GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa without Mr. Anderson

+12
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
rooneypoo
shabbs
NEELY
stempniaksen
tim1_2
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

31Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:05 am

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
A vet in the AHL will absolutely have a little more success than a guy like Lehner because the game is different and he knows how to play it. Lehner plays well when there is some structure in the game, where players know what they are doing and what their jobs actually are.

Like I said, give Lehner a team that he trusts and see where it goes. He's shown what he can do when he trust his D and the player sin front of him does his job.

You're correct but it'd be more impressive if he could play better despite the awful team in front of him. Getting that kind of experience would be useful. For all the Lehner hype, it's a bit disappointing we have to make excuses for him.

Like I said Emery played in Bingo for 3 years, why can't Lehner ?

32Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:
A vet in the AHL will absolutely have a little more success than a guy like Lehner because the game is different and he knows how to play it. Lehner plays well when there is some structure in the game, where players know what they are doing and what their jobs actually are.

Like I said, give Lehner a team that he trusts and see where it goes. He's shown what he can do when he trust his D and the player sin front of him does his job.

You're correct but it'd be more impressive if he could play better despite the awful team in front of him. Getting that kind of experience would be useful. For all the Lehner hype, it's a bit disappointing we have to make excuses for him.

It's a lost cause. Nobody wants to blame Lehner for his own poor play. Having said that, I do agree that a better calibre of hockey might help him.

My own son had a terrible year of Major Midget (House League) Hockey and only let in 1 goal in 2 days of Junior B tryouts and no goals on 17 shots in 1 period of Exhibition.

33Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:11 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:Ray Emery had no problem playing for Bingo for 3 years and he's the most Dung insane goalie to enter the NHL in the last 10 years.

He put up more wins and better numbers and Bingo was awful then as well.

I think all this hype and Calder Cup success has gone to Lehner's head and he thinks he's better and more NHL ready than he actually is.

Most experts you'll ask will tell you that numbers for a goalie on an AHL team are basically useless.

34Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:12 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Lehner recalled:

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=618700

Here we go.

35Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:Lehner recalled:

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=618700

Here we go.

Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

36Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:17 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

LeKid wrote:
Most experts you'll ask will tell you that numbers for a goalie on an AHL team are basically useless.

I've been looking up AHL numbers for some of the best young goalies in the NHL right now and they're all better than Lehner's and they all had more AHL experience than him. All I'm say is he's been disappointing this year, I don't think he's played enough down there, and generally speaking his career path isn't like other young NHL goalies who worked their way up.

The X-factor is his Calder Cup run and the pure skill we all know he has so it's hard to say. Even Goldman who's been a big Lehner fan says we should call up McKenna (although he'd have to clear waivers, I don't think he's considered that).

37Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Play better...? In what way? He's not letting in goals from the corner or the red line, pucks are not squeeking through him on a regular basis, he's not even playing all that badly. I'm not making any excuse for him, I'm saying he hasn't been awful. Has he been all-star calibre? Probably not.

Lehner is pretty much ready for the NHL and he's been ready since he won that championship last year. Next year he is 100% for sure in Ottawa, now... he's getting a chance and he could very well be the guy that takes the ball and runs with it for the next 10 years.

This actually sucks for Anderson more because he may have just lost a starters spot if Lehner comes in and plays the way people want/expect him to. Way too early to say that will happen but this is exactly how a goalie makes a name for himself and exactly how a goalie loses his spot.

38Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:22 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
LeKid wrote:

I've been looking up AHL numbers for some of the best young goalies in the NHL right now and they're all better than Lehner's and they all had more AHL experience than him. All I'm say is he's been disappointing this year, I don't think he's played enough down there, and generally speaking his career path isn't like other young NHL goalies who worked their way up.

The X-factor is his Calder Cup run and the pure skill we all know he has so it's hard to say. Even Goldman who's been a big Lehner fan says we should call up McKenna (although he'd have to clear waivers, I don't think he's considered that).

Same guy that said Anderson would be a disater in Ottawa? Same guy that said Emery was going to be lights out coming back from the hip?

Lehner has EARNED a shot in Ottawa, he's shown he can play in the NHL, you bring up the guy that's part of the future.

39Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well, things were getting boring anyway, with the team playing so well, and a playoff spot looking more and more like a sure bet. Now we have more intrigue!!!

40Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:26 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Lehner is pretty much ready for the NHL and he's been ready since he won that championship last year. Next year he is 100% for sure in Ottawa, now... he's getting a chance and he could very well be the guy that takes the ball and runs with it for the next 10 years.

Skill wise yes.

I don't think he has enough experience, especially experience as a #1 goalie. When (If) he'll be a #1 goalie in Ottawa, he'll be looking back on his experience as a pro starting goalie and he hasn't really had that. He's been splitting starts with Brust and McKenna past 2 years. Could he handle starting 60+ NHL games when he's only played 20+ in the AHL past 2 years ? I am thinking years into the future here, I know he'll be a backup to Andy for a while.

He's going to get hung out to dry in Ottawa as well, with all the young D-men we have on the way up. Even this year, Anderson has had to bail our defence out many times. We play with more structure here but we still need our goalie to come up when the inevitable brain farts occur.

41Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:29 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Same guy that said Anderson would be a disater in Ottawa? Same guy that said Emery was going to be lights out coming back from the hip?

He's a bitter Avs fan in Colorado, even then I don't recall him saying Anderson will be a disaster just that we should have a better #2 than Auld to challenge him, which is true.

42Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:32 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Skill wise yes.

I don't think he has enough experience, especially experience as a #1 goalie. When (If) he'll be a #1 goalie in Ottawa, he'll be looking back on his experience as a pro starting goalie and he hasn't really had that. He's been splitting starts with Brust and McKenna past 2 years. Could he handle starting 60+ NHL games when he's only played 20+ in the AHL past 2 years ? I am thinking years into the future here, I know he'll be a backup to Andy for a while.

He's going to get hung out to dry in Ottawa as well, with all the young D-men we have on the way up. Even this year, Anderson has had to bail our defence out many times. We play with more structure here but we still need our goalie to come up when the inevitable brain farts occur.

What do you think is happening in Bingo? Only difference is it's way worse then it ever could be in Ottawa. Anderson hasn't been standing on his head the last month or two, he's been good for sure but I can't remember the last game he actually stole.

The Sens success has been goal scoring and a much improved overall team defense.

Lehner doesn't need to start 60 plus games, he needs to learn and there really isn't anything for him to learn in the AHL. Could he be more consistant in the AHL? Absolutely. Is it worth him rotting away on an awful team for the next year or two? No, probably not.

43Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:32 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

He's a bitter Avs fan in Colorado, even then I don't recall him saying Anderson will be a disaster just that we should have a better #2 than Auld to challenge him, which is true.

he siad it last year after he was traded. Anyways, that guy has little credibility.

44Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:35 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

It's a lost cause. Nobody wants to blame Lehner for his own poor play. Having said that, I do agree that a better calibre of hockey might help him.

My own son had a terrible year of Major Midget (House League) Hockey and only let in 1 goal in 2 days of Junior B tryouts and no goals on 17 shots in 1 period of Exhibition.

it's settled then. Sign SSF's son immediately. Make sure that the contract guarantees the no matter which sub he buys at Subway - it will be $5 CDN - tax in.

45Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:38 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Lehner doesn't need to start 60 plus games, he needs to learn and there really isn't anything for him to learn in the AHL. Could he be more consistant in the AHL? Absolutely. Is it worth him rotting away on an awful team for the next year or two? No, probably not.

That's just it, it'd be nice if he showed some consistency. Probably not worth it to have him rot away there but Bingo should be better next year although we'll probably lose KK so who knows. How can he be a #1 NHL goalie when he can't even be a #1 AHL goalie ?

NEELY wrote:
he siad it last year after he was traded. Anyways, that guy has little credibility.

He does scouting reports for NHL teams, not saying he's a definite resource but I have yet to find a better resource on the net on NHL goalies and prospects.

Last edited by Hoags on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

46Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:39 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

it's settled then. Sign SSF's son immediately. Make sure that the contract guarantees the no matter which sub he buys at Subway - it will be $5 CDN - tax in.

He's not 18 yet! Haha. By the way, he bought me a steak sub last night. Seriously. Not only that but the Manager is friendly with him so he was charged for a Meatball and got free cookies.

47Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Lehner needs to stay with The Alfie. This did wonders for Kid Karlsson.

Nothing some good home cooked meatballs and family trips to IKEA can't fix.

48Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:43 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:Lehner needs to stay with The Alfie. This did wonders for Kid Karlsson.

Nothing some good home cooked meatballs and trips to IKEA can't fix.

Do you think that having the biggest IKEA in Canada will make the Senators the team of choice for Swedish UFAs?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum