GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Final guess on Zibanejad: SEL or NHL/AHL?

+18
Riprock
wprager
spader
stempniaksen
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
SDH89
sandysensfan
shabbs
Flo The Action
dennycrane
rooneypoo
SensGirl11
Hoags
tim1_2
Ev
NEELY
PTFlea
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The best career move is to send Mika to the AHL. His skills won't progress in the right way in the SEL. Put him on North American ice against less talented players. He'll get top-six minutes in Bingo and he can develop like the rest of our prospects.

I'm sure Lehner wouldn't mind having another young Swede down there either.

Did Mats Sundin and Nick Bakctrom's skills not process in the SEL?

SEL is a better choice than Binghamton.

You're basing that on what?

It's a better league. He wouldn't have to ride buses. He would be far more comfortable and close to his family.

SteffeG would back you up there for sure.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:The best career move is to send Mika to the AHL. His skills won't progress in the right way in the SEL. Put him on North American ice against less talented players. He'll get top-six minutes in Bingo and he can develop like the rest of our prospects.

I'm sure Lehner wouldn't mind having another young Swede down there either.

Did Mats Sundin and Nick Bakctrom's skills not process in the SEL?

SEL is a better choice than Binghamton.

You're basing that on what?

It's a better league. He wouldn't have to ride buses. He would be far more comfortable and close to his family.

That's an opinion. So what. Agree but comfort isn't always the best thing for players either, don't know if that's the case with Zibanejad or not.

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:He can't go to the AHL as far as we know due to the SEL contract and the NHL's player transfer agreement. It's either NHL or SEL. If the AHL was an option, we would not be having this conversation.

But once his ELC has kicked in (game 10) then he is NHL-property so the Sens should be able to do what they wish with him, such as send him to Bingo and call up as they wish. The cost of that is he is one year closer to RFA, versus the inability to have him up here until his SEL season is over (and maybe for the entire year). Having him here lets us oversee his development (either in the NHL or AHL), have him called up whenever we want, get him in on the Calder Cup playoff run (hopefully).

All that, and he's got Alfie here for this year and maybe not the next.
Have we confirmed that?

It was confirmed by Dean Brown today on the radio. According to Murray once his ELC has kicked in he can be sent to Bingo. The question is why would you burn a year of his ELC playing him in the AHL. In this case it would be better. Yes you lose a year of his ELC, but that year you lose would give him a years worth of experience in a league similar in playing style to the NHL, which would be far better than the experience he would get in the SEL.

He would grow in the SEL, I'm not arguing that. But he needs to learn how to play a NA game on small ice under pressure, and he won't get that experience in the SEL.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the confirmation 22. Good to know.

To burn or not to burn... that is the question.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

22_4_ever wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:He can't go to the AHL as far as we know due to the SEL contract and the NHL's player transfer agreement. It's either NHL or SEL. If the AHL was an option, we would not be having this conversation.

But once his ELC has kicked in (game 10) then he is NHL-property so the Sens should be able to do what they wish with him, such as send him to Bingo and call up as they wish. The cost of that is he is one year closer to RFA, versus the inability to have him up here until his SEL season is over (and maybe for the entire year). Having him here lets us oversee his development (either in the NHL or AHL), have him called up whenever we want, get him in on the Calder Cup playoff run (hopefully).

All that, and he's got Alfie here for this year and maybe not the next.
Have we confirmed that?

It was confirmed by Dean Brown today on the radio. According to Murray once his ELC has kicked in he can be sent to Bingo. The question is why would you burn a year of his ELC playing him in the AHL. In this case it would be better. Yes you lose a year of his ELC, but that year you lose would give him a years worth of experience in a league similar in playing style to the NHL, which would be far better than the experience he would get in the SEL.

He would grow in the SEL, I'm not arguing that. But he needs to learn how to play a NA game on small ice under pressure, and he won't get that experience in the SEL.

Copy and paste.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

NEELY wrote:
Copy and paste.

yep,

Pretty much.

The question was whether it was confirmed, and I stated what Dean Brown had said, which was pretty much a copy of above. I agree with you Neely, the benefits of having him play in the AHL are far greater than playing in the SEL. In both he'll grow, but which one will he grown in the areas he needs.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

He's going to Sweden per Ken Warren

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I mentioned this already, but I'd definitely prefer him to be kept around just so they can send him to the AHL. Still a pro league AND they can still send him to world jrs. Best of both worlds. On top of all that, he can still get games in the NHL (to justify burning his first year of ELC) and partake hopefully in Bingo playoffs. lehner and Petersson are down there too, so I'm sure he won't be too homesick

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Back to Sweden. CONFIRMED.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:He's going to Sweden per Ken Warren

Fark. Well that settles that. They didn't wanna burn that 1st year when all was said and done.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Bryan murray says decision based on long term development .... They want him to have puck, score points
"He was playing to survive and not make mistakes." - Murray
"This is the right step for him at this moment." - Murray on Zibanejad going back to Sweden.
Alfredsson agreed with the call.

Good move :KKK:

NEELY

Mod
Mod

They kept their word I guess. Well, I definatly trust Murray so this is probably what's best. Hopefully he comes back next year and is a total beast. WJC is going to be awesome now though.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:

Fark. Well that settles that. They didn't wanna burn that 1st year when all was said and done.

I doubt that was the issue. He probably shot down any notion of playing in Bingo. Rundblad-style.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Michallica wrote:

Who knows...

Murray has proved to be a GM who tries when all possible to keep his word. It's possible they wanted to send him to the AHL, but if Murray did promise him it was the NHL or back to the SEL, then he may have decided to keep that, despite what he wanted to do.

Let's face it, neither is a bad option. I just thought and still do, he would have been better to learn in the AHL than in the SEL

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:
Bryan murray says decision based on long term development .... They want him to have puck, score points
"He was playing to survive and not make mistakes." - Murray
"This is the right step for him at this moment." - Murray on Zibanejad going back to Sweden.
Alfredsson agreed with the call.

Good move :KKK:

That's the part I agree with the most.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

22_4_ever wrote:
Michallica wrote:

Who knows...

Murray has proved to be a GM who tries when all possible to keep his word. It's possible they wanted to send him to the AHL, but if Murray did promise him it was the NHL or back to the SEL, then he may have decided to keep that, despite what he wanted to do.

Let's face it, neither is a bad option. I just thought and still do, he would have been better to learn in the AHL than in the SEL

He honestly is probably too young to be in the AHL if that makes sense.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Do what's best for long term development. I'm glad they made this decision.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Maybe now they can start giving DaCosta some better linemates?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum