GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question about BluRay player and old TV

+3
Hoags
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Question about BluRay player and old TV Empty Question about BluRay player and old TV Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm thinking of buying a "Smart" BluRay player so I can stream Netflix on my old TV.

Things to consider:
1 - TV is from 2003 and is a Panasonic Wide Screen HD Rear Projection TV.
2 - Modem is on the top floor and this TV would be in the basement. This part is important because I actually had to move the modem upstairs so that the Smart TV in my room would get the Wifi signal. It has been fine for my AppleTV device on the mainfloor but I'm not sure how this will work for a Wifi BluRay 2 floors away from the modem.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'm thinking of buying a "Smart" BluRay player so I can stream Netflix on my old TV.

Things to consider:
1 - TV is from 2003 and is a Panasonic Wide Screen HD Rear Projection TV.
2 - Modem is on the top floor and this TV would be in the basement. This part is important because I actually had to move the modem upstairs so that the Smart TV in my room would get the Wifi signal.  It has been fine for my AppleTV device on the mainfloor but I'm not sure how this will work for a Wifi BluRay 2 floors away from the modem.

My "smart bluray player" is my PS3. It's got wifi built in and works fine (PS3 is on main floor, wifi router on second floor). You can always get a repeater (or extender or booster or whatever you want to call it):
http://wi-fi-booster-review.toptenreviews.com/

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

What input does your TV have? I imagine you don't have HDCP on that. Not sure if that's a problem or not with using component, I don't think they use the Image Constraint Token feature yet(downsampling to 540p on non HDCP output)

You'd have to test WiFi speeds from your basement over WiFi, MyWiFi router is on my ground floor so I get a decent signal upstairs and basement.

Worst case scenario you could invest in powerline ethernet and just connect do a wired connection from the Blu-Ray player to the modem? Do you have a router with any ethernet ports available? I just set up powerline ethernet in my house last night and it works great.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Modem is on the top floor and the TV and bluRay would be in the basement. Not sure I want to run a line from my bedroom to the basement.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I read a bit about Power line Ethernet and it sounds pretty cool. I'm not tech savvy to put it mildly so how would it work between a modem and a BlueRay player or is that even possible?

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:What input does your TV have? I imagine you don't have HDCP on that.  Not sure if that's a problem or not with using component, I don't think they use the Image Constraint Token feature yet(downsampling to 540p on non HDCP output)

You'd have to test WiFi speeds from your basement over WiFi, MyWiFi router is on my ground floor so I get a decent signal upstairs and basement.

Worst case scenario you could invest in powerline ethernet and just connect do a wired connection from the Blu-Ray player to the modem? Do you have a router with any ethernet ports available?  I just set up powerline ethernet in my house last night and it works great.

These are the inputs: multiple component, RCA, S-video

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Question about BluRay player and old TV Hdtv10

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think there is a very good reason why powerline ethernet hasn't really caught on.

For $40 you can get a wifi booster -- just stick it on the main floor.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I read a bit about Power line Ethernet and it sounds pretty cool.  I'm not tech savvy to put it mildly so how would it work between a modem and a BlueRay player or is that even possible?

1) plug an adapter into a wall socket near your blu-ray player
2) plug an adapter into a wall socket near your modem
3) plug an RJ-45 cable from your blu-ray player and your modem into the respective  adapter
4) Done

wprager wrote:I think there is a very good reason why powerline ethernet hasn't really caught on.

For $40 you can get a wifi booster -- just stick it on the main floor.

Yeah that's a good point, powerline ethernet isn't very cheap compared to a booster. I didn't want to stick a WiFi adapter into my PCs which are now upstairs and PS3 wireless sucks.

I got this which made sense for me to hook up 2 PCs and a PS3.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/d-link-d-link-powerline-av500-3-port-hd-media-starter-kit-dhp-p339av-dhp-p339av/10237456.aspx?path=6637c82818b1115fc653e512a2b02ebcen02

WiFi Booster probably makes more sense for you.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I see DVI!!!! HA HA!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:I see DVI!!!! HA HA!

Now, now, Shabbs, it's not nice to make fun of those less fortunate than yourself.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

22 seconds in they're a man down.  What's going on?  At least Steen ends up going to the quiet room for 10.

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread.

13Question about BluRay player and old TV Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:03 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Amazon has Roku LT on for $37. RCA jacks are there as well as built in wifi.

14Question about BluRay player and old TV Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:31 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Easy now. I do have 2 other TVs that aren't a decade old you know. I just don't see the point in trashing a perfectly good 53' HDTV just because it's old. I have a 50' plasma on the main floor and a 27' LED Smart TV in the bedroom.  Dammit! 

- Unknown Author

15Question about BluRay player and old TV Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:37 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Easy now. I do have 2 other TVs that aren't a decade old you know. I just don't see the point in trashing a perfectly good 53' HDTV just because it's old. I have a 50' plasma on the main floor and a 27' LED Smart TV in the bedroom.  Dammit! 
Heh. Just buggin'. You got component inputs there. Hopefully you can use those.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum