GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa without Mr. Anderson

+12
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
LeCaptain
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
rooneypoo
shabbs
NEELY
stempniaksen
tim1_2
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 7]

16Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:55 am

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

I think we should stay the course. You give Lehner a chance. If he has the nards to win a Calder cup, he has the nards to play under pressure.

You keep the chain tight though. He starts to turd it up the crease and you send him back and give the other Bingo goalie a chance.

As a last resort, perhaps the tie can do a few games......

17Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think you give Auld the nod. If he falls on his face you give the reigns to Lehner and ride out the season hoping for the best.

18Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:03 am

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

I say stick with the plan if Anderson is out long term the plan was to go with Lehner.

We're not even supposed to be in a playoff spot so run with that, I have no faith in Auld and I don't think MacLean does either. He put up a good save% in front of a Jacques Martin trap team, he's been Auldful this year.

I don't think there is any good goalies available either, at least none worth the massive price, other teams will try and milk us knowing our situation.

19Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well, I'm sure Sens management know a lot more on the prognosis than we do and if it is indeed 8 weeks that he's expected to be out, then we may see Murray make a move. I think Lehner/Auld can fill in for sure. 8 weeks is a long time though. As many have said, we've had a need for a better backup for a while now so it's possible Murray has deals that he's been working on that may get actioned. Who knows.

But, maybe having Lehner up with the club for 8 weeks will be better in the long run.

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. I just don't want a knee jerk reaction to happen where we give up assets for a short term solution while we're in a rebuild mode.

20Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:26 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I think anyone faulting Lehner for the season he is having in Bingo should really just realize how sad of a team Bingo actually is. It's awful there, they are the worst team in the AHL.

Numbers don't mean anything at this point, like I was saying yesterday that's a reflection of the team, not Lehner. Give Lehner a group of NHL players or hell, give him a group of AHL players and you would see what he can do.

Let Auld and Lehner split this weekend, give Auld the game Saturday vs the Bruins, give Lehner the game Sunday, go from there.

21Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:28 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Ray Emery had no problem playing for Bingo for 3 years and he's the most Dung insane goalie to enter the NHL in the last 10 years.

He put up more wins and better numbers and Bingo was awful then as well.

I think all this hype and Calder Cup success has gone to Lehner's head and he thinks he's better and more NHL ready than he actually is.

22Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:37 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:Ray Emery had no problem playing for Bingo for 3 years and he's the most Dung insane goalie to enter the NHL in the last 10 years.

I think all this hype and Calder Cup success has gone to Lehner's head and he thinks he's better and more NHL ready than he actually is.

How has it gone to his head? What proof or even any kind of sign is there that anything has gone to his head? He's literally playing in front of an ECHL team for the most part. The defense is awful and the AHL is a place where the forwards go to actually learn there is another side to the game. NO GOALTENDER IN THE WORLD would make that Bingo team a playoff team, none. Lundqvist, Price, Rinne, whoever, they are that bad.

He's playing behind a team with no structure, no leader, no real NHL talent outside of Borowiecki and maybe Petersson at the current moment... it's absolute trash people are putting any of the season on him at this point.

The guy is NHL ready and that was proven last year. Is he NHL starter ready? No. But he's ready to be on an NHL roster. He's done everything he can in the AHL and IMO keeping him there is doing more harm then good at this point. Goaltender numbers in the AHL mean nothing or close to it.

23Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:40 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:

I agree with you and Neely, if that's possible. Lehner has seemed a little too cocky (exhibit A: Last night, after the Anderson news broke, Lehner tweeted "Wink" ... as if he was happy to get his chance...no mention of "sorry to hear about Anderson", etc).

Anyway, Lehner's young, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in this case. He seems like a bit of a headcase, but then a lot of goalies are. This is a great opportunity for him, and it'll give Ottawa a good look to see what he's made of.

24Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
Hoags wrote:

I agree with you and Neely, if that's possible. Lehner has seemed a little too cocky (exhibit A: Last night, after the Anderson news broke, Lehner tweeted "Wink" ... as if he was happy to get his chance...no mention of "sorry to hear about Anderson", etc).

Anyway, Lehner's young, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in this case. He seems like a bit of a headcase, but then a lot of goalies are. This is a great opportunity for him, and it'll give Ottawa a good look to see what he's made of.

I love that from a goaltender. "Anderson got hurt? So what? I'm going to come in and try and be the difference maker". Goalies don't need to be good team guys, they need to stop the puck and do their job. Lehner's last concern is Anderson.

25Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:47 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

I love that from a goaltender. "Anderson got hurt? So what? I'm going to come in and try and be the difference maker". Goalies don't need to be good team guys, they need to stop the puck and do their job. Lehner's last concern is Anderson.

I guess that's the other way to interpret it. I probably just read too much into it, as I was so emotionally distressed after hearing the news about Matrix . Seriously. It made me physically upset. Does anyone know where Pascal Leclaire was last night?

26Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:47 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:

How has it gone to his head? What proof or even any kind of sign is there that anything has gone to his head? He's literally playing in front of an ECHL team for the most part. The defense is awful and the AHL is a place where the forwards go to actually learn there is another side to the game. NO GOALTENDER IN THE WORLD would make that Bingo team a playoff team, none. Lundqvist, Price, Rinne, whoever, they are that bad.

I am not talking about making Bingo a playoff team. I am talking about Lehner's overall play. He was supposed to be the #1 down there and yet McKenna has better numbers and more wins. He has the same ECHL team in front of him. KK has been splitting the starts between when Lehner should be getting the majority.

Up and coming NHL goalies typically play the starter's role in the AHL for 1+ years before playing backup for 1+ years at a minimum before earning a starter's role.

Unless Lehner is the Swedish Patrick Roy I don't think he's had enough experience down there.

27Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:49 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:

Lots of Sens fan were cheering him to come up here, get hot and get us into the postseason, I think that was a response to all the fans.

I don't think he's being mean, he is very competitive and I'm sure he realizes this is his big chance.

28Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:50 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

The other thing about Lehner, I would bet 90% of that room believes he can be the guy. Smith, Greening, Butler, Cowen, Daugavins, O'Brien, all know he can do the job, that's over a 1/4 of the team. Lehner has shown how good he is and how good he actually can be. Give a goalie that size who plays that kind of style a little structure in the team game, he will be fine.

29Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I am not talking about making Bingo a playoff team. I am talking about Lehner's overall play. He was supposed to be the #1 down there and yet McKenna has better numbers and more wins. He has the same ECHL team in front of him. KK has been splitting the starts between when Lehner should be getting the majority.

Up and coming NHL goalies typically play the starter's role in the AHL for 1+ years before playing backup for 1+ years at a minimum before earning a starter's role.

Unless Lehner is the Swedish Patrick Roy I don't think he's had enough experience down there.

A vet in the AHL will absolutely have a little more success than a guy like Lehner because the game is different and he knows how to play it. Lehner plays well when there is some structure in the game, where players know what they are doing and what their jobs actually are.

As for KK, he's trying to find a spark of some sort and is trying to find something that works. Nothing is working. Comparing numbers of goaltenders in the AHL is pretty fruitless, they mean close to nothing. Numbers are skewed because of the fact it's a education lesson for 75% of the players in the league.

Like I said, give Lehner a team that he trusts and see where it goes. He's shown what he can do when he trust his D and the player sin front of him does his job.

30Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:03 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Robin Lehner because A, he needs to play some NHL games this year for his motivation, B because the guy has the right mindset to take advantage of his opportunities and C, because we were not an Anderson away from a total collapse (with a way the potential 8th seeds are playing now that's what it would take to get us out of the playoffs)

31Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:05 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
A vet in the AHL will absolutely have a little more success than a guy like Lehner because the game is different and he knows how to play it. Lehner plays well when there is some structure in the game, where players know what they are doing and what their jobs actually are.

Like I said, give Lehner a team that he trusts and see where it goes. He's shown what he can do when he trust his D and the player sin front of him does his job.

You're correct but it'd be more impressive if he could play better despite the awful team in front of him. Getting that kind of experience would be useful. For all the Lehner hype, it's a bit disappointing we have to make excuses for him.

Like I said Emery played in Bingo for 3 years, why can't Lehner ?

32Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
NEELY wrote:

You're correct but it'd be more impressive if he could play better despite the awful team in front of him. Getting that kind of experience would be useful. For all the Lehner hype, it's a bit disappointing we have to make excuses for him.

Like I said Emery played in Bingo for 3 years, why can't Lehner ?

It's a lost cause. Nobody wants to blame Lehner for his own poor play. Having said that, I do agree that a better calibre of hockey might help him.

My own son had a terrible year of Major Midget (House League) Hockey and only let in 1 goal in 2 days of Junior B tryouts and no goals on 17 shots in 1 period of Exhibition.

33Ottawa without Mr. Anderson - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa without Mr. Anderson Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:11 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:Ray Emery had no problem playing for Bingo for 3 years and he's the most Dung insane goalie to enter the NHL in the last 10 years.

Most experts you'll ask will tell you that numbers for a goalie on an AHL team are basically useless.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum