GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Big Green Egg -- general information, benefits, recipes, stories

+8
tim1_2
spader
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
TheAvatar
Number Twenty Nine
wprager
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

TheAvatar wrote:See, that's what I did with mine but I was hoping to make "smoked meat". I was told that to make smoked meat, you needed to pre-treat the brisket.

for smoked meat ala Montreal, you need to cure it in the fridge for a week at least. That's my next task after I've done one Texas style successfully.

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

TheAvatar wrote:Oh #29. Keep an eye on those sales you were telling me about (they never go on sale here); I might be in the market for a medium.

For example: At the local Eggfest, they are selling the used once Eggs: Large $700 XL $950 I'm getting one of those next year or an end of summer one this year.

I'd sell you my medium, but my wife would shoot me since it was a gift from her.....

If you're in Ottawa, I'd phone all the dealers close to Watertown, NY and see if they run end of season specials. My wife got mine as an end of season in Cornwall (she didn't know any better). The mediums are not as popular, so they tend to linger at the end of the season.

The Medium is perfect for a family of 4. - especially for grilling.

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

This is not specific to the green egg but it appears interesting.

http://www.mrbbq.ca/2010/01/smoked-meat-pastrami-beef-brisket.html

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

My first Texas style brisket finished this morning....

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Did you make a vide of when you cut into it? I'd like to see that. Also, if you get a chance, I'd like to have a look at the guru apparatus. !!! Looks yummy

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

No, its still resting in the cooler..... If I remember, I will.

Lots of videos for the Guru on Youtube.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

wires and more wires hanging out

resting in the cooler

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

It was mighty tasty!!

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

This looks MUCH better than the one I made; mine was dry.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I'm making Osso buco in the big green egg right now; felt like eating it but why would I turn on the oven; that's what people need to understand about the egg; it's expensive but you can think of it as an outside oven.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I NEED a bigger one. A medium is ok, but too small for brisket/pulled pork etc.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

When you have time, can you put down the play-by-play? How big was the piece of meat, what did you do to it before, how long did you have it on and at what temperature; what did you do to it after (how long did you leave it in the cooler) and anything else ... it looks so frickin' good.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

#29 Brisket

1. get a whole packer brisket - not just the flat - and trim the fat layer down to 1/4". You'll cut off 2-4 lbs of fat
2. season with your favorite rub - I used Bone Dust recipe modified - lots and lots of rub
3. sit in fridge for 2 days with the rub. wrapped in platic
4. get egg ready for low and slow
5. light for low and slow - throw your presoaked chips/chunks - I used hickory, cherry and apple - in the egg
6. install the platesetter upside down with legs up.
7. put a large drip pan 1/2 filled with hot water on the flat of the plate setter.
8. put the grill on top of the plate setter legs
9. place the brisket straight out of the fridge fate side up on the grill
10. maintain 225 degrees until the inside temp of the brisket at the thickest side is 185 degrees - will take 12 + hours depending on brisket size
11. get your cooler ready by preheating it with hot water
12. when the brisket is done, doublewrap it in foil and place it in the cooler wrapped in old towels ( I used a moving blanket)
13. let the brisket rest at least an hour, but serve before inside temp reaches 145 degrees.

I devised the above method via Youtube/Google

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

you don't need a BBQ guru if you're going to supervise the egg, but you need an electronic Polder at the very least (the one in the cooler video)

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

My father-in-law has a Big Green Egg. It produces wonderful food, with that nice smokey charcoal flavour. I wanted a charcoal grill to replace my gas grill, and ended up buying this from Home Depot (the price was a lot easier to swallow than the Green Egg price):

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/weber-performer-black/909220

The Weber Performer is generally acknowledged as the 2nd best general-purpose charcoal grill behind the Egg. I have been using it for a month or so now and it's great. I love the gas ignition for my lump charcoal (lump is the only way to go).

Anyways, I've made beer-can chicken, burgers, sausages, and steak, all with terrific results. Ribs are next up. Can't beat the flavour, especially when you toss some wood chips on the charcoal.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I saw these guys at Costco, price was about $500, what do BGE owners think? http://www.beso.com/kamado-smoker-grill/search?rf=gbn

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I saw them at the store and asked the sales man (who was a long time BGE user). He said they weren't as good but really didn't have much to back it up. I love my BGE so I wouldn't change it but my guess is that this is pretty comparable; maybe a notch below but still fairly good.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Dash wrote:I saw these guys at Costco, price was about $500, what do BGE owners think? http://www.beso.com/kamado-smoker-grill/search?rf=gbn

for $500 for a Primo - I'd grab it up.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum