GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Player in the History of the NHL

+6
beedub
PKC
Laker
smash88
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is the greatest player in NHL history?

Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_lcap214%Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 14% [ 3 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_lcap223%Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 23% [ 5 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_lcap255%Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 55% [ 12 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 1 ]
Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:19 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah but it's not like Lemieux only played a handful of games so, to me it's still a valid argument.

17Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:26 am

It's gotta be Gretz. Coulda woulda shoulda doesn't count for me. Even if Mario stayed healthy, there is no way to know if he could have maintained his scoring pace over a career as long as Gretzky's. Mario didn't revolutionize the game the way Orr or Gretzky did either. Mario has I'd put Orr 2nd, and Mario 3rd.

18Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:30 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah... I went with Gretz in the end too. The impact he had on the ice as well as off the ice did it for me.

19Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:55 am

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Lemieux. I great player is not just defined by stats. Returning from cancer, playing with a bad back his whole career, and still posting VERY respectable stats.

20Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:25 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:This is a great debate. I personally chose Lemieux. Had he been able to stay healthy he could have shattered some of Gretzky's records. He is my all time fav. I can also see valid arguments for the others though. This one is a toughy.

Yeah, well, if it wasn't for his style of play that led to all those concussions then Lindros might haev ...

Come on! Longevity is part of greatness. Mario overcame Hodgkins, gotta give him kudos for that, but like it or not, he did not have a very long career, so he is not close to Gretzky's records. That's enough reason to rule him out of this discussion, unless the poll asked "Who could have been the Best Player in the History of the NHL", in which case the answer might be Kharlamov or Yakushev (if he ever played in the NHL).

I think the debate is between Orr and Gretzky, with the Rocket and Gordie fighting it out for distant third.

21Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Laker wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:This is a great debate. I personally chose Lemieux. Had he been able to stay healthy he could have shattered some of Gretzky's records. He is my all time fav. I can also see valid arguments for the others though. This one is a toughy.

You could make the same argument for Orr ... what if he didn't get injured.

I would go with Gretzky but you have to remember the high scoring games when he played ... or had the big seasons.

Even with injuries, Orr he set plenty of records. Has a defenseman ever led the league in scoring before or since? Or led his team in scoring as many times as he did? Even though his career was cut short by injuries, he established records or otherwise changed the game in a profound way. As great as Mario was, what is his lasting impact apart from saving the Pittsburgh franchise and potting that goal in the '87 Canada Cup?

For the record, I still voted for Gretzky. I don't think Mario would have touched his records.

22Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Yeah but it's not like Lemieux only played a handful of games so, to me it's still a valid argument.

It's not the difference between playing 10 games in a season and 70. It's the difference between retiring before you reach the age of 35 and contuinuing playing until you are considered an old guy by NHL standards.

Consider that, on a per-season basis, Gretzky holds the top two spots in best PPG. In Lemieux's best season he managed to snag the third spot.

So, yes, the career PPG numbers, while impressive if he had stayed retired, would have excluded the inevitable declining years, and it would make as much sense to say "Well if he had continued to play while growing older and slower, the numbers would go down" as it would to say "Well, if he had stayed retired he would have had the best career PPG numbers".

23Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock34 wrote:It's gotta be Gretz. Coulda woulda shoulda doesn't count for me. Even if Mario stayed healthy, there is no way to know if he could have maintained his scoring pace over a career as long as Gretzky's. Mario didn't revolutionize the game the way Orr or Gretzky did either. Mario has I'd put Orr 2nd, and Mario 3rd.

I'm not sure Super Mario even warrants 3rd. I'd put Gordie and The Rocket there. Actually I'm not even sure I'd put Mario in the top five.

24Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:08 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

The great one. No questions.

25Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:45 pm

TheAvatar wrote:The great one. No questions.

disapointed Alfie didn't even make the list.

26Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:50 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Monkhouse wrote:

I like Alfie and all, but there's no way he can even be mentioned in the same breath as some of those guys... As if, don't kid yourself....

27Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:51 pm

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

No question, Gretzky.

28Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:54 pm

smash88 wrote:
Monkhouse wrote:

I like Alfie and all, but there's no way he can even be mentioned in the same breath as some of those guys... As if, don't kid yourself....

What is this based on? Purely points? Alfie also plays in a different era..

29Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:57 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Monkhouse wrote:
smash88 wrote:
Monkhouse wrote:

That dosen't matter... Even in today's era there are guys I would rank ahead of Alfie... He's nowhere near the best player in the NHL today, let alone all-time...

30Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:00 pm

smash88 wrote:
Monkhouse wrote:
smash88 wrote:
Monkhouse wrote:

That dosen't matter... Even in today's era there are guys I would rank ahead of Alfie... He's nowhere near the best player in the NHL today, let alone all-time...

But common Jean Believeau.. is that a joke?

31Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:13 pm

Gentlemen, Mr Mike Bossy:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8445611

Look at his minor league stats guys: 1.3 goals a game average approx. Increadible

NHL: 10 seasons: 9 with 50+ goals, 5 with 60+ goals.

4 year Stanley cups dynasty member,

A playoff record you wouldn't believe .... 3 consecutive years with 17 goals

LOL

He's my vote ... Lou

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAFV031~Mike-Bossy-with-Stanley-Cup-Posters.jpg

Last edited by HowieMorenz-is-Alive on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

32Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:18 pm

HowieMorenz-is-Alive wrote:Gentlemen, Mr Mike Bossy:

Look at his minor league stats guys: 1.3 goals a game average approx. Increadible

LOL

He's my vote ... Lou

yeah, he belongs on the list rather than 3 Canadiens... Razz

33Best Player in the History of the NHL - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Player in the History of the NHL Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:19 pm

HowieMorenz-is-Alive wrote:Gentlemen, Mr Mike Bossy:

LOL

He's my vote ... Lou

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAFV031~Mike-Bossy-with-Stanley-Cup-Posters.jpg
Bossy is probably the best shot ever. I'd put his only challenge as Pavel Bure

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum