GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Final guess on Zibanejad: SEL or NHL/AHL?

+18
Riprock
wprager
spader
stempniaksen
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
SDH89
sandysensfan
shabbs
Flo The Action
dennycrane
rooneypoo
SensGirl11
Hoags
tim1_2
Ev
NEELY
PTFlea
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:Should have been SEL a while back, but its going to be NHL. But the advantage will be sending him to the AHL. KK will improve him AND I think if at the time he's still in the AHL, they could still send him to the World Jrs. (a la Lehner)

EDIT: Caps also did that with Carlson. Its not a bad idea even though you gotta burn year 1 of the ELC

Yeah, this is something I can buy into in a big way. So what if we burn a year in the grand scheme of things, we're trying to put together a team here, and Z-Bad will be an integral part of that team.

If he goes back to the SEL, it's certainly not the end of the world, he's worked here on small surfaces, he's gotten a taste of the league, the speed, the physicality needed etc., so he can go down to the SEL and focus on being creative with the puck, something he's not at all right now.

If he stays here, he can stay in Ottawa until January, go down to the AHL with a list of things to work on, work on them with one of the very best coaches for developing talent and come back towards the end of the year or even next year and be even more prepared to start his NHL career.

I see this as a win-win, because we've seen a glimpse of what he has to offer - and it's very exciting.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:I think they're playing with fire, I'm not sure how well he'll develop at 18y old on a team that's going to get blown out and embarrassed on most nights. Not to mention having him deal with the media all year and their loaded questions ( whether he should have gone back etc.)

Just because the team sucks and has no #2C doesn't mean they should stick him in.

It's not like the SEL is some bush league, didn't hurt Alfie to stay there til he was 24, nor Silfverberg nor any of the countless Swedish prospects who stayed in Sweden for a while.

Having him play in the WJC would be good too.

He can still play in the WJC. And we're not gonna be embarrassed most nights, we're probably going to lose, but why do you think we'll be embarrassed while doing it? Mac seems to have an idea of what he wants, we need to be patient with the system and players.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Let him play first line minutes with Djurgarden, then he can be the #2 C next year when there are not other options.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Sweden is basically North America, and he has family from the US.

Jesus. Christ. Facepalm

Yah, that was my first thought as well.

I've been over to Finland and Sweden, it's nothing like Canada or NA other than the landscape.

You're forgetting the language. Almost every Swede knows English.

The cultures are totally different. Yah, they can get by easier then some refugee from Samolia but to say it is basically the same as NA, it isn't even close.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:I think they're playing with fire, I'm not sure how well he'll develop at 18y old on a team that's going to get blown out and embarrassed on most nights. Not to mention having him deal with the media all year and their loaded questions ( whether he should have gone back etc.)

Just because the team sucks and has no #2C doesn't mean they should stick him in.

It's not like the SEL is some bush league, didn't hurt Alfie to stay there til he was 24, nor Silfverberg nor any of the countless Swedish prospects who stayed in Sweden for a while.

Burmistrov is the example I think I am going to use. Didn't have a great rookie season by any means, struggled at times along with the Thrashers but this year he looks so much more comfortable and confident because of his year last season.

Just because he doesn't produce right away or isn't consistant every night doesn't mean he isn't learning and developing the correct way.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think fans want him to stick around because they can watch him up close. He basically hasn't demonstrated that he's a Top 6 NHL forward right now. I hope they either send him to the SEL or straight to Bingo if they retain him.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
And we're not gonna be embarrassed most nights, we're probably going to lose, but why do you think we'll be embarrassed while doing it? Mac seems to have an idea of what he wants, we need to be patient with the system and players.

This team is outclassed in pretty much every department.

D-man corps mostly made up of offensive d-men for whom defence has never been a speciality. Two full-blown rookies in Cowen and Rundblad.

We don't even have a 2nd line, Alfie and Regin are injured.

Anderson is not bad but he's not sharp at all. Maybe Goldman was right, now that he has a contract and guaranteed #1 starter status, he has little reason to push himself to that elite level he's shown in Colorado and last season in Ottawa.

NEELY wrote:
Burmistrov is the example I think I am going to use. Didn't have a great rookie season by any means, struggled at times along with the Thrashers but this year he looks so much more comfortable and confident because of his year last season.
Just because he doesn't produce right away or isn't consistant every night doesn't mean he isn't learning and developing the correct way.

For every Burmistrov there's a Brule or James Sheppard etc. How do we know he'll prosper here ? the odds aren't good. Why take the risk ? He looks physically capable but he's playing timid and scared out there.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

He can still play in the WJC. And we're not gonna be embarrassed most nights, we're probably going to lose, but why do you think we'll be embarrassed while doing it? Mac seems to have an idea of what he wants, we need to be patient with the system and players.

I think the embarassment is going to get worse this year before it gets better. The Sens have been embarassed twice and two other losses saw them down by 4 or 5 after 2. Their schedule has not been difficult yet. Next month sees only 4 or 5 home games.

Send him back. If you need an extra forward, there are waivers and players that can be had for nothing. Don't forget Filatov will be back, for good, soon enough.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Big Ev wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Jesus. Christ. Facepalm

I've been over to Finland and Sweden, it's nothing like Canada or NA other than the landscape.

They speak English in New Zealand... so, is New Zealand basically North America too?

Wink

Is Britain not close to Canada in terms of culture? Yes.
You didn't answer my question.

To answer yours, I'd say Canada and Britain have quite different culture's. They are linked by history and the Commonwealth etc... but their culture's are quite unique and diverse. Not sure what that has to do with your geographic bastardization that Sweden is basically North America because a lot of Swedes speak English. Mind boggling.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Again go ask Swedes who have literally said that Sweden is basically shifting towards being an American nation.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:
I think the embarassment is going to get worse this year before it gets better. The Sens have been embarassed twice and two other losses saw them down by 4 or 5 after 2. Their schedule has not been difficult yet. Next month sees only 4 or 5 home games.

Send him back. If you need an extra forward, there are waivers and players that can be had for nothing. Don't forget Filatov will be back, for good, soon enough.

I don 't think you'll see this team embarrassed the way it was. Anderson needs to be on top of his game for it not to happen, but he's gone through enough in his career to buoy the ship a bit.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Jesus. Christ. Facepalm

They speak English in New Zealand... so, is New Zealand basically North America too?

Wink

actually I think I'm in a position to answer for all this talk quite well. I lived 5 years in london england in my early 20's and have spent about 2 weeks wondering around stockholm. I think there's two sides to what has been said.
I think in some ways stockholm was closer in terms of friendliness and attitude of the people to say canada then the the states. generally people are warmer in sweden and canada then as soon as we go down the border. american as a whole are really obnoxious. englans is actually much more obnoxious and agressive then sweden and canada.

as far as culture goes well sweden has a ridiculously high standard of living but it's westernized yes. i'd say 75% of swedes speak english better then people in montreal. Not sure in what city he'd be playing but once you leave the major urban center (stockholm, gottenburg and Malmo, there is a drop off.)

I think the important thing that should be looked at in his development tho shouldn't be where he is more comfortable in which environment but in which Hockey environment. the exception to this would be how mentally ready he is to be far away from family and friends. some youngsters need that comfort level at 18 and it can reflect in the emotional comfort level.

now with the hockey. maybe he needs the space that the SEL can offer him to develop his offensive side of the game there. there is a difference in the physicality the game is played here. it's a big jump and it may be why we are seeing his game jump from what we saw in the pre-season. it's hardcore out there. he could be overwhelmed. the same way we decided to keep Cowen in the juniors so he would round out and not just focus on his defensive aspect of his game the more i think he might benefit from time spent back home.
too many signs point to the fact he's just not quite there yet. why rush things and take the chance to ruin his development?
send the boy back I say.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

NHL

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SEL

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
NEELY wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Jesus. Christ. Facepalm

Wink

actually I think I'm in a position to answer for all this talk quite well. I lived 5 years in london england in my early 20's and have spent about 2 weeks wondering around stockholm. I think there's two sides to what has been said.
I think in some ways stockholm was closer in terms of friendliness and attitude of the people to say canada then the the states. generally people are warmer in sweden and canada then as soon as we go down the border. american as a whole are really obnoxious. englans is actually much more obnoxious and agressive then sweden and canada.

as far as culture goes well sweden has a ridiculously high standard of living but it's westernized yes. i'd say 75% of swedes speak english better then people in montreal. Not sure in what city he'd be playing but once you leave the major urban center (stockholm, gottenburg and Malmo, there is a drop off.)

I think the important thing that should be looked at in his development tho shouldn't be where he is more comfortable in which environment but in which Hockey environment. the exception to this would be how mentally ready he is to be far away from family and friends. some youngsters need that comfort level at 18 and it can reflect in the emotional comfort level.

now with the hockey. maybe he needs the space that the SEL can offer him to develop his offensive side of the game there. there is a difference in the physicality the game is played here. it's a big jump and it may be why we are seeing his game jump from what we saw in the pre-season. it's hardcore out there. he could be overwhelmed. the same way we decided to keep Cowen in the juniors so he would round out and not just focus on his defensive aspect of his game the more i think he might benefit from time spent back home.
too many signs point to the fact he's just not quite there yet. why rush things and take the chance to ruin his development?
send the boy back I say.

His team is located in Stockholm. Djurgårdens IF Stockholm.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is "IF" Swedish for "is"?

Hey, weren't you the one offering to buy someone a spellchecker for Christmas? Sarcasm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

No, the team is called Djurgardens IF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djurg%C3%A5rdens_IF_Hockey

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Dash wrote:No, the team is called Djurgardens IF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djurg%C3%A5rdens_IF_Hockey

Aw, dang, but my joke would have been so clever if it was a typo. Dammit!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum