GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Player in the History of the NHL

+6
beedub
PKC
Laker
smash88
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is the greatest player in NHL history?

Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_lcap214%Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_rcap2 14% [ 3 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_lcap223%Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_rcap2 23% [ 5 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_lcap255%Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_rcap2 55% [ 12 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_lcap20%Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_lcap20%Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_lcap25%Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_rcap2 5% [ 1 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_lcap25%Best Player in the History of the NHL Vote_rcap2 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Best Player in the History of the NHL Empty Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:32 am

No goalies

I'm at work for most of the day, so here's something to keep you guys busy while i'm gone :D

PS- Bobby Orr

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What's funny is that if any of those "old timers" like Gordie Howe etc... played their style of game today, they'd be ejected from every single game like there's no tomorrow. Think about all the stick work that those guys did, even Maurice Richard was nasty if you got near him. The game has changed so much since then...

shabbs wrote:What's funny is that if any of those "old timers" like Gordie Howe etc... played their style of game today, they'd be ejected from every single game like there's no tomorrow. Think about all the stick work that those guys did, even Maurice Richard was nasty if you got near him. The game has changed so much since then...
:lol!: so whos your choice?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Tukker wrote:
shabbs wrote:What's funny is that if any of those "old timers" like Gordie Howe etc... played their style of game today, they'd be ejected from every single game like there's no tomorrow. Think about all the stick work that those guys did, even Maurice Richard was nasty if you got near him. The game has changed so much since then...
:lol!: so whos your choice?
I need to think about it, and then supply my reason...

Wink

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is a great debate. I personally chose Lemieux. Had he been able to stay healthy he could have shattered some of Gretzky's records. He is my all time fav. I can also see valid arguments for the others though. This one is a toughy.

- Unknown Author

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah I put Gretzky... Just open up an NHL record book and you know why... Debates can be made and can be valid, but I don't think anyone had as much impact on the game...

Laker

Laker
Prospect
Prospect

Cap'n Clutch wrote:This is a great debate. I personally chose Lemieux. Had he been able to stay healthy he could have shattered some of Gretzky's records. He is my all time fav. I can also see valid arguments for the others though. This one is a toughy.

You could make the same argument for Orr ... what if he didn't get injured.

I would go with Gretzky but you have to remember the high scoring games when he played ... or had the big seasons.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Lemieux was just an anomaly. If he had managed to stay healthy, there are several records he would own right now. He just couldn't...such a shame.

10Best Player in the History of the NHL Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:37 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

A player's durability should factor in...

11Best Player in the History of the NHL Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:13 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Though I do tend to agree with that comment Shabbs, had Lemieux not come out of retirement he would have maintained the best points per game average of all time.

- Unknown Author

12Best Player in the History of the NHL Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:16 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Though I do tend to agree with that comment Shabbs, had Lemieux not come out of retirement he would have maintained the best points per game average of all time.

Yeah but playing way less... Which to me makes it even more impressive for Gretzky, that he was able to do it consistently for so long... It's the same as shooting percentages...

Don't get me wrong though, because I think if Lemieux had stayed healthy like Gretzky he would have broken a lot of Gretzky's records... But the fact that he didn't Makes the decision all that easier for me...

13Best Player in the History of the NHL Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:19 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah but it's not like Lemieux only played a handful of games so, to me it's still a valid argument.

- Unknown Author

14Best Player in the History of the NHL Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:26 am

It's gotta be Gretz. Coulda woulda shoulda doesn't count for me. Even if Mario stayed healthy, there is no way to know if he could have maintained his scoring pace over a career as long as Gretzky's. Mario didn't revolutionize the game the way Orr or Gretzky did either. Mario has I'd put Orr 2nd, and Mario 3rd.

15Best Player in the History of the NHL Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:30 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah... I went with Gretz in the end too. The impact he had on the ice as well as off the ice did it for me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum