GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question about BluRay player and old TV

+3
Hoags
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:By the way, it's BluRay, not BlueRay.  #SeaOfBlu

No wonder I couldn't get my discs to work properly in them.  That's the LAST time I trust some dude at a garage sale.
You should upgrade to HD DVD.

Sarcasm 

32Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 3 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:19 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Can probably get one cheap too!!!
Brilliant!

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Can probably get one cheap too!!!
Brilliant!

Not sure about that. Items of historical value may be protected by state laws, you may not even be able to export HD-DVD players or media out of certain jurisdictions.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

My Tosh HD DVD player must be worth a MINT!

Wink

35Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 3 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:34 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Soooo...

Back to the actual question at hand. Can I or can I not hook up a "Smart Blu-Ray" player to the TV in question?

- Unknown Author

36Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 3 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:36 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Soooo...

Back to the actual question at hand. Can I or can I not hook up a "Smart Blu-Ray" player to the TV in question?

Looking at the pic you provided of your TV inputs, as long as the Blu-Ray player has component-out (and I think they should all still have this), then yeah, I don't know why not.

Edit: I see that not all new Blu-Ray players have component output, so double check this.

37Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 3 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Just get an hdmi to dvi adapter

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:Just get an hdmi to dvi adapter

I apparently need to know if my tv supports HDCP or something which the techies here have yet to tell me.  I posted my tv model # and .... nothin'  Dammit!

Also, if I can use that, where do I get it?

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

DVI will not carry audio so you will need separate cables for that. I day your best (easiest) bet is to go with component. The PQ will not be any worse than HDMI, you don't have to worry about HDCP, and you can easily use the component cables (yellow/red/white) if you don't have component (connect re to re, yellow to green, white to blue -- anything, really, just so long as you connect red to red, blue to blue and green to green).

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Yellow/Red/White ones are composite.

Wink

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:DVI will not carry audio so you will need separate cables for that.  I day your best (easiest) bet is to go with component.  The PQ will not be any worse than HDMI, you don't have to worry about HDCP, and you can easily use the component cables (yellow/red/white) if you don't have component (connect re to re, yellow to green, white to blue -- anything, really, just so long as you connect red to red, blue to blue and green to green).  

So component to HDMI converter? I can't seem to find a Smart Blu-ray that has component as a connecter option.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:The Yellow/Red/White ones are composite.

Wink

You know what I meant smarta$$.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Not sure if you can really convert component to HDMI. You are better off looking on usedottawa or Kijiji for a slightly older Blu-Ray player that does have component. And you'll save money, so Prags approves!

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:DVI will not carry audio so you will need separate cables for that.  I day your best (easiest) bet is to go with component.  The PQ will not be any worse than HDMI, you don't have to worry about HDCP, and you can easily use the component cables (yellow/red/white) if you don't have component (connect re to re, yellow to green, white to blue -- anything, really, just so long as you connect red to red, blue to blue and green to green).  

So component to HDMI converter?  I can't seem to find a Smart Blu-ray that has component as a connecter option.

No, forget the DVI port. Does your bluray player have red-green-blue RCA connectors (female)? Then use your composite cables (yelow/red/white) to connect to your TV's red/gree/blue RCA connectors.

If your player doesn't have that then you have no choice but use a DVI to HDMI adaptor and hope your TV supports HDCP (it's tough to find detailed specs on a 10 year old set).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

So component to HDMI converter?  I can't seem to find a Smart Blu-ray that has component as a connecter option.

No, forget the DVI port. Does your bluray player have red-green-blue RCA connectors (female)? Then use your composite cables (yelow/red/white) to connect to your TV's red/gree/blue RCA connectors.

If your player doesn't have that then you have no choice but use a DVI to HDMI adaptor and hope your TV supports HDCP (it's tough to find detailed specs on a 10 year old set).

He doesn't have the bluray player yet, W.P. Rager.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How about this???

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

- Unknown Author

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about this???

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

That may or may not solve your issue (HDCP could still be an issue).

I am telling you that your best solution to this problem is to get a slightly older Blu-Ray player that has component.

Here: http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Sony-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player-with-remote-manual-HDMI-MINT-W0QQAdIdZ552090349

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about this???

WTH is that? $77? And all it saves you is an audio connector to the TV (you still need audio cables to the adaptor, the only thing this thing does is combine DVI and audio onto HDMI out). That's a lot of money for the ability to hide a pair of audio cables (or a single TOS-link cable).

I haven't seen a player in a while that had component outputs. Tim's right, you'd need to look at an older player. Of course finding one of those that also has smart tv functions will be difficult.

You can also get a DVI to Component adaptor or adaptor/cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=dvi+to+component

You won't find these at a FS or BB, I don't think, but maybe a local PC store (if you don't want to wait for the shipping).

BTW, double checked the inputs on your set and it won't take optical audio -- will have to go with simple RCA stereo.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum