GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day: Sens @ Ducks, Saturday, January 21, 2012 @ 4PM

+15
beerandsens
LethalLehner
NEELY
KidKarlsson
sandysensfan
PTFlea
wprager
spader
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
rooneypoo
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
SensHulk
Riprock
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 9]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Go ahead and move on, but a small correction.

I wasn't questioning whether Karlsson played it with his stick or his puck. Of course he played it with his stick. I only wondered whether he played it with his stick *because* of the earlier penalty called on Michalek. Maybe not. Probably not, but who knows.

And as for Michalek not getting cross checked, watch it again. He gets shoved from behind -- not a hockey play. You're too young, obviously, but I remember Desjardins get drilled from behind by Roenick, losing all his front teeth on the coss bar. I want those kinds of plays out of the game.

And he didn't go for a skate with the puck. He grabbed it out of the air and was going to try and toss it in the corner when he got drilled. Did he do a volleyball-like spike on it? Of course not, but the rule book does not require that.

In the opinion of the referee he took longer than the unspecified time mentioned in the rule book. Fine, I may disagree, but I'm not the ref. What I'm upset with was that a dangerous play went unpunished at the same time.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:On the Karlsson non-call the stick hit him around the thigh aea. It wasn't really a trip -- I think he stumbled because he tried to jump over the stick-check. But it's still a stick parallel to the ice, from behind, aimed at slowing him down. It is usually a hook. Perhaps because the stick was not at the ankles the ref thought he was diving, but since he only stumbled and didn't full out fall down I thought it would have been obvious.

In any case, I don't want to blame the loss on the refs but I'm pissed off that they are saying Karlsson is a diver, and that a shove from behind into the crossbar is considered more important than having the puck in your hand for a half-second instead of a split-second.

The ref should review the play after the game.. and apologize for calling Karlsson a diver... What a crock.

How bad do you think it will now get for the Sens. The refs will be pissed off that McLean outed O'Rourke for calling Karlsson a diver.

Want to make a bet no PP's for Ottawa the next couple of games.. but instead a parade of Sens players to the penalty box?

Will McLean get fined?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Unfortunately this is not the first time MacLean has done that. I haven't listened to many of his post-game conferences, but this is the second time I remember him using the phrase "I wish our guys had the same opportunities". It was very clear what he meant (actually more clear the first time I heard it). This is in addition to calling the ref (I don't think he mentioned names) out on calling Karlsson a diver.

Mendes has a short blog up going over all of Karlsson's penalties to see how many times he got called for diving. *Once* It was against Buffalo and he was so incensed about it that he argued the call and ended up with an unsportsmanlike as well. *Usually* -- not always, but usually, when a player complains that much it's because he is really, really sure that he wasn't diving.

Thursday night Karlsson got an elbow in the nose from Marleau, with the ref standing about 10 feet away. There was no call even though you could clearly see that the ref was looking right at him. One of the two refs from the San Jose game was working the Anaheim game (not O'Rourke, though) so it makes you wonder if the two refs got together before the game.

Neither one of the four refs involved in the last two games were officiating the Buffalo game where Karlsson got his only diving penalty.

Here's Mendes' blog: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/01/22/mendes_diving/

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I think all referees communicate regardless whether they worked the game or not.

I imagine after the Buffalo incident(or maybe some other incident where he was not called -- the diving penalty is rarely assessed) the refs all decided he's a diver. Refs don't like divers, they make them look bad.

If there's any doubt I imagine they just assume it's a dive and they don't call it, especially if it's in the final minutes of a close game.

That's going to be tough, I think team's already get away with a fair bit on him.

Although MacLean is correct, I really wish he wouldn't bring this up. We got away with a goal in Toronto and this team is one of the most penalized in the NHL. We don't need the zebras on our case anymore than they already are.

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Hoags wrote:I think all referees communicate regardless whether they worked the game or not.

I imagine after the Buffalo incident(or maybe some other incident where he was not called -- the diving penalty is rarely assessed) the refs all decided he's a diver. Refs don't like divers, they make them look bad.

If there's any doubt I imagine they just assume it's a dive and they don't call it, especially if it's in the final minutes of a close game.

That's going to be tough, I think team's already get away with a fair bit on him.

Although MacLean is correct, I really wish he wouldn't bring this up. We got away with a goal in Toronto and this team is one of the most penalized in the NHL. We don't need the zebras on our case anymore than they already are.

IF the refs deliberately do not call penalties on players that hook, trip, elbow in face (must have been fake blood) on Karlsson - then the game is not being called fairly... which makes me really question their integrity.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Although MacLean is correct, I really wish he wouldn't bring this up. We got away with a goal in Toronto and this team is one of the most penalized in the NHL. We don't need the zebras on our case anymore than they already are.

They will always be on our case. No way around it. He might as well say what he wants to say because keeping quiet won't help anyway.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

The Sens have been getting the shaft from the refs since their inception. Jason Smith got a Cussing triple minor once. How is Maclean taking them to task going to make it worse? It sounds like a joke to say that all refs are from the 416 or 905 area code, but it pretty accurately reflects the situation.

As for the discussion at hand, no that wasn't a trip, nor was it a dive. Could it have been called? Sure...
Also, was Michalek cross-checked? How can you argue otherwise? It was a terrible call. I was shocked when I saw it, but nothing should shock Sens fans when it comes to NHL reffing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

cash wrote:The Sens have been getting the shaft from the refs since their inception. Jason Smith got a Cussing triple minor once. How is Maclean taking them to task going to make it worse? It sounds like a joke to say that all refs are from the 416 or 905 area code, but it pretty accurately reflects the situation.

As for the discussion at hand, no that wasn't a trip, nor was it a dive. Could it have been called? Sure...
Also, was Michalek cross-checked? How can you argue otherwise? It was a terrible call. I was shocked when I saw it, but nothing should shock Sens fans when it comes to NHL reffing.

I think that's the kind of play that in the 1st period is called a hook and makes you cringe. I'm fine with it not being a penalty. I'm not OK with the "diver" label.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum