GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Sens @ Blackhawks: Sunday, Oct. 26, 7:00 PM

+6
Flo The Action
Ev
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
NEELY
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Right back at it. Get back on that bike/horse/other suitable analogy.

The Sens played well enough not to lose last night. Fluke high-stick in OT sank them as they got screwed over by another 42-year-old European when Jagr scored the winner on the ensuing powerplay. Lehner saved the game earlier and deserved at least a chance to extend the Devils' shootout losing streak. Guess Legwand is buying him dinner.

Anyhow, expect some changes to the lineup now that the win streak is over and there are some tired legs on the roster. Anderson will be in goal, playing in his home town. Stone and Lazar only had 18 shifts each last night -- don't think they are tired, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them got a night off. Zibanejad did precious little with his ice time last game and really is beginning to look like he is in need of a kick in the lower-posterior region. There's a good chance he's lost his winger, Ryan, as the old top line was reunited last night with immediate results. Ryan's tying goal gave the Sens the loser point.

GO SENS GO!

NEELY

Mod
Mod

If they can snag a point tonight then mission accomplished this weekend. Last night was a different night for the Sens, hadn't played in a week, and espite lapses in play they worked for every goal they got and the point the put in the bank. Tonight, if they can play at par with the Hawks who are coming off a loss then they could be ok.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The good:
The Sens held the opposition to 29 shots on goal, and that includes 3 on the OT power play. First time this season they got under 30. That said, it was against a tired opponent, as the Devils played the night before in NewJersey.

The bad:
The Devils out-blocked the Sens 21-12. They couldn't get in the way 4 times per period. I don't remember the last time the Sens got more blocked shots than their opposition. I'm not saying they should be blocking 30 shots per game, but right now Ottawa sits dead-last in the league in total blocked shots. This is not a recent development.

The ugly:
Turnovers killed this team, yet again. Karlsson's awful pass on the first goal, then Legwand on the OT winner. U*G*L*Y

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just reviewed the highlights. On the first goal, I already talked about the bad pass from Karlsson -- maybe he put it behind MacArthur on purpose, because there was a Devils player just ahead of him, but in that case it was the wrong choice. Karlsson can bust the trap by carrying the puck himself, or shoot it in with the wingers flying and beating the icing call, or carry it to the red line and shoot it in deep. Would've been a good time for Phillips to block a shot, though.

On the Legwand giveaway, he just coasted back, never tried to get the puck back. I realize it was Jagr in on Phillips with another Sens player nearby and no Devils around (think they were going for a change), but he certainly had time to catch up to Jagr. Pretty sure there wouldn't have been a goal if he had pressure from behind. Didn't like that play from Legwand at all, both the weak effort in the backhand pass that resulted in the turnover, and not trying to get that puck back.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

No morning skate today for either team, so we're probably not going to get any indication on lineup changes. Carcillo injured his knee so he will be out for the Hawks. I would be surprised if MacLean did not make changes. Wouldn't mind seeing Greening -- fresh legs, and he's big and fast to begin with.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I imagine we'll see Condra or Greening in, but not both.

Who knows if Cowen gets in. It would make sense given we're on a back to back, but you kind of get the sense that Mac isn't happy with him.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:I imagine we'll see Condra or Greening in, but not both.

Who knows if Cowen gets in. It would make sense given we're on a back to back, but you kind of get the sense that Mac isn't happy with him.

I guess it all depends on how he's doing in practices. When was that time PMac pulled him over and had a long discussion with him? When a player is doing everything you're asking of him you don't have to talk to them at practice. But I think that was a week ago, they've had a few on-ice sessions since then.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Not blocking shots, no traffic in front of the opponents net and missing the net. Frustrating and persistent.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cowen should play today. No reason not to.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

you're going to have to play him at one point, for better or worse.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

We're playing a third string goalie tonight. Can't believed how undervalued we are tonight

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:We're playing a third string goalie tonight. Can't believed how undervalued we are tonight

Good time to test him out based on what we have seen so far.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Cowen should play today. No reason not to.

Plenty of reasons not to. Plenty of reasons the other way, too. Since Chicago is playing the second game in two nights I'd say this is the best time to put him in.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:Cowen should play today. No reason not to.

Plenty of reasons not to.  Plenty of reasons the other way, too.  Since Chicago is playing the second game in two nights I'd say this is the best time to put him in.

Please proceed.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Ev wrote:We're playing a third string goalie tonight. Can't believed how undervalued we are tonight

Good time to test him out based on what we have seen so far.

We've been playing well. Only one regulation loss.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum