GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question about BluRay player and old TV

+3
Hoags
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How about this???

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about this???

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

That may or may not solve your issue (HDCP could still be an issue).

I am telling you that your best solution to this problem is to get a slightly older Blu-Ray player that has component.

Here: http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Sony-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player-with-remote-manual-HDMI-MINT-W0QQAdIdZ552090349

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

WTH is that? $77? And all it saves you is an audio connector to the TV (you still need audio cables to the adaptor, the only thing this thing does is combine DVI and audio onto HDMI out). That's a lot of money for the ability to hide a pair of audio cables (or a single TOS-link cable).

I haven't seen a player in a while that had component outputs. Tim's right, you'd need to look at an older player. Of course finding one of those that also has smart tv functions will be difficult.

You can also get a DVI to Component adaptor or adaptor/cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=dvi+to+component

You won't find these at a FS or BB, I don't think, but maybe a local PC store (if you don't want to wait for the shipping).

BTW, double checked the inputs on your set and it won't take optical audio -- will have to go with simple RCA stereo.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The unit I linked to on Kijiji will allow you to connect to the internet/Netflix.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:The unit I linked to on Kijiji will allow you to connect to the internet/Netflix.

I'd be a little leery. He says he paid $300 for it -- either he's lying or he bought it 5 years ago. My gut says he's lying, so the question is why? If Netflix is all he needs, then fine. Won't be wireless, for sure, but that may not be a problem.

I was looking into the wireless extenders, and many of them will have a wired port you can hook into.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

WTH is that?  $77?  And all it saves you is an audio connector to the TV (you still need audio cables to the adaptor, the only thing this thing does is combine DVI and audio onto HDMI out).  That's a lot of money for the ability to hide a pair of audio cables

If I want to connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray I can't do it directly so why isn't this a good option? It allows the Blu-Ray to be connected to the TV and I get the audio or am I missing something here?

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Looks like most modern blu-ray players don't have component out. I guess the movie industry got to them. Bastids.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:

WTH is that?  $77?  And all it saves you is an audio connector to the TV (you still need audio cables to the adaptor, the only thing this thing does is combine DVI and audio onto HDMI out).  That's a lot of money for the ability to hide a pair of audio cables

If I want to connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray I can't do it directly so why isn't this a good option?  It allows the Blu-Ray to be connected to the TV and I get the audio or am I missing something here?

Because of the ridiculous cost.

54Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:38 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:

If I want to connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray I can't do it directly so why isn't this a good option?  It allows the Blu-Ray to be connected to the TV and I get the audio or am I missing something here?

How else do I connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray? What is the cost of a DVI adapter and whatever else I'd need in order to get audio?

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fired up the old HD DVD player today... for the HD Fireplace HD DVD! HA HA! It still works. Beauty.

Also, we have to watch the obligatory "Christmas Vacation" move, which I have in HD DVD.

Griswold's FTW!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:

How else do I connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray?  What is the cost of a DVI adapter and whatever else I'd need in order to get audio?

I guess I'm getting all confused as to what you have and what you don't. Strike that idea about the DVI to component adaptor -- that's for projectors which use a DVI connector for their component input. I keep forgetting that DVI/HDMI is digital so you cannot simply adapt the signal to analog components. You would need a powered converter unit and those are not that cheap.

I think your best bet is looking for an older player like the one Tim posted which has component out, or something that doesn't support HDCP.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Another possibility is to use a home theater receiver that will do the HDCP hand-shaking for you; you would likely be able to find one with component outputs.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

In case anyone is still interested in powerline ethernet, Dell.ca has a starter kit (one remote point) on sale:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Wireless_WiFi/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A6937331

59Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:01 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Starting to think I'm better off just buying a new TV.

- Unknown Author

60Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:31 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Starting to think I'm better off just buying a new TV.
Atta girl.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Obviously. And they are quite inexpensive these days.

62Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:59 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:

Obviously.  And they are quite inexpensive these days.

And think of all the room you'd save. Why, with the TV right up against the wall instead of sticking out 3 feet, you have a bigger room. Which, naturally, means a bigger TV. Check the New Plasma TV thread for links to some 70" and 80" sets on sale.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I have 4 words for you:

RCA Streaming Media Box

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-DSB872WR-WiFi-Streaming-Box/21998220#Item+Description

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum