GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

+13
Flo The Action
Amnesia021
dennycrane
Ev
Hoags
Riprock
PTFlea
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
spader
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 15]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

So wow was I shocked when I looked up stats to compare Methot to Schenn and found out that Schenn has played 35 more NHL games despite being 4 years younger. He also has a higher PPG, which is not important for the type of players they are. But he's also amongst leaders in hits year in and out.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The problem is the hole Pronger left. He was a massive part of that D core and now he's basically gone.

Bryzgalov is a tremendous flake, I'd be scared dungless to have him as my goalie. No mental toughness at all.

If he sucks as hard as a lot of people expect him to, the Flyers could actually miss the playoffs. It's that competitive in the East.

Possibly the worst off season move was Holmgren NOT aggressively going out to sign Vokoun, instead letting him sign with a division rival.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Vokoun never made it to the off-season, he was traded and signed well before July 1.

Bryzgalov just needs to get serious - he's too distracting. He needs discipline.

Pronger is for sure a huge void - and I don't think he can even be considered as possibly coming back.

But Timmonen, Cobourn, Meszaros and Schenn is pretty good.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Riprock wrote:Vokoun never made it to the off-season, he was traded and signed well before July 1.

Bryzgalov just needs to get serious - he's too distracting. He needs discipline.

Pronger is for sure a huge void - and I don't think he can even be considered as possibly coming back.

But Timmonen, Cobourn, Meszaros and Schenn is pretty good.

Holmgren has acquired rights to players before, he should have had a gameplan and gotten Vokoun immediately.

Big mistake.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

But they have the Leviathan that is Bryzgalov's contract. I think they really want to make it work. Look at Vancouver and Luongo.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Riprock wrote:But they have the Leviathan that is Bryzgalov's contract. I think they really want to make it work. Look at Vancouver and Luongo.

I know, but what good is it when Bryz gets rattled so badly and could cost you a playoff spot. He needs to be pushed by a veteran who knows what's up. Vokoun would have been perfect, he's backing up a Stanley Cup winning goalie who actually goes through similar mental breakdowns as Bryz.

Let's put it this way...if the Flyers don't get a 1B - ie, a guy who KNOWS he's the backup, but is still fighting to try to get that spot away from Bryz, like a Ben Bishop for example, they're Cussed IMO. They have a flaky, mentally weak goaltender, they have a spotty D core, they have good forwards, but can they win the games where the goaltending lets them down? I doubt they can do it all the time, let's just say that for now - and if Holmgren doesn't know that, he's Cussed too.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:I don't like Philly at all and they will be fighting it out with everyone else for the last playoff spot(s).

The more I think about it, the more I think you might be right. There's a real chance they miss. Giroux is amazing, Bryzgalov is NOT.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Philly is no better than Ottawa and I would take Ottawa's team over Philly's at this point. I think Ottawa's goaltending is better and deeper, their defense has a lot more offense, and the offense is probably at par. If people say Ottawa will be fighting it out for a final spot (which I agree with) than Philly is too.

Only difference is Philly is Philly and people will just assume they are one of the best teams in the East because they are the Flyers.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Philly is no better than Ottawa and I would take Ottawa's team over Philly's at this point. I think Ottawa's goaltending is better and deeper, their defense has a lot more offense, and the offense is probably at par. If people say Ottawa will be fighting it out for a final spot (which I agree with) than Philly is too.

Philly's offence (from the forwards) is better than ours, Giroux is better than anyone on our team. Way more proven, we have question marks like Turris, Latendresse and Silfverberg.

They were way better at generating chances, the game we lost in OT due to Briere's winner they were in our zone for pretty much the entire 5 mins, and we were just barely hanging on and hoping the time would run out and it didn't.

When we beat it's because Bryzgalov and Bobrovsky were awful, not because our offence was better.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:Philly is no better than Ottawa and I would take Ottawa's team over Philly's at this point. I think Ottawa's goaltending is better and deeper, their defense has a lot more offense, and the offense is probably at par. If people say Ottawa will be fighting it out for a final spot (which I agree with) than Philly is too.

Philly's offence (from the forwards) is better than ours, Giroux is better than anyone on our team. Way more proven, we have question marks like Turris, Latendresse and Silfverberg.

They were way better at generating chances, the game we lost in OT due to Briere's winner they were in our zone for pretty much the entire 5 mins, and we were just barely hanging on and hoping the time would run out and it didn't.

When we beat it's because Bryzgalov and Bobrovsky were awful, not because our offence was better.

How is Giroux more proven than Spezza?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Only difference is Philly is Philly and people will just assume they are one of the best teams in the East because they are the Flyers.

They're like the Detroit of the East for that reason.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
Hoags wrote:

Not more proven, just flat out better.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:

Philly's and Ottawa offense is a wash. Giroux is the best player by a mile, no doubt but other than that I take Ottawa's at the present time over theirs.

Briere's regualr seasons are meh, they lost JVR, they lost Jagr, Hartnell had a career year, Simmonds is awesome but he's a 2nd line guy. In Philly I see 1 legit 1st line guy, that's it. Ottawa's offense is deeper, more complete top to bottom, and has more potential than Philly's as well.

You mention the OT game, why not bring up the game they lost 7-2 as well? Ottawa took 5 of 8 points out of Philly last year but of course Philly is the better team by a mile right?

Philly lost Pronger, Jagr, JVR, and they were replaced with Luke Schenn (who I think will have a good season in Philly). Their goaltending is actually worse as well. Philly is in tough to make the playoffs and IMO they won't.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Hoags wrote:

Not more proven, just flat out better.

I'll agree he's a better player, but until he has a season where he's significantly better than Spezza statistically, I think they cancel out each other for better or worse.

For example, who did Giroux have for wingers last year and who did Spezza have?

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Might be a fair point but I'll still say that Giroux brings a lot more to the lineup than Spezza. Giroux is a guy you know will show up, Spezza you are still not sure what you get each night.

Point wise, sure, they will probably be close. Who do you want on your team each and every night though? Giroux and to me, INEC.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:Might be a fair point but I'll still say that Giroux brings a lot more to the lineup than Spezza. Giroux is a guy you know will show up, Spezza you are still not sure what you get each night.

Point wise, sure, they will probably be close. Who do you want on your team each and every night though? Giroux and to me, INEC.

I'll agree with that, I thought he was talking about solely offense.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

The Flyers are much better on paper then the Sens, I'm not even sure how someone could even argue that. Game is played on the ice though and a guy like McStache can go a long way towards making us one of the better teams in the conference.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

stempniaksen wrote:The Flyers are much better on paper then the Sens, I'm not even sure how someone could even argue that. Game is played on the ice though and a guy like McStache can go a long way towards making us one of the better teams in the conference.

I don't see it at all then. Where are the Flyers sooo much better than the Sens even on paper?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum