GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day: Sens @ Ducks, Saturday, January 21, 2012 @ 4PM

+15
beerandsens
LethalLehner
NEELY
KidKarlsson
sandysensfan
PTFlea
wprager
spader
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
rooneypoo
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
SensHulk
Riprock
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

ian_mendes Ian Mendes
Refs informed Erik Karlsson that he is a diver - hence no call late in game. MacLean is furious with that label.

I'd be furious, too. He's a lightweight, sure. But a dive?

Also, did a referee just admit that he did not make a tripping call *solely* because of the reputation of the player? He did not assess the play on the merits of the play itself?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
wprager wrote:
spader wrote:2-1 final. Not the Sens best game. Ducks played well. Anderson was huge as he kept the Sens in the game late.

Could be jet lag caught up to them, or the "late" afternoon game (it was still 4PM for them), or maybe they were enjoying the warm weather a bit too much, or that Smith and Daugavins were not 100% (plus maybe a few others).

Bottom line, they played a very hot Anaheim team (6-0-1 in their last 7), were sluggish at the start, and it took a fluke goal to beat them.

Regroup, rest up, play better in LA.

I thought they started well, but sagged in the second period. The Ducks blocked a ton of shots, but the Sens put a lot of pucks at the net.

Hopefully, they use this loss to drive them forward against the Kings.

Both teams were very slow in the 1st.

On the bright side, Andy didn't have to face 30+ shots for the first time in a while. Only 29.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I missed it at the time, but how was that call on Condra with 5 minutes to go? Was his trip worse than the one that didn't get called on Karlsson?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

MacLean after the game:

https://vr.shapeservices.com/listen.php?hash=41e28b51242d34b24b66c7b28958cf41d5a19dd692cec97eb

He discusses how the ref said Karlsson was a diver and that's why there was no call. Man, I hope he doesn't get in trouble for that, because that's twice now that he's complained about the refereeing. On the other hand, if the ref really said that then it's got to be an indictment against him, not the coach. To say "I did not call tripping because the player is a diver" is pretty much admitting that he doesn't rely on his eyes and his ability to remember, understand and interpret the rules in order to call the game.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Karlsson a diver? Holy moly... that is reaching... will be interesting to see what PMac does with that.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

22 blocked shots by ANA. Wow.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, we *consistently* get outblocked.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:MacLean after the game:

https://vr.shapeservices.com/listen.php?hash=41e28b51242d34b24b66c7b28958cf41d5a19dd692cec97eb

He discusses how the ref said Karlsson was a diver and that's why there was no call. Man, I hope he doesn't get in trouble for that, because that's twice now that he's complained about the refereeing. On the other hand, if the ref really said that then it's got to be an indictment against him, not the coach. To say "I did not call tripping because the player is a diver" is pretty much admitting that he doesn't rely on his eyes and his ability to remember, understand and interpret the rules in order to call the game.

It'll get tacked on to the end of Clouston's sentence.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Yeah, we *consistently* get outblocked.
Volchie back to the Sens.

Final piece of the puzzle...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

That Cussing idiot ref that said Karlsson's a diver and didn't call the penalty cost us a point IMO. Idiot.

Thought the boys played really well against that trap. I was impressed at their perseverance - although Spezza didn't have a great game and Michalek was off a bit.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Wow....I guess the refs really are against the sens.

Thought their powerplay looked fantastic but Hiller was on the mark today. Damn that trap. They looked tired in the 2nd but that's expected. Forget this game and concentrate on the kings

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:That Cussing idiot ref that said Karlsson's a diver and didn't call the penalty cost us a point IMO. Idiot.

Thought the boys played really well against that trap. I was impressed at their perseverance - although Spezza didn't have a great game and Michalek was off a bit.

I wonder if it was the same ref who called Michalek for closing his hand on the puck. I'm still upset about that one because, at the very least, there should have been a cross-checking call as well. I still remember when Desjardins was shoved teeth first into the cross bar by Roenick and was afraid Michalek was headed for the same fate. You've got to call dangerous plays like this whether there's injury or not. It's in the friggin' rulebook anyway.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:That Cussing idiot ref that said Karlsson's a diver and didn't call the penalty cost us a point IMO. Idiot.

I wonder if it was the same ref who called Michalek for closing his hand on the puck. I'm still upset about that one because, at the very least, there should have been a cross-checking call as well. I still remember when Desjardins was shoved teeth first into the cross bar by Roenick and was afraid Michalek was headed for the same fate. You've got to call dangerous plays like this whether there's injury or not. It's in the friggin' rulebook anyway.

Diddle yeah, that was another one where I was yelling for a penalty to Ryan. The Karlsson non-call was horrible though...blatantly wrong call. Oh well...

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Sometimes they go the other way....we had some calls go our way (like the spezza goal from tuesday).

I thought Cowen played great today.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

yeah that 4 player trap was crazy in the late third.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

On the Karlsson non-call the stick hit him around the thigh aea. It wasn't really a trip -- I think he stumbled because he tried to jump over the stick-check. But it's still a stick parallel to the ice, from behind, aimed at slowing him down. It is usually a hook. Perhaps because the stick was not at the ankles the ref thought he was diving, but since he only stumbled and didn't full out fall down I thought it would have been obvious.

In any case, I don't want to blame the loss on the refs but I'm pissed off that they are saying Karlsson is a diver, and that a shove from behind into the crossbar is considered more important than having the puck in your hand for a half-second instead of a split-second.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:Sometimes they go the other way....we had some calls go our way (like the spezza goal from tuesday).

Yeah. Cowen had another solid game. His awareness and puck management are already stellar.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:Sometimes they go the other way....we had some calls go our way (like the spezza goal from tuesday).

It was *precisely* because of the non-call on Spezza that I didn't want to bring up the missed interference on Anderson on the second goal. If Perry doesn't skate into Andy (who was in the crease) perhaps he stops the puck instead of giving up a rebound in the air.

Last edited by wprager on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum