GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

+19
TheAvatar
M_Christopher
DefenceWinsChampionships
rooneypoo
DirtyDave
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
spader
Ev
SensHulk
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
sandysensfan
tim1_2
NEELY
PTFlea
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 49 ... 66  Next

Go down  Message [Page 33 of 66]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Again, Gilbert would be a very solid option as a partner for Cowen so if they brought him in for 2 years at 5 mil... something along those lines it would be money well spent. But like I have said a million times now I think they go way of Blum who still has a ton of upside or Russel who can help out a power play that's missing a LH shot on the point besides Wiercioch who may not be ready for those big PP mins.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Again, Gilbert would be a very solid option as a partner for Cowen so if they brought him in for 2 years at 5 mil... something along those lines it would be money well spent.  But like I have said a million times now I think they go way of Blum who still has a ton of upside or Russel who can help out a power play that's missing a LH shot on the point besides Wiercioch who may not be ready for those big PP mins.

Uh...Wiercioch is ready, look at his stats from last year. Ready as ready can be.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Gilbert was decent in Minny and was in tough his last year in Edmonton.  He's a borderline top 4 D man and yes, he runs a decent PP.  Gilbert with Cowen would be a solid pairing for sure.

Gilbert (and some other guy) were stupid enough to play golf in November/December and came down with pneumonia which impacted their health, probably why they sucked last season.

http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=8274439&p=2

Former Oilers Tom Gilbert and Kyle Brodziak both had pneumonia early this season. During the lockout, they golfed 45 holes one day in late November in Minnesota when it was only four degrees. Gilbert ended up with viral and bacterial pneumonia and spent four days in hospital. Brodziak didn't get sick until January, but he lost 15 pounds and it zapped his strength. He said he is finally back to feeling better. When I asked them what they were thinking golfing on that cold of a day Gilbert said: "We weren't thinking. I have no idea why we kept playing. It definitely wasn't our best decision."

That's hilarious. Good stuff!!

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:Again, Gilbert would be a very solid option as a partner for Cowen so if they brought him in for 2 years at 5 mil... something along those lines it would be money well spent.  But like I have said a million times now I think they go way of Blum who still has a ton of upside or Russel who can help out a power play that's missing a LH shot on the point besides Wiercioch who may not be ready for those big PP mins.

Uh...Wiercioch is ready, look at his stats from last year.  Ready as ready can be.

Stats? What does that have to do with poor decisions in his own zone with the puck on the PP, a lack of understanding of what his responsibility is on the PP, and making more poor decisions at the blueline and in the neutral zone? Yah, he can do the job if all that matter was offense but he hasn't proven responsible enough to handle those kind of mins on the PP. Not yet.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Uh...Wiercioch is ready, look at his stats from last year.  Ready as ready can be.

Stats?  What does that have to do with poor decisions in his own zone with the puck on the PP, a lack of understanding of what his responsibility is on the PP, and making more poor decisions at the blueline and in the neutral zone?  Yah, he can do the job if all that matter was offense but he hasn't proven responsible enough to handle those kind of mins on the PP.  Not yet.

Meh, I didn't have too many complaints with him on the PP. My complaints was him 5 on 5 where he was beaten off the puck like a little girl 90% of the time.

I'd say that with a little more tutelage and the fact that he'd be playing with Erik Karlsson would be enough to help him with both decision making and effectiveness on the PP.

Now...about him 5 on 5....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Play him up-front 5 on 5.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Stats?  What does that have to do with poor decisions in his own zone with the puck on the PP, a lack of understanding of what his responsibility is on the PP, and making more poor decisions at the blueline and in the neutral zone?  Yah, he can do the job if all that matter was offense but he hasn't proven responsible enough to handle those kind of mins on the PP.  Not yet.

Meh, I didn't have too many complaints with him on the PP.  My complaints was him 5 on 5 where he was beaten off the puck like a little girl 90% of the time.  

I'd say that with a little more tutelage and the fact that he'd be playing with Erik Karlsson would be enough to help him with both decision making and effectiveness on the PP.

Again, you don't hand him those mins, they need to be earned like everyone else has to earn their mins. Especially PP though, that's where guys make their money by putting up points and it's probably the most important facet of the game aside from team defense and goaltending. Depth on defense is extremely important and they need someone else besides Wiercioch.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Meh, I didn't have too many complaints with him on the PP.  My complaints was him 5 on 5 where he was beaten off the puck like a little girl 90% of the time.  

Again, you don't hand him those mins, they need to be earned like everyone else has to earn their mins.  Especially PP though, that's where guys make their money by putting up points and it's probably the most important facet of the game aside from team defense and goaltending.   Depth on defense is extremely important and they need someone else besides Wiercioch.  

Oh, I'm not saying we hand him a thing, not a thing, he'd have to earn it obviously, but he took great steps in being a PP producer last year and I could see him doing it again.

Even then, we don't have depth on D on the PP anyway, unless Methot can do it - or Cowen - or Phillips (no thanks). Russell might be worth a look for that alone, but he's another leftie. It's actually getting annoying how many lefties are out there and how few righties there are.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Per Lebrun, and also TGOR this morning, Giroux is about to extend his contract with Philly.

Lebrun says 8 yrs, more than $8M per.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Per Lebrun, and also TGOR this morning, Giroux is about to extend his contract with Philly.

Murray needs to call Holmgren and try and get Simmonds or Voracek from him. Flyers going to need even more cap space next year.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Per Lebrun, and also TGOR this morning, Giroux is about to extend his contract with Philly.

Murray needs to call Holmgren and try and get Simmonds or Voracek from him.  Flyers going to need even more cap space next year.

Voracek is not encumbered by any kind of NM/NTC. See below.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Huge trade in the works. Boston and Dallas close on a deal sending Tyler Seguin to Stars for Loui Eriksson. Other parts involved as well.

Diddle

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Holy fark just say the Seguin/Eriksson news.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Holy fark just say the Seguin/Eriksson news.

Closest thing to a younger Alfredsson in the NHL right now.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Holy fark just say the Seguin/Eriksson news.

Maybe Boston is doing this now that they know Alfie isn't signing there?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This will be one of those "hockey" trades that makes sense for both sides. Already like it for Boston.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

WTF did Seguin do(or not do) that pissed off the Bruins so much?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:

Murray needs to call Holmgren and try and get Simmonds or Voracek from him.  Flyers going to need even more cap space next year.

This.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 33 of 66]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 49 ... 66  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum