GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+11
Flo The Action
LeCaptain
NEELY
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Hoags
sandysensfan
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 14]

91NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:03 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Pensions? I'm making less than a quarter what the lowest-paid of them get paid, yet I have to plan for my own retirement.

Why do you keep comparing your situation to that of professional athletes?

That's a great question. Why do guys making millions need a union?
Why do guys making millions need to haggle over pension contributions. Why do guys making millions complain about sharing a room in a 5 star hotel? Why do guys making millions ... it goes on and on.

I'm not the one comparing them to us; they are the ones who appear to be doing that.

Haha biggest "touche" moment ever lol.

92NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:13 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Pensions? I'm making less than a quarter what the lowest-paid of them get paid, yet I have to plan for my own retirement.

That's a great question. Why do guys making millions need a union? Why do guys making millions need to haggle over pension contributions. Why do guys making millions complain about sharing a room in a 5 star hotel? Why do guys making millions ... it goes on and on.

I'm not the one comparing them to us; they are the ones who appear to be doing that.

Excellent post. This pretty much sums it up right here and that's why it irks alot of us regular joes to see the pouty behaviour of the PA and their 'union'. Groan...

For the record I'm not on any side. I'm quite annoyed at the antics of both parties. It's been nice to discover life outside of hockey though Nod

93NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:20 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

sandysensfan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:As per TSN.ca, here's a brief summary of where things currently stand:

- The NHLPA agreed to go to 10 years in CBA length, matching the NHL's desire on term for the deal (although the NHLPA has an opt out after Year 7 while the NHL would prefer one after Year 8).

- The NHL agreed to the NHLPA's request to up its compliance buyout to two per team, up from one per team before the 2013-14 season.

- The NHL upped its salary variance rule on contracts to 30 percent, up from the five percent and then 10 percent demands it had had in previous offers.

However, sources tell TSN that seven or eight unresolved issues remain, the three most meaningful ones being the second-year cap number, the length of player contacts and the players' pension.

John Shannon is stating that Pensions have been settled... Defined Benefit funded by the players.

So they need to agree on the salary cap for next season... how about meet in the middle. And contract length. How about 7 yrs.... Get it done you bozos.

IF it does happen... Murray had better get on the ball PDQ to get at least one good defensemen...

From all indications, it's getting very close now...maybe it becomes official by Monday but it's all but certain there will be hockey this season. Joy? Meh...I cancelled my season tickets a long time ago.

94NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

sandysensfan wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

That's a great question. Why do guys making millions need a union? Why do guys making millions need to haggle over pension contributions. Why do guys making millions complain about sharing a room in a 5 star hotel? Why do guys making millions ... it goes on and on.

The players of today for the most part don't need a pension fund. But ones from the past probably due. I mean Guy Lafleur makes about $2K a month.. For his skill and what he did for the game... that's peanuts..

Lafleur made around $200K playing for the Rangers, then around $350K or just under in Quebec. Not sure how much he was making before that, but after he retired he made $75K/year in the Habs' marketing department. Then I find this:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1118139

In the 77/78 season he was making $180K tops on the Habs, along with Dryden. Espo was making $325K for the Rangers. Of course in those days there was no salary disclosure. Somewhere in between making $180K in 1978 and $200K in 1988 Lafleur would have had a raise or two before he "retired" in '84. He also had advertising revenues plus public appearance fees, and he published a book. While he never made Crosby/Ovechkin money, he made out alright. Remember, he may only be getting $2K a month, but when I retire I will not even be making that -- the industry I work in does not really do pensions.

So he's had more money than I did to salt away while working and now he's getting a $2K pension on top of that.

95NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

The players of today for the most part don't need a pension fund. But ones from the past probably due. I mean Guy Lafleur makes about $2K a month.. For his skill and what he did for the game... that's peanuts..

Lafleur made around $200K playing for the Rangers, then around $350K or just under in Quebec. Not sure how much he was making before that, but after he retired he made $75K/year in the Habs' marketing department. Then I find this:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1118139

In the 77/78 season he was making $180K tops on the Habs, along with Dryden. Espo was making $325K for the Rangers. Of course in those days there was no salary disclosure. Somewhere in between making $180K in 1978 and $200K in 1988 Lafleur would have had a raise or two before he "retired" in '84. He also had advertising revenues plus public appearance fees, and he published a book. While he never made Crosby/Ovechkin money, he made out alright. Remember, he may only be getting $2K a month, but when I retire I will not even be making that -- the industry I work in does not really do pensions.

So he's had more money than I did to salt away while working and now he's getting a $2K pension on top of that.

Too bad you never became a pro athlete.

- Unknown Author

96NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Nah, would've ruined it for me. I played for the love of the game. Well, if you could call it "playing".

97NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

So, cautiously optimistic? Again?

98NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:41 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Crap. Fehr just told the players that they changed from Helvetica to Times New Roman in their revised offer. Chris Phillips is beside himself. Usually mild mannered Jarome Iginla was seen punching the elevator door.

99NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:46 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ohnoes!

- Unknown Author

100NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

McKenzie with the bucket of cold water:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie wrote:

Someone who I feel has "sense" of where things are just told me: "There's a bit of frenzy going on now that may not be entirely justified."

101NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:03 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sounds like they are close...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2013/01/05/nhl_nhlpa_mediation_continues_saturday/

Deal in the next 24 hours?

102NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:12 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

LeBrun: Told the NHL has moved to $62.5 M on Year 2 cap, up from $60 M....

Last I saw, the NHLPA was at $64.3M. Getting there...

103NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:17 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:LeBrun: Told the NHL has moved to $62.5 M on Year 2 cap, up from $60 M....

Doubt the pa takes lower than 64.3. Even that's low.

104NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:51 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

$64.3M was the max from last season.

105NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:LeBrun: Told the NHL has moved to $62.5 M on Year 2 cap, up from $60 M....

Can't imagine they'll cancel the season over $1.8 shmil.

106NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:46 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:

They still have issues with variance on contracts, term of deals, walkaway arbitration, pension and buyouts.

Still work to do.

But they must be getting close.

107NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

As I said before...this gets done soon, season to commence mid-Jan. It's fairly obvious that's what both sides have in mind now, and it's a last second game of chicken now to eek out the last few cents.

108NHL CBA Talk - Page 7 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:16 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
spader wrote:

They still have issues with variance on contracts, term of deals, walkaway arbitration, pension and buyouts.

Still work to do.

But they must be getting close.

Oh, fair enough. I didn't mean to imply that this was the only contentious issue. I just meant that it shows how close they are now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum