GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K

+15
ddt
Riprock
SensHulk
Ev
SeawaySensFan
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
rooneypoo
Flo The Action
shabbs
SDH89
NEELY
Hoags
spader
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:50 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Also, the people saying that there won't be a spot for a yougner prospect now, that's just not true. Konopka is simply a plug, 13th forward at the best of times. People really want thier prospect sitting as the 13th forward 1/2 the season and no playing either in Ottawa or the minors? No.

Konopka played 82 games last year, and 74 the year before that. He seems to make it hard on his coaches to sit him.

32Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:51 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:Also, the people saying that there won't be a spot for a yougner prospect now, that's just not true. Konopka is simply a plug, 13th forward at the best of times. People really want thier prospect sitting as the 13th forward 1/2 the season and no playing either in Ottawa or the minors? No.

Konopka played 82 games last year, and 74 the year before that. He seems to make it hard on his coaches to sit him.

No doubt, but he is still a 12th, 13th forward playing a very limited role.

33Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:47 pm

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:I hope Winchester and Kuba are traded.

I'm good with that. I think Winchester's time is running out soon. However he'll be given a little more leeway than Regin/Foligno.

34Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

It's a great move if we really want to be more of a "puck possession team".

Sens have always been weak on faceoffs, having a 4th liner who can win them a lot will help.

Leafs-Sens games will be a lot more entertaining.

Chris Neil can focus more on dirty goals and hitting rather than fighting, he's more effective this way.

This is trouble for Winchester and Carkner. Carkner has been a 7th D on pretty much every proposed lineup. If he's not in the lineup we're less tougher.

As for Winchester I'm not sure what his role is on this team anymore.

35Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:02 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:It's a great move if we really want to be more of a "puck possession team".

Sens have always been weak on faceoffs, having a 4th liner who can win them a lot will help.

Leafs-Sens games will be a lot more entertaining.

Chris Neil can focus more on dirty goals and hitting rather than fighting, he's more effective this way.

This is trouble for Winchester and Carkner. Carkner has been a 7th D on pretty much every proposed lineup. If he's not in the lineup we're less tougher.

As for Winchester I'm not sure what his role is on this team anymore.

If Carkner isn't in the lineup it's a huge win for thsi team.

Having a d-man as a goon isn't a good thing IMO. Their actions can be very negative, whereas a forward goon like Konopka really isn't.

The best fighters and tough guys in the league are forwards. Carkner is a liabilty on the ice.

36Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:09 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That's a good point Big Ev. Losing a d-man for 5 or a game has much more impact than losing a forward.

Oddly enough, Konopka's salary is the same as Carkner's.

37Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:That's a good point Big Ev. Losing a d-man for 5 or a game has much more impact than losing a forward.

I like Carkner and I consider him a notch up from 'goon' but that's a good point.

I guess him and Winchester will be on the sidelines most of the year, maybe dealt at the deadline.

38Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:24 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:As for Winchester I'm not sure what his role is on this team anymore.

He can win faceoffs when need be, play wing, kill penalties, draw penalties by protecting the puck... Part of the reason Zack Smith was so good in Ottawa was from playing with Winchester.

39Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
He can win faceoffs when need be, play wing, kill penalties, draw penalties by protecting the puck... Part of the reason Zack Smith was so good in Ottawa was from playing with Winchester.

Well we're adding players but have only so many roster spots so I wonder what the plan is upstairs.

40Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:31 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

okay...best trade proposal: carkner, Kuba, winchester for parise. What do you think???? Problem solved and then some ThumbsUp

41Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:33 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:okay...best trade proposal: carkner, Kuba, winchester for parise. What do you think???? Problem solved and then some ThumbsUp

NJ would be foolish to walk away from that. 3 for 1? Even I can see that that math = WIN for NJ.

42Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:59 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Konopka signing on the dotted line apparently:

Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 260567_10150242060304477_5800809476_7141571_6585047_n

43Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

He looks angry

44Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:06 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Also, the comments on the Facebook Sens page are awful to read. These "fans" are the most clueless people. Make our teams fans look idiotic. Might be worse than TSN's comments section.

45Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:30 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:Might be worse than TSN's comments section.

From the comments section in TSN's story on Ryan Keller signing with Edmonton:

How did they get him so cheap, aren't the Canucks going to miss him, he was a candidate for playoff MVP this year...good bargain for the Oilers. Sedins need to find a new linemate

Hard to top that Laughing3

46Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:40 pm

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

rooneypoo wrote:Anyway, if training camp -- especially for our young, rebuilding team -- is supposed to be all about having roster spots to compete for, then we've either forgot about that goal, or we've got other moves planned. I'm banking on the latter.

Yeah, the other alternative is for them to wait until training camp, see where the chips fall, and trade away the extra pieces. However, it may be harder to get trades done then.

47Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:
Dash wrote:Might be worse than TSN's comments section.

From the comments section in TSN's story on Ryan Keller signing with Edmonton:

How did they get him so cheap, aren't the Canucks going to miss him, he was a candidate for playoff MVP this year...good bargain for the Oilers. Sedins need to find a new linemate

Hard to top that Laughing3

Touche.

48Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568607

In general manager Bryan Murray's mind, he's exactly what's needed by a team that figures to be much younger in the season to come. Nobody agreed with that more than Paul MacLean, the Senators' new head coach.

"Paul and I had talked earlier about adding this kind of player," said Murray. "No. 1, he competes every night. No. 2, he can provide some leadership on the ice and some competitiveness on the ice, and No. 3, he wins faceoffs and brings that dimension to our hockey club. We like to have the puck and Paul was adamant that we be strong in that area. I hope we’ve addressed part of that, at least, in adding Zenon.

"We hope he’ll bring, with another couple of guys on his line, a real feistiness to our lineup. We believe that he can kill penalties. A number of people will get that opportunity and he’ll certainly be one of them."

Looks like Paul MacLean had a hand in this, insisting we have good faceoff guys.

Dash wrote:
Touche.

Hehe it's a tossup, I don't even look at FB comments anymore, I've seen a lot of stupid comments combined with the mandatory leaf fans trolling (why do they follow the Sens on FB anyway ?)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum