GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+19
TheAvatar
M_Christopher
DefenceWinsChampionships
rooneypoo
DirtyDave
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
spader
Ev
SensHulk
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
sandysensfan
tim1_2
NEELY
PTFlea
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 49 ... 66  Next

Go down  Message [Page 32 of 66]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, but none of these D are any good.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Russel? Solid D man. Blum? Decent and could be a lot better, people talk about Gryba (me included) as being a legit NHL d man but Blum is a year or two younger and has a lot more upside than him, so why wouldn't you take a chance? Gilbert? Can run a 1st unit PP. Some other I am missing for sure but the point still stands.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Russel? Solid D man.  Blum?  Decent and could be a lot better, people talk about Gryba (me included) as being a legit NHL d man but Blum is a year or two younger and has a lot more upside than him, so why wouldn't you take a chance?  Gilbert?  Can run a 1st unit PP.  Some other I am missing for sure but the point still stands.

What world are you living in?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

The world where Gilbert has done a solid job his whole career running a power play. He's not in the elite but he can do the job if it came down to it. Last year after Karlsson went down it would have been a blessing to have that type of player available from the right side. I've seen him enough to know what he can and can't do. Gilbert's problems stem from not being overly tough in his own zone and sometimes makes poor decision like a lot of other offensive D men.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Russel? Solid D man.  Blum?  Decent and could be a lot better, people talk about Gryba (me included) as being a legit NHL d man but Blum is a year or two younger and has a lot more upside than him, so why wouldn't you take a chance?  Gilbert?  Can run a 1st unit PP.  Some other I am missing for sure but the point still stands.

Blum is okay, but nothing special. Russel may or may not have a legitimate NHL future, hard to say, wouldn't put him above Wiercioch, that's for sure. And Gilbert is f-ing terrible. Get off the Gilbert train, he sucks.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

Blum is okay, but nothing special.  Russel may or may not have a legitimate NHL future, hard to say, wouldn't put him above Wiercioch, that's for sure.  And Gilbert is f-ing terrible.  Get off the Gilbert train, he sucks.
Gilbert seems like a typical Sens FA pickup. I would be willing to bet he is playing beside Cowen next year. Book it!

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oglethorpe wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Blum is okay, but nothing special.  Russel may or may not have a legitimate NHL future, hard to say, wouldn't put him above Wiercioch, that's for sure.  And Gilbert is f-ing terrible.  Get off the Gilbert train, he sucks.
Gilbert seems like a typical Sens FA pickup.  I would be willing to bet he is playing beside Cowen next year.  Book it!

Aw man...we're gonna go nuts watching him shart the puck up in the defensive zone over and over and over in that case. Kuba part 2 - but the bad Kuba.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

LOL. He's much better than Kuba. But he will make you shake your head in frustration.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oglethorpe wrote:LOL. He's much better than Kuba. But he will make you shake your head in frustration.  

Which Kuba is he better than? The one who just got bought out, yes, I agree, the one that played with Karlsson and prospered? I don't agree.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:LOL. He's much better than Kuba. But he will make you shake your head in frustration.  

Which Kuba is he better than?  The one who just got bought out, yes, I agree, the one that played with Karlsson and prospered?  I don't agree.
It's the same Kuba, just not playing with a Norris trophy winner. See Beukeboom, Jeff.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oglethorpe wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Which Kuba is he better than?  The one who just got bought out, yes, I agree, the one that played with Karlsson and prospered?  I don't agree.
It's the same Kuba, just not playing with a Norris trophy winner.  See Beukeboom, Jeff.

Hmmm, I'll believe that when I see it.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Hmmm, I'll believe that when I see it.

That happens all the time. Teams sign a FA only to later realize it's his partner who made him look good and put up good numbers.

Pronger made Matt Carle look like a stud as well. I think he could make almost anyone look good.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:

Gilbert was decent in Minny and was in tough his last year in Edmonton.  He's a borderline top 4 D man and yes, he runs a decent PP. Gilbert with Cowen would be a solid pairing for sure.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'd give him a chance if we got him of course, but I have some doubts.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Gilbert was decent in Minny and was in tough his last year in Edmonton.  He's a borderline top 4 D man and yes, he runs a decent PP.  Gilbert with Cowen would be a solid pairing for sure.

Gilbert (and some other guy) were stupid enough to play golf in November/December and came down with pneumonia which impacted their health, probably why they sucked last season.

http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=8274439&p=2

Former Oilers Tom Gilbert and Kyle Brodziak both had pneumonia early this season. During the lockout, they golfed 45 holes one day in late November in Minnesota when it was only four degrees. Gilbert ended up with viral and bacterial pneumonia and spent four days in hospital. Brodziak didn't get sick until January, but he lost 15 pounds and it zapped his strength. He said he is finally back to feeling better. When I asked them what they were thinking golfing on that cold of a day Gilbert said: "We weren't thinking. I have no idea why we kept playing. It definitely wasn't our best decision."

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Again, Gilbert would be a very solid option as a partner for Cowen so if they brought him in for 2 years at 5 mil... something along those lines it would be money well spent. But like I have said a million times now I think they go way of Blum who still has a ton of upside or Russel who can help out a power play that's missing a LH shot on the point besides Wiercioch who may not be ready for those big PP mins.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Again, Gilbert would be a very solid option as a partner for Cowen so if they brought him in for 2 years at 5 mil... something along those lines it would be money well spent.  But like I have said a million times now I think they go way of Blum who still has a ton of upside or Russel who can help out a power play that's missing a LH shot on the point besides Wiercioch who may not be ready for those big PP mins.

Uh...Wiercioch is ready, look at his stats from last year. Ready as ready can be.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Gilbert was decent in Minny and was in tough his last year in Edmonton.  He's a borderline top 4 D man and yes, he runs a decent PP.  Gilbert with Cowen would be a solid pairing for sure.

Gilbert (and some other guy) were stupid enough to play golf in November/December and came down with pneumonia which impacted their health, probably why they sucked last season.

http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=8274439&p=2

Former Oilers Tom Gilbert and Kyle Brodziak both had pneumonia early this season. During the lockout, they golfed 45 holes one day in late November in Minnesota when it was only four degrees. Gilbert ended up with viral and bacterial pneumonia and spent four days in hospital. Brodziak didn't get sick until January, but he lost 15 pounds and it zapped his strength. He said he is finally back to feeling better. When I asked them what they were thinking golfing on that cold of a day Gilbert said: "We weren't thinking. I have no idea why we kept playing. It definitely wasn't our best decision."

That's hilarious. Good stuff!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 32 of 66]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 49 ... 66  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum