GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+16
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
tim1_2
SensHulk
spader
dennycrane
Cap'n Clutch
Ev
PTFlea
LeCaptain
NEELY
wprager
sandysensfan
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 67]

271NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
Hoags wrote:Ceci has a nice roster spot for him when Gonchar is gone (and he might be if we lose the season).

Like I said in another thread, long term this lockout will benefit the Sens in a big time way. Short term we get screwed out of Alfi's last game.

That's not carved in swedish meatballs. Alfi, himself, has said that with guys like Jagr and Selanne playing into their 40s, maybe it's a new trend.

He can't get terribly excited right now about training and that's understandable, with no games in sight. However he's still going to the gym 4 times a week -- what the hell does he do when he's excited, then?

I think the biggest obstacle would be that he would still be on the hook for the last year of his contract, which only pays him $1M in real $$. Take off taxes and agent's commission and he's playing for peanuts; literally, not even league min. Do agents get paid annually based on the cap hit or the salary? Imagine if it's the cap hit -- between the agent's fee (15% of $4.875M) and taxes he may not have any take home pay at all). So the Sens need to come up with a creative way of paying Alfie what he's worth. Prior to this season, we thought the way to do that was to sign him to an extension, but now, if the season is lost, I can see him play one more season but 2 would be pushing it.

272NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:54 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Bill Daly statement via LeBrun:

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

"We withdrew our most recent proposal on Friday, and now we are spending time thinking about our next proposal and how best to get closer to a resolution. We hope the Union is doing the same thing. Given that the Union refused to bend over and accept our last proposal, it would appear that we still have a large hole to fill."

Fixed.

Fixed more.

273NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:50 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Bill Daly statement via LeBrun:

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

"We withdrew our most recent proposal on Friday, and now we are spending time thinking about our next proposal and how best to get closer to a resolution. We hope the Union is doing the same thing. Given that the Union refused to bend over and accept our last proposal, it would appear that we still have a large hole to fill."

Fixed.

Fixed more.

Further to these corrections, Steve Fehr states that the NHLs proposal was indeed up for discussion.

274NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Further to these corrections, Steve Fehr states that the NHLs proposal was indeed up for discussion.

Sure it was.

They came late to the meeting, brought 2 variations of their past proposals which got shot down and offered 1 50/50 deal only if they got to choose where their 50% comes from.

275NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:10 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Sure it was.

They came late to the meeting, brought 2 variations of their past proposals which got shot down and offered 1 50/50 deal only if they got to choose where their 50% comes from.

I think they're talking about the more recent attempts at meeting again.

276NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Reports now saying that the Winter Classic will be cancelled on Thursday:

http://www.thescore.com/home/articles/369539-report-nhl-to-cancel-winter-classic-thursday

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8568966/as-nhl-lockout-drags-winter-classic-canceled-source-says

277NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:15 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Good. Take the leverage away, send a msg.

278NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:26 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Once those are out of the way... we will enter a dark period I think...

279NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:27 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Once those are out of the way... we will enter a dark period I think...

Everybody associated with the league, players and management, should be embarrassed.

280NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Once those are out of the way... we will enter a dark period I think...

Yeah I think they'll stop talking for a while.

281NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:30 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Everybody associated with the league, players and management, should be embarrassed.

Yup. Probably equal fault all around but I just can't stand the players because they have NO IDEA what they are talking about. At least if you ask the owners they would probably say "yah, we're dicks, so what?"

282NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:33 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Yup. Probably equal fault all around but I just can't stand the players because they have NO IDEA what they are talking about. At least if you ask the owners they would probably say "yah, we're dicks, so what?"

They kind of look like they know when they put on wire-rimmed glasses and business suits.

283NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:Good. Take the leverage away, send a msg.

Kaiser Soze!

284NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:48 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

They kind of look like they know when they put on wire-rimmed glasses and business suits.

Until they talk they sure do look like they will say something worth listening to.

285NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:50 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I've passed the time reading about the NBA lockout from last year. On November 15th, the league cancelled games all the way to Dec 15th and the NBAPA was ready to dissolve so they can operate as a trade association and file antitrust lawsuits as individual players against the league. 11 days later, they reached an agreement and started the season on Xmas day (meaning 54 days of season missed).

Right now, if we are to believe that no games happen until at least Dec 1st, that's about 51 days of darkness for the season. On november 15 2011, most were convinced the nba season would be cancelled shortly after xmas and no talks were scheduled for a while but in the next set of meetings, the deal was struck.

Not to say that this is what will happen with the NHL, but I don't expect periods of darkness as much as everyone here is thinking. They're seemingly closer than what the NBA and NBAPA were a year ago...but seems like bigger egos at play here

286NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:58 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And oddly enough, the NBA revenue pie is not much bigger than the NHL's. It was reported at $3.8B during the NBA lockout I believe.

287NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:04 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:

EXACTLY -- they should be embarassed. To take a sport that was growing like crazy and take it to a screetching halt all over a share of money provided by their 'customers' who are the fans.. is just downright stupid.

288NHL CBA Talk - Page 19 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/10/29/nhl_lockout_gary_bettman_jeremy_jacobs_owners_silence/

Kypreos writes that most owners are in the dark

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 43 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum