GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Sens @ Blackhawks: Sunday, Oct. 26, 7:00 PM

+6
Flo The Action
Ev
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
NEELY
wprager
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It was generous that this was only a 2-1 loss.  Our one goal should've never happened, and Chicago should've had a couple more.

The one bright spot was Matrix .  As I've said all season, we're playing pretty much the same way we were last year.

The one thing Z-Bad (his nickname is not Zibby, that is slang for penis is Iranian or something) did well was faceoffs.  He was 59%.  Everyone else was terrible at it.

Oh well, didn't really expect to beat Chicago.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This was the best team in the league or close to it, I still think we're playing far far better than last year. Plus this is without a Top 4 d in our lineup.

We're taking care of the east which is good

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:Never mind trade value right now.  Imagine subbing Methot for Weircioch?  Much less of a cluster**** and a much calmer top 4.  

"Karls" Karlsson hasn't been so hot either.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:This was the best team in the league or close to it, I still think we're playing far far better than last year. Plus this is without a Top 4 d in our lineup.

Yeah, we don't have to beat the top teams if we continue to find ways to beat the rest. I'm not seeing much to indicate we 're playing "far better" than last year, but we'll see how things progress. The goaltending has been pretty sharp, and that alone might be enough to get us in the playoffs.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:This was the best team in the league or close to it, I still think we're playing far far better than last year. Plus this is without a Top 4 d in our lineup.

Yeah, we don't have to beat the top teams if we continue to find ways to beat the rest. I'm not seeing much to indicate we 're playing "far better" than last year, but we'll see how things progress. The goaltending has been pretty sharp, and that alone might be enough to get us in the playoffs.

it's been sharp but I don't think they're stealing games. Lots of shots from the perimeter and not a huge number of quality chances from what I've seen.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Cowen will be in next game... no reason to have Wiercoich in there at this point, none. He hasn't brought any of the offense he is supposed to bring to the table thus hasn't stood out. His defensive lapses and unphysical play is acceptable as long as he is doing the things he dos well... well he does them well.

Zibanejad... so unimpressed to this point it's a little scary. For guy they wanted to be a top 2 center he hasn't even shown he should be in the lineup on a regular basis. This is a young player and he should be given patients but at some a message is going to have to be sent. He's done nothing for 3 weeks and if there was any competition other than Lazar for a center spot Zibanejad would have lost it by now.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

zibanejad is simple. His added weight has held him back. He's getting it back as he is cutting weight during the year.

Honestly not too bad if he has a poor/decent year as we can get him for cheap on his next deal.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Zibanejad struggling right now isn't the end of the world... this is going to be a 2,3 year process getting him to where he needs to be. Doesn't take away from the fact that right now he's dragging guys around him down and he's now getting shifts with a guy like Greening. Something eventually needs to click with him otherwise he is going to struggle to produce at the NHL level.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

tim1_2 wrote:

To me the team has been playing much better than last year. The forecheck is better, they don't get hemmed in the defensive zone nearly as much, better speed (with some glaring exceptions), better at forcing other team to the perimeter when defending, better back checking from forwards and better goaltending.

The goaltending is better but part of that is the area where the shots are coming from. For instance, last night I don't remember many if any, great saves from Anderson. 43 shots against but there were a high number from the perimeter without any traffic in front. Does anyone know where I can find shot charts ?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Zibanejad struggling right now isn't the end of the world... this is going to be a 2,3  year process getting him to where he needs to be.  Doesn't take away from the fact that right now he's dragging guys around him down and he's now getting shifts with a guy like Greening.  Something eventually needs to click with him otherwise he is going to struggle to produce at the NHL level.

he's winning a lot of faceoffs though which is very important and something he wasn't doing before this season. Yesterday he looked good with Michalek. I don't think he's dragging anybody down yet.

Good defensively, good on the draw. Things he doesn't need to work on which is good.

Don't forget a guy like Niederreiter who had 1 point in his second NHL season.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

The Sens have been better overall than last year without question, they have worked harder, haven't lost a game by more than a goal, the goaltending for the most part has been great, and overall they have play a sound game without the puck.

The parts where this team is struggling right now is that #4 spot on the left side of the blueline... Phillips isn't good enough to be a #2 beside Karlsson but he's doing the job so that man gets a gold star. Boroweicki is showing he's a legit NHL d man, great start to his season. Cowen and Wiercioch, 2 guys the organization has poured a ton of time, money, and resources into are the guys that are disappointing. Basically this team needs Methot back right now.

The other part that everyone and their mothers knew was going to struggle is the offense. They have been getting some chances but once guys start to find some chemistry and a legit #2 center can be found they will be solid. Zibanejad isn't pulling his weight right now, Legwand is a #3 center, and there are just too many roster spots right now being taken up.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Saying that the defense is no good is the easy answer. When you can't connect on an easy pass and end up losing the puck, that's just as bad or worse and it happens WAY too often with this team.

There's some really fundamental stuff that needs to be corrected. Errant passes, missing the net, winning the faceoff but getting beat to the puck...

The only guys that play with any real gusto every single night are MacArthur, Michalek and Neil. How can you not get fired up being on the same team as those guys? Zibanejad was solid in the last 7 minutes or so and that's been about the story of his season so far. I used to picture Radek Bonk in a nightcap skating around with his eyes closed and Zibanejad is starting to conjure up the same images.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:Zibanejad struggling right now isn't the end of the world... this is going to be a 2,3  year process getting him to where he needs to be.  Doesn't take away from the fact that right now he's dragging guys around him down and he's now getting shifts with a guy like Greening.  Something eventually needs to click with him otherwise he is going to struggle to produce at the NHL level.

he's winning a lot of faceoffs though which is very important and something he wasn't doing before this season. Yesterday he looked good with Michalek. I don't think he's dragging anybody down yet.

Good defensively, good on the draw. Things he doesn't need to work on which is good.

I have stated before that Zibanejad's development looks a lot like Kessler's and looks a lot like Fisher's... that's who he will eventually be. Winning draws for a young guy is huge, that doesn't happen a lot but by the same token Malholtra wins a lot of draws too... his line isn't doing anything when they have the puck so winning the faceoffs where ever they might be loses it's importance.

He needs to watch the game from above, he might be above being sent down at this point but he isn't above being scratched.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:Saying that the defense is no good is the easy answer. When you can't connect on an easy pass and end up losing the puck, that's just as bad or worse and it happens WAY too often with this team.

There's some really fundamental stuff that needs to be corrected. Errant passes, missing the net, winning the faceoff but getting beat to the puck...

The only guys that play with any real gusto every single night are MacArthur, Michalek and Neil. How can you not get fired up being on the same team as those guys? Zibanejad was solid in the last 7 minutes or so and that's been about the story of his season so far. I used to picture Radek Bonk in a nightcap skating around with his eyes closed and Zibanejad is starting to conjure up the same images.

Cool if he's Bonk then that's more than we can ask for.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Ev wrote:

I have stated before that Zibanejad's development looks a lot like Kessler's and looks a lot like Fisher's... that's who he will eventually be.  Winning draws for a young guy is huge, that doesn't happen a lot but by the same token Malholtra wins a lot of draws too... his line isn't doing anything when they have the puck so winning the faceoffs where ever they might be loses it's importance.  

He needs to watch the game from above, he might be above being sent down at this point but he isn't above being scratched.

I don't think he's above being sent down.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:Saying that the defense is no good is the easy answer. When you can't connect on an easy pass and end up losing the puck, that's just as bad or worse and it happens WAY too often with this team.

I'd throw Chaisson into that group. Boroweicki as well. Turris does in his own way as well but he will never be physically dominate.

Zibanejad def needs to step it up but again he was very raw when he was drafted and the tools are all still there. Big body, big shot, great skater, but not exactly the best hockey sense in the world.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:Zibanejad struggling right now isn't the end of the world... this is going to be a 2,3 year process getting him to where he needs to be. Doesn't take away from the fact that right now he's dragging guys around him down and he's now getting shifts with a guy like Greening. Something eventually needs to click with him otherwise he is going to struggle to produce at the NHL level.
Zibnejad struggling could be significant if Lazar stays all year, I can see Lazar taking a top 6 centre position away from him by the end of the year.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I love Lazar and I think he's going to be the teams #1 or 2 center with Turris for a long time. That said Lazar hasn't shown anything up to this point where he has raised himself above Zibanejad. I think by the end of the year he will but right now there is no justification for moving Lazar into that spot when he's just trying to figure out how things work on and off the ice.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum