GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Game Day - Senators @ Oilers, 9:30PM, Thursday, November 17, 2011

+11
Flo The Action
Riprock
spader
sandysensfan
wprager
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
tim1_2
PTFlea
NEELY
Ev
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:Yeah, strange tail end to this trip. Lots of days in between Van and Pitt. But that will be good coming back from the Western travel.

You can almost gaurantee Auld starts on Sunday. Can't leave him out too long. Also, it's his former team.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:Yeah, strange tail end to this trip. Lots of days in between Van and Pitt. But that will be good coming back from the Western travel.

You can almost gaurantee Auld starts on Sunday. Can't leave him out too long. Also, it's his former team.
Good point... or maybe save him for Carolina... but that is a ways away...

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I would kinda doubt we see Auld on Sunday. Anderson's been playing pretty well and the team's been winning. MacStache has shown he doesn't really like to mess with success (see: Rundblad, David). Plus we'll need all the goaltending we can get against the Sedin sisters.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Really impressed and liking Brian Lee right now as well. In all honesty, at this point I think it might be pretty dumb to trade him. He's a legit NHLer at this point and blueline depth is what every team kills for. Ottawa has that depth. There were a few plays last night he made and you were forced to say "that's how a pro does it". Couple break out passes, could plays along the boards, just a solid, solid game. Simple and solid.

I think Carkner is in tough to get back into that lineup, hell, I think Rundblad is in tough now as well. As much as I think the AHL is a step backwards for Rundblad he will actually have to play at some point.

Anyways, good problem to have. Look at Vancouver last year, they were carrying 8 D men for a lot of the season. Injuries happen, bodies get banged up, so on. Just really hope they don't trade Lee because after Gonchar is gone they don't really have anyone to play the right side who plays a shutdown role. (yes Gonhcar actually plays that role a lot of nights).

Dammit! that's what I have been saying and you said he was worthless and nobody would want him. At least you changed your mind when presented with evidence.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, the Canucks/Sens game should be on Saturday, for HNIC, but I am surprised that it's also at 9pm ET. On a Sunday, they could have a matinee game.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Dash wrote:
NEELY wrote:Really impressed and liking Brian Lee right now as well. In all honesty, at this point I think it might be pretty dumb to trade him. He's a legit NHLer at this point and blueline depth is what every team kills for. Ottawa has that depth. There were a few plays last night he made and you were forced to say "that's how a pro does it". Couple break out passes, could plays along the boards, just a solid, solid game. Simple and solid.

I think Carkner is in tough to get back into that lineup, hell, I think Rundblad is in tough now as well. As much as I think the AHL is a step backwards for Rundblad he will actually have to play at some point.

Anyways, good problem to have. Look at Vancouver last year, they were carrying 8 D men for a lot of the season. Injuries happen, bodies get banged up, so on. Just really hope they don't trade Lee because after Gonchar is gone they don't really have anyone to play the right side who plays a shutdown role. (yes Gonhcar actually plays that role a lot of nights).

Dammit! that's what I have been saying and you said he was worthless and nobody would want him. At least you changed your mind when presented with evidence.

A guy who is being scratched game after game who has a 1 way deal was not going to be picked up in a trade and probably would have made it through waivers. A player not playing is hard to get rid of.

I have also said he has the potential to be a really good shut down D man and I've always maintianed that. Saying this guy is bringing something that a lot of other players can't or don't though is wrong as well.

It comes down to what he does with his opportunities and from Dec last year on to now he has made the best of it. Truth be told and I've said this pretty close to 100 times, Lee has never looked better than when he is paired with Cowen. I noticed it 2 years ago in a pre-season game vs Montreal and I am 100% convinced if things work out for Lee in Ottawa, that's the pairing that teams will have fits against for the next 5-10 years.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
shabbs wrote:
NEELY wrote:

I would kinda doubt we see Auld on Sunday. Anderson's been playing pretty well and the team's been winning. MacStache has shown he doesn't really like to mess with success (see: Rundblad, David). Plus we'll need all the goaltending we can get against the Sedin sisters.

You can't have your backup on the bench for a month straight. There is less pressure on the road, they have a huge break after this, and Anderson has played a ton in the last month. This would give Anderson over a weeks rest. For a guy on pace to play over 70 games, getting 7 days of off time could be huge come MArch and April when they are pushing for that spot.

Sunday, away, after going 3-1 on the road is the perfect time to start Auld.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
You can't have your backup on the bench for a month straight. There is less pressure on the road, they have a huge break after this, and Anderson has played a ton in the last month. This would give Anderson over a weeks rest. For a guy on pace to play over 70 games, getting 7 days of off time could be huge come MArch and April when they are pushing for that spot.

You can have your backup on the bench for as long as you want. He's a backup. When a goalie is playing well, coaches tend to keep them playing. These games aren't back-to-back either. I would expect to see Anderson in net on Sunday, as he gives us the best chance of winning. Especially since they have another few days before they play Pittsburgh.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Auld did see action vs Buffalo... played pretty much the whole game after Anderson got yanked after 2 mins. So it's not like he's been sitting for a month.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:
NEELY wrote:

You can have your backup on the bench for as long as you want. He's a backup. When a goalie is playing well, coaches tend to keep them playing. These games aren't back-to-back either. I would expect to see Anderson in net on Sunday, as he gives us the best chance of winning. Especially since they have another few days before they play Pittsburgh.

That's totally wrong. A backup needs to get in here and there. You need him to be somewhat fresh. I also forgot he played the whole game vs Buffalo. That does make a difference.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Auld's a pro and knows how to handle the backup role. He can sit on the bench Sunday. Why would you use your backup against the toughest Western Canada team when you just played the two weaker ones, especially when you get a bunch of days off afterwards, so it's not like Anderson won't be getting rested anyways.

Let's place money on this.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Does it have anything to do with Vancouver being Auld's former team?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:Does it have anything to do with Vancouver being Auld's former team?

No. Half the league is Auld's former team. It has everything to do with wanting to WIN.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

tim1_2 wrote:Auld's a pro and knows how to handle the backup role. He can sit on the bench Sunday. Why would you use your backup against the toughest Western Canada team when you just played the two weaker ones, especially when you get a bunch of days off afterwards, so it's not like Anderson won't be getting rested anyways.

Let's place money on this.

Forgot he played most of the game vs Buffalo so what I was saying goes out the window.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

It was more so towards those in favour of playing Auld.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

no chance Auld starts Sunday

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Auld won't start until at least the game in Winnipeg on the 29th.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I still am really impressed by Z.Smith, Condra, Daugavins, Winchester and Lee. I thought everyone played well for the most part, but these 5 guys are playing their roles to a T - and if they can continue, especially with Z.Smith not taking silly penalties as much and Neil coming back soon enough, we have such a rock solid bottom 6, it's not even funny.

It gives the top 2 lines so much more wiggle room when you have a 3rd line playing like a grinding 2nd line and chipping in offensively and Lee's play makes me think that Rundblad will be sent to the AHL for a while.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum