GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question to mull over - a new feature for August - QUESTION 1

+4
The Silfer Server
Amnesia021
Riprock
PTFlea
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is the time of year where it gets a little painful as die hard fans. There's little going on (unless you're the Hawks), the roster is almost set. Entertain us!

I've looked around for some of the most fun questions to ask on the net - and I'll try to post one a day. Smile

Question 1:
Speaking of the Hawks...who will be the biggest loss for the 'Hawks and why?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Dustin Byfuglien. Who else can they get that big to scrap, hit, crash the net, screen the goalie and score? I don't buy into the overrated argument, I think he is a raw talent. They will miss his size.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Dustin Byfuglien. Who else can they get that big to scrap, hit, crash the net, screen the goalie and score? I don't buy into the overrated argument, I think he is a raw talent. They will miss his size.

Can't decide between him and Versteeg. I'll agree with you I think, size, tenacity and the fact that Buff was starting to convert chances into goals = big loss.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

Excellent idea Spez!

I'll follow Dash and say Dustin Byfuglien. Although I think they will miss him, Ladd and Eager all about the same. I don't think it will affect them much during the regular season, I believe they will be missed the most in the playoffs. They have the potential to turn the tides of tight games. I'd definetly take them Dustin on a playoff run any day of the week. Regular season..eh...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Amnesia021 wrote:Excellent idea Spez!

Thanks! But it's definitely not me, I see basically every site on the net doing this to entertain people this off-season and I thought I'd love to see what some of the people here had to say on certain things. Ahhhhh!

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

I'm going to go with what may be perceived as the lesser of the two/three players who are the front runners for this question. I believe the biggest loss will be Andrew Ladd.

I can see how many will assert that Byfuglien has certain characteristics that may put him ahead of Ladd, especially in the Power Forward department. And how Kris Versteeg has more honed skills in the sniper department. But Ladd has his own abilities which I believe have been underrated for many years, at times, even by me.

All these players are still young, Versteeg being the youngest, followed by Ladd. But Ladd is by far the most experienced, having played the most regular season games, and the most playoff games, while amassing two Stanley Cups during that time. Now some may argue that he may not have been the so-called "bee's knees" during those runs, but every member plays a roll, and his is often the grinding pest. He is very skilled at taking opponents off their game. Ladd has many of what some call "intangibles", being a good hitter, team player... not to say that Big Buff and Versteeg aren't.

Ladd amassed more points than Buff, and only 6 fewer points than Versteeg, despite playing less total minutes than both. Ladd saw little PP time (36 sec/g) and little PK time despite having the skills to play both ends of the ice.

And although he doesn't have the best points/game of the three (Versteeg) one other point I would like to bring up is how replaceable each player is. With the emergence of Troy Brouwer as a younger and cheaper Power Forward than Byfuglien, and right wingers Hossa and Kane above RW Versteeg on the depth chart, Versteeg is not as valuable on Chicago as he would be on another team.

On top of all things, Ladd is the only natural Left Winger, leaving a team with a plethora of RW. That is more significant than some realize.

In the end, I believe that Andrew Ladd, a 24 year old 40 point scorer, 2.35 million dollar left winged 3rd liner is the biggest loss for the Hawks in this off-season.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nice post Bass!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Nice post Bass!

That's not really a controversial opinion. Wait ... wrong thread.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Haha, smartarse Prager.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:Haha, smartarse Prager.

No controversy there, either.

P.S. Sorry, gotta go for lunch ... and the oldest carousel in North America.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Haha, smartarse Prager.

No controversy there, either.

P.S. Sorry, gotta go for lunch ... and the oldest carousel in North America.

Oooh lunch!! Good call Question to mull over - a new feature for August - QUESTION 1 747605 ...

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Ladd, for the very reason that Bass posted.

I also thing that Stalberg and Brouwer/Beach will do an adequate job filling the scoring and physicality that Versteeg and Byfuglien left.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, Byfuglien, not because he's a great player, but because CHI doesn't really have anyone else like him.

Ladd is a close second.

I'm not much of a Versteeg fan. I don't think they'll even notice he's gone, frankly. Bolland and Brower are both better players, to say nothing of Kane, Toews, Hossa, and Sharp.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Byfuglien...had a monster playoff season, granted he was mostly at the right place at the right time, but his physicality and intimidation I think really got to a few of the teams. Like most people are saying, there's nobody else like him on the team. They still got plenty of skill so they won't miss versteeg much, but they lost a big chunk of intangibles when Byfuglien got traded. Andrew Ladd is a big one too. young forward, left winger, solid secondary scorer. But no matter how I look at it, Byfuglien always jumps out again and again

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum