GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do You Trade Anderson?

+7
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
wprager
LeCaptain
NEELY
tim1_2
dennycrane
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:41 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

This is a veteran goalie who is on a good deal and has been a real good player for the Sens.

Pros of Trading
  • Value may never be higher
  • Deal from strength
  • See what you have in Lehner
  • Weaken the team for this year

Cons of Trading
  • Weaken the team for this year
  • Good goalie helps out young D - allows them a cushion to learn from mistakes
  • Goalie trade market is inconsistent - may not get good value

Finding a decent backup for Lehner should not be a problem, good backups are usually available on the FA market. I don't see how this doesn't work for Minnesota and I think the time to strike is now.

2Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:54 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If things continue to go down the crapper, I can see trading him closer to the deadline. Goalies don't seem to garner as much in trades or via free agency as they once did, but Anderson will be the most valuable goalies available by far.

But yeah, in the end, he should be traded in Feb if we haven't improved and gotten ourselves in the playoff race.

3Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:57 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

If the deal is right, for sure. I think that goes for any player.

Should they actively seek out a move? That's a tough question. I think maybe you throw it out there to Minny or Edmonton and see what they would offer back but it's a super tough call.

Is Anderson's value going to be any higher than it is now? No, prob not. Is Anderson going to be the guy in between the net pipes when the Sens have the ability to contend? No, prob not. Is the team going to change in the short term or win more games and make a push for the playoffs if it's Lehner over Anderson? More debatable but no, prob not.

4Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:57 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:If things continue to go down the crapper, I can see trading him closer to the deadline. Goalies don't seem to garner as much in trades or via free agency as they once did, but Anderson will be the most valuable goalies available by far.

But yeah, in the end, he should be traded in Feb if we haven't improved and gotten ourselves in the playoff race.

Exactly, stick it out a little more, see what happens and what unfolds. Let the story play out a little more then come to a conclusion.

I think Murray needs to make a move just to clear out a body ASAP but that move isn't Anderson.

5Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:14 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

At the end of the day here I think if they do move Anderson it will be an off season move. A team taking on Anderson will want to know exactly where they stand and what they need going forward. I'm not convinced the best deal will come at the deadline for Anderson unless Minny becomes absolutely desperate to make a push or win a round or two.

There are more important moves in Ottawa to make even if they are smaller than worrying about your MVP who is signed at a great deal for 3 more years.

Move the dead weight somehow first, Phillips, Greening, Smith, if you can that is.

6Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:36 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

My thinking on Minny is that they really look like they are a goalie away. They could be a motivated buyer. The risk of waiting to the deadline is that more goalies become available, thus driving the price down. As well, if they wait and Anderson gets hurt, they have missed an opportunity.

7Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:42 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Maybe, maybe not. Minny is in a tough spot because they are both young and old and need to keep building but their window to compete will be shut in 2, 3 years time. They do need to make a move and they need to make it now.

Edmonton would be another team but again, off season.

8Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:34 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

He certainly should be moved if we get a good player back.
Should not be shopped though. Let the other teams get desperate.

9Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't think Anderson gives us significant advantage over Lehner right now. Certainly not enough to get them to the .640 or something like that winning percentage they'll need to make the playoffs. The most likely outcome would be that they will continue to play around .500 and just miss a top-ten pick (unless the lottery is kind to them). If Lehner struggles then maybe we can upgrade that pick to a top 5.

I honestly don't see any "pros" to keeping Anderson. We are not going to, all of a sudden, start winning 2 out of every 3 games with him in goal. This has been going on all season.

10Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:40 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Depends on the return, but what gives any indication Lehner is ready to be a starter?

11Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

dennycrane wrote:My thinking on Minny is that they really look like they are a goalie away. They could be a motivated buyer. The risk of waiting to the deadline is that more goalies become available, thus driving the price down. As well, if they wait and Anderson gets hurt, they have missed an opportunity.

They are 6 points out (although with a couple games in hand) but their next three are against the Preds, Hawks and Pens. Then Buffalo, who have been better of late. The goal differential is negative and over the last 10 games they've lost ground on *all* the teams ahead of them. They can't afford to wait.

12Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Depends on the return, but what gives any indication Lehner is ready to be a starter?

Honestly, who cares? If you believe that he *will* be a starter eventually, then you might as well speed things along by giving lots of playing experience. I don't think he's learning anything valuable from Anderson right now.

13Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:05 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Interesting discussion. Yet we are no closer to answering the question: "Do You Trade Anderson?"

14Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:19 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:Interesting discussion. Yet we are no closer to answering the question: "Do You Trade Anderson?"

Do You Trade Anderson? Tumblr_n7zzpd30aZ1qzdfwko1_400

15Do You Trade Anderson? Empty Re: Do You Trade Anderson? Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:33 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:Depends on the return, but what gives any indication Lehner is ready to be a starter?

Lehner isn't quite as consistent as you would like in a starter, but he is certainly capable of turning in more good efforts than poor. I don't really have a problem with him being our #1 as long as we all understand that it's a downgrade over Matrix in the short term.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum