GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens - 7:00pm ET - Wed, Mar 13, 2013

+10
Hoags
Ev
PTFlea
SensHulk
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
wprager
NEELY
shabbs
tim1_2
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, nothing but positives from Zibanejad. Starting to do a lot of things well.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If he keeps growing we'll all be relieved he wasn't traded

Also, I think we saw two of the finalists for the Adams. These two guys are killing it. Therrien (sp) is a surprise for me personally, I didn't think he'd be good at all, but for sure I was wrong.

And Mac...just awesome.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Yeah no way zibby is going back to bingo except for the playoffs. Stone might need to head back son though. Depends when kassian gets put in I guess

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:Yeah no way zibby is going back to bingo except for the playoffs. Stone might need to head back son though. Depends when kassian gets put in I guess

It's very impressive, now comes the part where he has to play well consistently - through goal scoring droughts etc. SIlfverberg too, I found he was sort of becoming a wallflower for a while there, but he's looked sharp again recently.

A lot of ebbs and flows for the rookies, but imagine the amount of experience guys like Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Wiercioch, Gryba, Benoit, Lehner, DD before he was broken. Up and down that lineup, so much great experience for us down the road.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:If he keeps growing we'll all be relieved he wasn't traded

Also, I think we saw two of the finalists for the Adams. These two guys are killing it. Therrien (sp) is a surprise for me personally, I didn't think he'd be good at all, but for sure I was wrong.

And Mac...just awesome.

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Montreal Canadiens - 7:00pm ET - Wed, Mar 13, 2013 - Page 10 Bruce-Boudreau-2

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Some thoughts:

- Lehner was solid, but we just needed that one extra save in regulation or the shootout. It seems like the shootout is in his head a little bit...he was just a little off. Still, the kid is young, and you can't knock his game.

- For a fairly sloppy game, it's pretty great to get a point out of that one. Nice to see us come back from a 2 goal deficit instead of giving up a 2 goal lead.

- The Alfie was really good. His goal at the end of the 2nd was great. No one knew it was in except him. He potted it, then celebrated calmly, and went to the bench. He knew.

- Silfverberg. Just seems to get better each game. You know who he reminds me of? The Alfie. Silf plays shorthanded, powerplay, and the shootout. Nothing flashy, but he always seems to make the smart play. His shot is great, but he's also a very good playmaker. It was awesome to see some chemistry with Zibanejad. It's a bonus that he's money in the shootout.

- Z-Bad is starting to look like a guy that was drafted 6th overall. Another real good game, and his goal was ridiculous.

- Stone should likely be the odd man out when Kassian's ready to go. He doesn't really look ready for prime time.

- I thought the officiating was quite good. Pretty much every penalty was warranted, but they also didn't start getting ridiculous. I still HATE the linesmen this year. I don't know if they received instruction to automatically kick somoone out of EVERY faceoff, or what, but to quote Grapes: "DROP THE PUCK!"

- Our young D struggled a little, but hey, we were playing the Habs, and they have some speedy players.

- I still don't think Montreal could beat Boston or Pittsburgh in a 7 game series. Price will need to be better.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Not sure if Stone looks like he isn't ready or if he's just starting to figure the game out. That penalty was an experience play yesterday, gotta know when to let him go. The play at the point where he tried to softly chip the puck around the D man is another play where he just needs to learn. You might be right though, Stone could very well be the guy going down when Kassian is ready to go. Could be DD as well though but he may still be injured so you can't move him down if he's on IR.

Zibanejad is looking good, tied with other rookies like Yakupov and Taresenko in goals... anyone who ever had the thought of Couturier over Zibanejad can now rest easy. Just needs to keep shooting because his shot is quick and heavy and he can do and does serious damaged with it.

Lehner, yah, would be nice to stop letting the softy in but that's par for the course with a young goalie and they will eventually stop. Would be nice to get a win with him in there but he hasn't lost in regulation, he keeps grinding out those points.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Not sure if Stone looks like he isn't ready or if he's just starting to figure the game out. That penalty was an experience play yesterday, gotta know when to let him go. The play at the point where he tried to softly chip the puck around the D man is another play where he just needs to learn. You might be right though, Stone could very well be the guy going down when Kassian is ready to go. Could be DD as well though but he may still be injured so you can't move him down if he's on IR.

Zibanejad is looking good, tied with other rookies like Yakupov and Taresenko in goals... anyone who ever had the thought of Couturier over Zibanejad can now rest easy. Just needs to keep shooting because his shot is quick and heavy and he can do and does serious damaged with it.

Lehner, yah, would be nice to stop letting the softy in but that's par for the course with a young goalie and they will eventually stop. Would be nice to get a win with him in there but he hasn't lost in regulation, he keeps grinding out those points.

Stone wasn't playing on the top line in Bingo, and I think it would benefit him to go down and play 22 minutes a game in every situation.

Lehner said himself after the game that he feels fine all game, and then off in the shootout! D'oh! We need to start finishing games in regulation. I assume Bishop gets in to one of the games coming up here....

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
NEELY wrote:Not sure if Stone looks like he isn't ready or if he's just starting to figure the game out. That penalty was an experience play yesterday, gotta know when to let him go. The play at the point where he tried to softly chip the puck around the D man is another play where he just needs to learn. You might be right though, Stone could very well be the guy going down when Kassian is ready to go. Could be DD as well though but he may still be injured so you can't move him down if he's on IR.

Stone wasn't playing on the top line in Bingo, and I think it would benefit him to go down and play 22 minutes a game in every situation.

Lehner said himself after the game that he feels fine all game, and then off in the shootout! D'oh! We need to start finishing games in regulation. I assume Bishop gets in to one of the games coming up here....

You are probably right there, he hasn't had a full season in Bingo by any means and he should be able to go down there and dominate on a nightly basis which is probably best for him in the long run. You can tell he has a ton of tools but he needs to be pushed in the right direction and I am not sure if 10 mins a night in Ottawa will do it for him. Also, Hoffman should be getting back soon so he may get his shot as well.

Lehner will figure it out on the shoot outs... it's an experience thing there too and right now a confidence things as well. Bishop will for sure get one of the back to backs and I would bet it's Buffalo, I think you want Lehner in there for the game against the Jets, that game is HUGE.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well, when you see that a guy like Price is under .500 in shootouts, you get a good idea that it's a completely different skill than regular hockey. So much of the game for a goalie is figuring out WHERE a shot will come from, not letting out rebounds, etc...the shootout is just one particular skill. I assume with some specific coaching on that one aspect, Lehner will improve.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

LeKing wrote:Silfverberg is 4/5 in shootouts
That shot was simply amazing. I think Price even gave him recognition right after. Unbelievable release.

I hate losing to the Habs, but all things considered with our injury situation and how the Habs have been playing this season, that was a huge point and the boys showed huge character coming back from down 3-1.

Next up... Sabres, Jets, Islanders... time to break out of this losing streak.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:I hate losing to the Habs, but all things considered with our injury situation and how the Habs have been playing this season, that was a huge point and the boys showed huge character coming back from down 3-1.

Yep, bang on. We took 2 of 4 points against two of the best teams in the league. NEXT!

NEELY

Mod
Mod

The Jets and Islanders are must wins IMO, they don't need to be regulation wins but they need to make sure that they don't gain any ground. Ottawa gets out of March with 6 points up on a playoff spot and they may very well be locked in.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I dunno if I'd call them both must wins, but 3 of 4 points would be the minimum acceptable to me. The game against the Jets is pretty close to a must-win, since they are in 9th.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

If the Sens can snag another win on the road in Buffalo they are in good shape... these next 3 games are very winnable and these are the teams they need to keep beating. If they can go on a 3 game streak here they can lock themselves in before the month is up.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This weekend should be back to winning, but you never know I guess. They've been great at sticking to the system and that should provide positive results against those two teams.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So we've got the Sabres Saturday, Jets Sunday, and Isles Tuesday. I'm guessing we go Lehner/Bishop/Lehner in those games, but who knows?

All 3 teams are very beatable, but the Jets should be desperate, and we get them on the back end of a double-header. Of course, the Jets play Toronto on Saturday, so they'll be on the back end too.

Note that the Buffalo game on Saturday is a 3pm start, and the Jets game on Sunday is a 5pm start.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Its funny that here is a kid who stopped 42 of 45 shots (.933 SV%) and yet we are talking about a "softie". By the way, just reviewed the goals, and on the first one Wiercioch is way too soft on Eller, but where was the forward covering him? Daugavins was tied up with the guy behind the net and Eller just walked in untouched. Not sure if you can blame that one on Lehner. Pacioretty/Gallagher's goal was on the powerplay and it was basically a one-on-one. Could he have squeezed his legs together a little quicker? Perhaps, but tough to call that one soft. And the last one he had two guys standing right in front and he never saw the puck.

So which one was the softie? I guess Pacioretty/Gallagher?

Can't say much about the shootout. He got schooled. Or so I hope. That poke check was pretty weak, and clearly the wrong move. He is a big goalie and covers a lot of the net. If he doesn't fall for the dekes/shakes/shimmies the shooter will end up with nothing to shoot at. Just look big and stay with the shooter, not the puck -- that's basically what Price did on Alfie and Turris' attempts (ugh, no creativity with either one, there).

Silfverberg's was a thing of beauty. He's got Price's number. They should have had him sitting at center ice waiting for a bomb from Wiercioch the whole game.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum