GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+16
SensHulk
Ev
tim1_2
spader
Hobiesens
sens4win
sandysensfan
Hoags
DirtyDave
NEELY
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
SeawaySensFan
dennycrane
shabbs
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 39 of 67]

571NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:54 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

O, Canda
Our home and ntive lnd
True ptriot love
In all thy sons commnd

Maybe it was just a sticky 'a' key.

572NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:26 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:O, Canda
Our home and ntive lnd
True ptriot love
In all thy sons commnd

Well sid.

573NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:34 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:O, Canda
Our home and ntive lnd
True ptriot love
In all thy sons commnd

Well sid.

Thnk you.

574NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Does Shabbs have a second, shadow account? A half dozen posts with various takes on the missing 'a' and his is the only one that gets +d. Hmm, shenanigans? Or should I say Shabbsanigans?

575NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:42 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Does Shabbs have a second, shadow account? A half dozen posts with various takes on the missing 'a' and his is the only one that gets +d. Hmm, shenanigans? Or should I say Shabbsanigans?
Hmmm - that is odd actually.... I've got a fan...

576NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:43 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

heh heh.

577NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:45 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:Take a player earning 7M per season... reduce it by 7% (57% to 50%) - it works out to just under 500K. So the players are willing to sit out an entire year and lose that salary... but won't play and lose a small part of that.. Makes no sense to me.
Minor correction, a reduction from 57% to 50% is more than 7%. It works out to be 12.2% (7 / 57).

I think shortly, with the missed pay checks, they will have lost pretty much what the NHL was asking them to roll back... so it does seem sill. But, the NHLPA is looking long term, for long terms benefits, for everyone. So, pain now for a better deal later.

With huge salaries, the numbers do get silly though.

Nah, you all got it wrong. HRR is growing at 7.1%, don't you know. So the players' take would go from $1.881B (57% of $3.3B), to $1.7655B (50% of $3.531B). And that's a drop of only 6.1%. So for a player making $7M that's $427K. And since they are taxed at 50% (if you take into account the agent's take they pay 50% even in the US) they are really only $213.5K out of pocket.

578NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:46 am

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:Take a player earning 7M per season... reduce it by 7% (57% to 50%) - it works out to just under 500K. So the players are willing to sit out an entire year and lose that salary... but won't play and lose a small part of that.. Makes no sense to me.
Minor correction, a reduction from 57% to 50% is more than 7%. It works out to be 12.2% (7 / 57).

I think shortly, with the missed pay checks, they will have lost pretty much what the NHL was asking them to roll back... so it does seem sill. But, the NHLPA is looking long term, for long terms benefits, for everyone. So, pain now for a better deal later.

With huge salaries, the numbers do get silly though.

My math sucks... just took 57 - 50 and came out with 7%... 12% is half of what they rolled back last time. But I thought the last NHL offer -- was players putting money in escrow (can' remember the percentage) and not classified as a 'roll-back'. So if the league does well.. the players get that escrow back. Like this past season they paid in 8.5% in escrow and are getting 8% back.. or something close to that..

It is to everyone's advantage to get this settled quickly without losing more revenue than they have already... or will in future if some fans don't return...

I saw this in an Ottawa Sun article today:
-------------

The NHL players know they're in a battle they don't expect to win but they aren't ready to wave the white towel.

Washington Capitals defenceman Karl Alzner told CSNWashington.com the players will get the short end of the stick in negotiations for a collective bargaining agreement but they're trying to minimize their losses before the fight is over.

"We know we're going to have to take a hit," Alzner told the website Friday. "It's just how big of a hit we need to take.

"I think both sides know what their next proposal is, it's just who wants to give it first. The owners know what their bottom percentage is and I'm sure Don (Fehr, union head) knows what's going to be a good one for us economically.

"But who's going to be the first one to bite the bullet? No one wants to lose the negotiation. We understand we're definitely not going to win it."

579NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:46 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Does Shabbs have a second, shadow account? A half dozen posts with various takes on the missing 'a' and his is the only one that gets +d. Hmm, shenanigans? Or should I say Shabbsanigans?

Or a stalker.

And two can play that game you just played. But I won't. I'm above that.

(plus I can do much better than that if you know what I mean)

580NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:49 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Eric Macramella had a good retort to someone who tweeted how the fans came back after the last lockout, and the NHL went on to record revenues and attendance. He said something to the effect, imagine what it could have been like if there *hadn't* been a lockout.

581NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:34 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Or a stalker.

And two can play that game you just played. But I won't. I'm above that.

(plus I can do much better than that if you know what I mean)
Careful there, you're letting your power go to your head...

Wink

582NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:37 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

sandysensfan wrote:I saw this in an Ottawa Sun article today:
-------------

The NHL players know they're in a battle they don't expect to win but they aren't ready to wave the white towel.

Washington Capitals defenceman Karl Alzner told CSNWashington.com the players will get the short end of the stick in negotiations for a collective bargaining agreement but they're trying to minimize their losses before the fight is over.

"We know we're going to have to take a hit," Alzner told the website Friday. "It's just how big of a hit we need to take.

"I think both sides know what their next proposal is, it's just who wants to give it first. The owners know what their bottom percentage is and I'm sure Don (Fehr, union head) knows what's going to be a good one for us economically.

"But who's going to be the first one to bite the bullet? No one wants to lose the negotiation. We understand we're definitely not going to win it."
Yeah, they know the deal. And they knew it last lockout too. They ended up with a better offer in the end, so I guess it comes down to how long until they get the offer they feel is acceptable. I suspect those Fehr/Bettman discussions have been about that very topic. We'll see...

583NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:55 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:I saw this in an Ottawa Sun article today:
-------------

Yeah, they know the deal. And they knew it last lockout too. They ended up with a better offer in the end, so I guess it comes down to how long until they get the offer they feel is acceptable. I suspect those Fehr/Bettman discussions have been about that very topic. We'll see...

I'm not holding out much hope. The players know it will not be settled soon.. that's why so many are jumping ship to Europe...

584NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:09 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Mid-November.

585NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Turris going to Finland. Not even going to try to spell the name of the team.

Edit: Oh, alright: Kärpät Oulu

586NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:21 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Mid-November.

I'm saying late Nov/early Dec. Nod 60ish game season.

587NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:14 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:

They were speculating on the Team 1200 on Friday with Pierre McGuire thinking if nothing is settled by the first part of December.. the Winter Classic along with the entire NHL season will be cancelled.

588NHL CBA Talk - Page 39 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:16 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sandysensfan wrote:
spader wrote:

They were speculating on the Team 1200 on Friday with Pierre McGuire thinking if nothing is settled by the first part of December.. the Winter Classic along with the entire NHL season will be cancelled.

I think the Winter Classic is the big showcase event and if they can't play that, they probably figure the rest of the season is not worth playing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 39 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 53 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum