GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

+13
Flo The Action
Amnesia021
dennycrane
Ev
Hoags
Riprock
PTFlea
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
wprager
spader
SensHulk
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 15]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

If they didn't match it was the end of their franchise. Hopefully this goes a long way in building that team as a legit hockey city. Respect was earned today.

spader

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:If they didn't match it was the end of their franchise. Hopefully this goes a long way in building that team as a legit hockey city. Respect was earned today.

Nashville's been legit for some time.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I thought the bonuses would prevent Nashville from matching. Happy they did. Now this will be interesting to see how enthusiastic Weber is about being a Preds for life. Sarcasm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The rest of the Eastern Conference thanks the Flyers and Preds.

Wink

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Even though they matched, still could have ripple effects. Ticket prices could go up for owner to recoup costs, thus attendance and revenue falls.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Flo The Action wrote:I thought the bonuses would prevent Nashville from matching. Happy they did. Now this will be interesting to see how enthusiastic Weber is about being a Preds for life. Sarcasm
So, if there is a year-long lockout, the Preds still have to pay the bonuses right? $13M later this year, and another $13M on July 1st next year.

So, $26M dolled out and Weber wouldn't even lace up.

Is that correct?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:
Riprock wrote:Nashville should sign Voracek to an offer sheet now.

I'm thinking that might be doing Philly a favour. They have a bit of a logjam in the top 6 right now with Briere, Giroux, Hartnell, Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Read, and Voracek. Losing Voracek for a 1st and a 3rd wouldn't be terrible. They can possibly do better than that on the trade front, but I don't know that they'd match at this point.

If this is still the correct compensation, then I'd offer $3.134M max, which would only cost a 2nd round pick, for a 45-50 point forward. If Philly matches, so be it. Then they are stuck with a $3M+ bottom 6 forward they can't trade for at least one year, and prevents them from making other moves (i.e. Doan, a defenceman). Also takes away a bargaining chip in any possible trade offers to acquire a defenceman now that they lost out on Weber.

$1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation
$1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick
$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick
$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick
$4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick
$6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third
$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm glad they matched so Philly didn't end up with Weber.

I'm also glad they matched because Nashville would have lost their team if they didn't match.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

No offence, but if losing the team meant Canada got an 8th team, then I wouldn't care if Nashville lost their team.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Riprock wrote:No offence, but if losing the team meant Canada got an 8th team, then I wouldn't care if Nashville lost their team.

Meh, let them take Phoenix in QC.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

That will never happen. It would have happened years ago. Don't get me started on Arizona, no idea how they still have a team (despite not actually owning one).

Riprock wrote:That will never happen. It would have happened years ago. Don't get me started on Arizona, no idea how they still have a team (despite not actually owning one).

Gary. Bettman's. Pride.

In all seriousness, the NHL does all it can to keep franchises where they can, and as Ottawa fans, I would think we'd be real thankful for that. Having said that, I think the league will move the Coyotes if this Jamieson bid falls through.

Riprock wrote:Even though they matched, still could have ripple effects. Ticket prices could go up for owner to recoup costs, thus attendance and revenue falls.

Perhaps, but with the bulk of the cash being paid up front, when Weber is 31-32 in his prime, that contract will be massively sexy with so little money remaining. By then, he could have a Norris or two and his value could be otherwordly.

This contract for the Preds is short term pain, for long term gain.

Hmm, according to capgeek, this Weber contract does not include a NMC, or at least it's unknown at this point. How fantastic for the Preds if not.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No NTC or NMC as far as I've read - and the contract can't be altered. The offer sheet is the contract - it's done.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Big Ev wrote:Diddle yeah says Poile:

WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 10 2012NHLAwards_WeberPoileRinne_hpg

Seriously, build around Weber and Rinne, no real issue there. You lost Suter, it'll be as much a wakeup call to Suter as it is to the Preds. No way he has as good a season in Minny without Weber. Who's gonna play with him? Gilbert? Yikes...

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock wrote:Hmm, according to capgeek, this Weber contract does not include a NMC, or at least it's unknown at this point. How fantastic for the Preds if not.
Yeah, I believe that is a condition of an offer sheet - they can't be part of the offer sheet. Word was that if the Preds did not match, Philly would put one in place after via an amendment.

But, now that the Preds have matched, they have the contract without an NMC/NTC. Bonus for them.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Riprock wrote:
spader wrote:
Riprock wrote:Nashville should sign Voracek to an offer sheet now.

I'm thinking that might be doing Philly a favour. They have a bit of a logjam in the top 6 right now with Briere, Giroux, Hartnell, Schenn, Simmonds, Couturier, Read, and Voracek. Losing Voracek for a 1st and a 3rd wouldn't be terrible. They can possibly do better than that on the trade front, but I don't know that they'd match at this point.

If this is still the correct compensation, then I'd offer $3.134M max, which would only cost a 2nd round pick, for a 45-50 point forward. If Philly matches, so be it. Then they are stuck with a $3M+ bottom 6 forward they can't trade for at least one year, and prevents them from making other moves (i.e. Doan, a defenceman). Also takes away a bargaining chip in any possible trade offers to acquire a defenceman now that they lost out on Weber.

$1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation
$1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick
$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick
$3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick
$4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick
$6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third
$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

Ha. That works, except he probably wouldn't sign the sheet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum