap skating around with his eyes closed and Zibanejad is starting to conjure up the same images.

I'd throw Chaisson into that group. Boroweicki as well. Turris does in his own way as well but he will never be physically dominate.

Zibanejad def needs to step it up but again he was very raw when he was drafted and the tools are all still there. Big body, big shot, great skater, but not exactly the best hockey sense in the world.

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:Zibanejad struggling right now isn't the end of the world... this is going to be a 2,3 year process getting him to where he needs to be. Doesn't take away from the fact that right now he's dragging guys around him down and he's now getting shifts with a guy like Greening. Something eventually needs to click with him otherwise he is going to struggle to produce at the NHL level.
Zibnejad struggling could be significant if Lazar stays all year, I can see Lazar taking a top 6 centre position away from him by the end of the year.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I love Lazar and I think he's going to be the teams #1 or 2 center with Turris for a long time. That said Lazar hasn't shown anything up to this point where he has raised himself above Zibanejad. I think by the end of the year he will but right now there is no justification for moving Lazar into that spot when he's just trying to figure out how things work on and off the ice.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:I love Lazar and I think he's going to be the teams #1 or 2 center with Turris for a long time. That said Lazar hasn't shown anything up to this point where he has raised himself above Zibanejad. I think by the end of the year he will but right now there is no justification for moving Lazar into that spot when he's just trying to figure out how things work on and off the ice.
Hence the reason I said by the end of the year. If Z-bad isn't going to produce offensively, he won't be able to keep Lazar at bay past this season.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

With the way Colorado is struggling and the cap issues they will have in the near future with no D men worth much beyond Barrie and Johnson... Sens should be looking to get O'Reilly in a bad way. Things are still sour there, there is a power struggle in that room between players... maybe worth a shot. Zibanejad and a D man would be the obvious return.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Just looking at the way they play I would say the guys who will be a core part of this team when it is competing for a cup are:

Lehner

Karlsson
Ceci
Borowiecki

Turris
Ryan
Lazar
Chiasson
MacArthur (borderline IMO)

Everyone else is complementary in my mind and those are the pieces that should be used to find the remaining pieces.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:With the way Colorado is struggling and the cap issues they will have in the near future with no D men worth much beyond Barrie and Johnson... Sens should be looking to get O'Reilly in a bad way.  Things are still sour there, there is a power struggle in that room between players... maybe worth a shot.  Zibanejad and a D man would be the obvious return.

Would they part with The Skög?

"Pröbably nöt."

NEELY

Mod
Mod

They still believe Cowen is in that group.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:They still believe Cowen is in that group.

I think they still believe but they're on the edge IMO. Last year they let Cowen play through all his struggles while Wiercioch sat.

This time he's in the pressbox and MacLean flat out saying he has to work on things.

I'm not sure what will happen but like with Rundblad they need to make the right call on what Cowen(and Wiercioch) will or won't be and act accordingly.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:They still believe Cowen is in that group.
The thing that bothers me most about Cowen is how he makes his mistakes, not the number of mistakes. I can forgive the pinches that lead to odd man rushes, or missing assignments in the d zone because you chase a little too much, missing someone at the blueline trying to step up and make a big hit or having outlet passes intercepted. Cowen makes a ton of mistakes by being too passive and indecisive, he is lost in his own zone and most of his giveaways are caused by waiting to long to either move the puck by an outlet pass or to fire it off the glass.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:Just looking at the way they play I would say the guys who will be a core part of this team when it is competing for a cup are:

Lehner

Karlsson
Ceci
Borowiecki

Turris
Ryan
Lazar
Chiasson
MacArthur (borderline IMO)

Everyone else is complementary in my mind and those are the pieces that should be used to find the remaining pieces.

Nothing borderline about MacArthur.  That guy is probably the smartest player on the team.  Just oozes "hockey sense", and can play the PK and PP, in addition to any line on the team...although he's cemented himself with Turris for now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Chiasson is really good. What a nice surprise.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:Chiasson is really good.  What a nice surprise.

The kid's been really good.  If ZBad wasn't holding that line back in general, Chiasson would be even more noticeable.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:
The goaltending is better but part of that is the area where the shots are coming from.  For instance, last night I don't remember many if any, great saves from Anderson.  43 shots against but there were a high number from the perimeter without any traffic in front.  Does anyone know where I can find shot charts ?

Pretty sure the NHL.com game recap/boxscore used to have a shot-chart, but I can't find it now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum