GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K

+15
ddt
Riprock
SensHulk
Ev
SeawaySensFan
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
rooneypoo
Flo The Action
shabbs
SDH89
NEELY
Hoags
spader
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

16Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:08 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:It's an unexpected move that opens up a lot of possibilities. To me, this move increases the likelihood that we're going to start trading players around -- all of a sudden, guys like Foligno, Regin, Winchester, and Carkner are all in play. Maybe you package Kuba + 1 of those guys to land 2nd line center, for instance.

It also means we can stop talking all that rot about Daugavins, etc., making this team. No way now. Even DaCosta and Zibanejad just got a whole lot more unlikely, if you ask me.

Also, our bottom 6 or so is starting to look pretty tough: Konopka, Neil, Smith, Winchester. We're appropriating all the Truculence out there....

Geez, I hope not.

Filatov - Spezza - Butler
Michalek - Regin (Da Costa/Zibanejad is he falters) - Alfredsson
Greening - Z.Smith - Foligno (no idea how to fit Foligno in)
Winchester - Zenopka - Neil

Just run with that. We might as well.

17Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:09 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Someone from the Sun network suggested that Murray should sign Konopka. I poo-pooed it because Konopka doesn't really seem to be what Ottawa needs right now. He's great on the draw, and was second in the league in fighting majors. He'll certainly make Ottawa games more entertaining.

Maybe we're in the process of trading Carkner or Neil? Or maybe Carks won't be on the team?

Regardless, Konopka adds depth, and adds toughness. Never bad to have either.

You know...this sets the Sens up to trade Chris Neil at the deadline for a nice pick or nice prospect. Good call, it's quite possible.

18Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:14 pm

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:It's an unexpected move that opens up a lot of possibilities. To me, this move increases the likelihood that we're going to start trading players around -- all of a sudden, guys like Foligno, Regin, Winchester, and Carkner are all in play. Maybe you package Kuba + 1 of those guys to land 2nd line center, for instance.

It also means we can stop talking all that rot about Daugavins, etc., making this team. No way now. Even DaCosta and Zibanejad just got a whole lot more unlikely, if you ask me.

Also, our bottom 6 or so is starting to look pretty tough: Konopka, Neil, Smith, Winchester. We're appropriating all the Truculence out there....

Geez, I hope not.

Filatov - Spezza - Butler
Michalek - Regin (Da Costa/Zibanejad is he falters) - Alfredsson
Greening - Z.Smith - Foligno (no idea how to fit Foligno in)
Winchester - Zenopka - Neil

Just run with that. We might as well.

Well, to be fair, I'm expecting both Butler and Condra to get 1-way deals, especially considering the Smith and Greening deals. We'll see in time I guess, but I think Condra walks away with a 1-way deal. If so, all of a sudden we have 13 forwards on 1-way deals, and that's throwing aside the question of Zibanejad and Da Costa. Can't imagine that we want to have any of the kids sit for expended periods.

We'll see -- but I smell a deal or two before it's all done.

19Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:16 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Well, to be fair, I'm expecting both Butler and Condra to get 1-way deals, especially considering the Smith and Greening deals. We'll see in time I guess, but I think Condra walks away with a 1-way deal. If so, all of a sudden we have 13 forwards on 1-way deals, and that's throwing aside the question of Zibanejad and Da Costa. Can't imagine that we want to have any of the kids sit for expended periods.

Interesting. I'm not sure about Condra, so I can't really say anything. He looked ready to me, but I thought they might give him one more year in the AHL just based on numbers alone - and that was before this signing.

Maybe you're right. I think if anything, this spells the end of Zibanejad playing on the Sens this year, Da Costa too I imagine. Can Ziban play in the AHL? I assume so because he's an import.

20Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:19 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Interesting. I'm not sure about Condra, so I can't really say anything. He looked ready to me, but I thought they might give him one more year in the AHL just based on numbers alone - and that was before this signing.

Maybe you're right. I think if anything, this spells the end of Zibanejad playing on the Sens this year, Da Costa too I imagine. Can Ziban play in the AHL? I assume so because he's an import.

I think Zibanejad either makes the big club, or he returns to Sweden. I think he's actually contractually obligated to do so.

Condra was really good for us last year, I thought. He was PK'ing before it was all said and done. If Smith and Greening earned 1-ways, I'm not sure how Condra didn't. But BM will settle this question for us before too long.

21Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:21 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Anyway, if training camp -- especially for our young, rebuilding team -- is supposed to be all about having roster spots to compete for, then we've either forgot about that goal, or we've got other moves planned. I'm banking on the latter.

22Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:23 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Postscript: I guess Filatov is technically still on a 2-way deal, but you'd have to think that he'd have to really suck for a long time before we'd contemplate sending him down. I don't think there's anyway he doesn't make the team out of camp, at any rate.

23Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:Anyway, if training camp -- especially for our young, rebuilding team -- is supposed to be all about having roster spots to compete for, then we've either forgot about that goal, or we've got other moves planned. I'm banking on the latter.

Yeah, I have two schools of thought on this signing.

1.I love it. He's a character guy who will drop the gloves to defend players, he's great in the room, he kills penalties, he wins faceoffs to the tune of 4th in the NHL (to go with Spezza who has become one of the best and Winchester who's great and Z.Smith who's very good as well). His salary is great. Everything's great.

2.Why did we do it? Laugh1 Really, we have 1000 bottom 6 players, we'll be lucky to score 150 goals next year.

Those were my initial reactions.

24Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:28 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Lessard-Neil-Konopka line

The MEAT line.

Mangle Everyone Allthe Time

25Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:35 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Vindication for that rummy, Tim Baines?

more to come

26Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:39 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Not much talk about Konopka. He's going to be a fan favourite!

27Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:41 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:Vindication for that rummy, Tim Baines?

more to come

I don’t think he was rumour-mongering…he was just suggesting that Konopka and Ottawa would be a good fit. And apparently the Murrays agreed. Gotta give him some credit I suppose.

28Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:41 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Anyway, if training camp -- especially for our young, rebuilding team -- is supposed to be all about having roster spots to compete for, then we've either forgot about that goal, or we've got other moves planned. I'm banking on the latter.

Yeah, I have two schools of thought on this signing.

1.I love it. He's a character guy who will drop the gloves to defend players, he's great in the room, he kills penalties, he wins faceoffs to the tune of 4th in the NHL (to go with Spezza who has become one of the best and Winchester who's great and Z.Smith who's very good as well). His salary is great. Everything's great.

2.Why did we do it? Laugh1 Really, we have 1000 bottom 6 players, we'll be lucky to score 150 goals next year.

Those were my initial reactions.

I think the way to explain away your concerns about point #2 is that this is a move we're making in preparation for another move -- 'cause you're right, it doesn't make huge sense otherwise.

29Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:42 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Also, the people saying that there won't be a spot for a yougner prospect now, that's just not true. Konopka is simply a plug, 13th forward at the best of times. People really want thier prospect sitting as the 13th forward 1/2 the season and no playing either in Ottawa or the minors? No.

30Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I hope Winchester and Kuba are traded.

31Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:50 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Also, the people saying that there won't be a spot for a yougner prospect now, that's just not true. Konopka is simply a plug, 13th forward at the best of times. People really want thier prospect sitting as the 13th forward 1/2 the season and no playing either in Ottawa or the minors? No.

Konopka played 82 games last year, and 74 the year before that. He seems to make it hard on his coaches to sit him.

32Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:51 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

rooneypoo wrote:
NEELY wrote:Also, the people saying that there won't be a spot for a yougner prospect now, that's just not true. Konopka is simply a plug, 13th forward at the best of times. People really want thier prospect sitting as the 13th forward 1/2 the season and no playing either in Ottawa or the minors? No.

Konopka played 82 games last year, and 74 the year before that. He seems to make it hard on his coaches to sit him.

No doubt, but he is still a 12th, 13th forward playing a very limited role.

33Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K - Page 2 Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:47 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:I hope Winchester and Kuba are traded.

I'm good with that. I think Winchester's time is running out soon. However he'll be given a little more leeway than Regin/Foligno.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum