GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

+13
Flo The Action
Amnesia021
dennycrane
Ev
Hoags
Riprock
PTFlea
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
spader
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 15]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Pfft, retaliation is non existent, it's well within the rules.

Personally, I want Benn. Let's do it! Ahhhhh!

When has retaliation ever happened ? Has Chicago offer sheeted SJ for their offer to Hammer ?

I don't think we're in a position to give up multiple 1st rounders.

Weber is a unique situation where he'd want to leave Nashville given what's happened, and a huge poison pill offer sheet might not be matched by ownership. I can't think of any other RFA where you could conceive the possibility of the other team not matching.

Besdies, cheapskate Melnyk would never hand out that much money at once.

Precisely.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Pfft, retaliation is non existent, it's well within the rules.

Personally, I want Benn. Let's do it! Ahhhhh!

When has retaliation ever happened ? Has Chicago offer sheeted SJ for their offer to Hammer ?

I don't think we're in a position to give up multiple 1st rounders.

Weber is a unique situation where he'd want to leave Nashville given what's happened, and a huge poison pill offer sheet might not be matched by ownership. I can't think of any other RFA where you could conceive the possibility of the other team not matching.

Besdies, cheapskate Melnyk would never hand out that much money at once.

First of all, you should be asking me, not Spez, I am the one who said that a team might retaliate with an offer sheet of their against a team that got to them.

And finally, it has happened. On July 1, 2008, Vancouver signed David Backes to an offer sheet. A week later, St. Louis signed Steve Bernier to an offer sheet.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Yeah, heard that yesterday... but Poile said they were prepared to shell out for Suter and Weber... so, time to put the $$$ where the mouth is...

It's probably all talk, I mean is he supposed to say that they can't afford it ? GMs always say they will match any offer sheet.

I doubt Poile's offer to Suter was as frontloaded as this, with a lockout looming this is now more complicated..

They're SOL if they don't match but I think there's legitimate questions whether they can really afford it.

Or if they do match it, how much $$$ will be left to fill out the rest of their roster ?

Has the contract even been approved by the NHL? Last two seasons are $1M each is a clear attempt to circumvent the cap as there is no way he will play for $1M with $100+ in the bank when he is 39/40. First four seasons he's getting the bulk of it paid up July 1. Insane.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

IIRC, it doesn't matter what the salary is, so long as it is no less than 50% of the previous year. That's what I thought, but I think one of the latest big deals (Parise/Suter) didn't follow that either.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Just because Philly signed Weber guarantees them nothing (if the Preds don't match).

They have very good forwards, a decent D and a headcase in net.

I would match Boston or the Rangers D against the Flyers D with Weber because Boston & the Rangers both have excellent goaltending, which the Flyers don't.

This is going to put a lot of pressure on Bryzgalov and if he wilts under it.. Flyers will not be going anywhere near a Cup.

Holmgren is a gutsy GM who isn't afraid to do anything to try to improve his team.. including trading his top 2 players last off-season in Richards & Carter who should be thanking him very much because they both now have a Cup ring.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I agree, the Flyers will have a hard time winning a Cup with Bryzgalov in net.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:I agree, the Flyers will have a hard time not be winning a Cup with Bryzgalov in net.

FYP

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Apparently Shane Doan is going to Philly to see the 'city'. ... like he just finished doing in NY.

Now IF the Flyers sign Weber -- and when the off-season comes -- they again put Pronger on LTIR (I guess he still has post-concussion syndrome.. talk about Karma) - they would have about 5M in cap space... (I think). They still have to sign Vorachek and have another D -- Bourdon (I think his name is) to sign. So how in the hell can they afford Doan?

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

sandysensfan wrote:Apparently Shane Doan is going to Philly to see the 'city'. ... like he just finished doing in NY.

Now IF the Flyers sign Weber -- and when the off-season comes -- they again put Pronger on LTIR (I guess he still has post-concussion syndrome.. talk about Karma) - they would have about 5M in cap space... (I think). They still have to sign Vorachek and have another D -- Bourdon (I think his name is) to sign. So how in the hell can they afford Doan?

Philly doesn't worry about those things. Holmgren will do whatever he wants, then deal with the fallout later. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Voracek for picks, to be honest.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:Apparently Shane Doan is going to Philly to see the 'city'. ... like he just finished doing in NY.

Philly doesn't worry about those things. Holmgren will do whatever he wants, then deal with the fallout later. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded Voracek for picks, to be honest.

But you see.. Holmgren is one of the problems. Along with Sather, Lamarello -- the big 3 culprits that have been mostly responsible for the mess they are trying to fix in the new CBA.. whining and going on about high players salaries... and look what they have done to most certainly contribute to that.

sandysensfan wrote:
spader wrote:

But you see.. Holmgren is one of the problems. Along with Sather, Lamarello -- the big 3 culprits that have been mostly responsible for the mess they are trying to fix in the new CBA.. whining and going on about high players salaries... and look what they have done to most certainly contribute to that.

The man who is doing that the most at this point is none other than Craig Leopold who owns the Wild.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:

He'd look good here.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:

He'd look good here.

They'd sooner deal Hartnell and I'd like to see him in Ottawa. Although, I can't see Philly doing a soft deal with a Conference rival.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:

He'd look good here.

They'd sooner deal Hartnell and I'd like to see him in Ottawa. Although, I can't see Philly doing a soft deal with a Conference rival.

I doubt it would be a soft trade, but we have the picks/prospects to make a move if a)the other team is willing and b)the player is right.

I'm not sure about Hartnell, he's good, but he had a career year and I don't like him.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
spader wrote:

He'd look good here.

I doubt it would be a soft trade, but we have the picks/prospects to make a move if a)the other team is willing and b)the player is right.

I'm not sure about Hartnell, he's good, but he had a career year and I don't like him.

You don't really have to worry because he makes well over 1 million.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SSF loves Hartnell. I saw it carved out on a tree...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Just got told by 1 NHL Exec it looks like Preds will match Weber offer sheet. "Unless,Flyers are prepared to make a great trade"#doubtful

Worst news ever for Philly!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Deadline is tomorrow night, 11:30pm.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum