GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K

+15
ddt
Riprock
SensHulk
Ev
SeawaySensFan
Number Twenty Nine
tim1_2
rooneypoo
Flo The Action
shabbs
SDH89
NEELY
Hoags
spader
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:20 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Might as well make a thread, it's a legit signing by the Sens. Great faceoff guy, good PKer, good character.

I guess the only issue I have is that instead of 184 bottom 6 guys, we now have 185.

2Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:23 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I wonder what (if any) implications this has for Carkner. This signing doesn't bode well for him. My guess is that this deal, in part, demonstrates that the Sens don't think he cracks the lineup now that we have Rundy and Cowen coming up.

3Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

spader wrote:I wonder what (if any) implications this has for Carkner. This signing doesn't bode well for him. My guess is that this deal, in part, demonstrates that the Sens don't think he cracks the lineup now that we have Rundy and Cowen coming up.

I figured that was a given, I can't really see Carker as anything more than a #7 Dman for us.

He might be in the lineup when we play the Leafs, and that's where Konopka would be useful as well when Rosehill starts to goon it up.

4Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, I think the writing's on the wall for Carkner. He'll be a 7th D-man for us and there will be injuries, so he'll play.

5Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:28 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:Might as well make a thread, it's a legit signing by the Sens. Great faceoff guy, good PKer, good character.

I guess the only issue I have is that instead of 184 bottom 6 guys, we now have 185.

How many of those bottom 6 guys can toss them? I would rather have him there than WInchester, you know he will keep players honest in a big way.

He's not even bottom 6, he's bottom 3 and that's being generous. Perfect signing because he is a more complete player than Winchester at this point.

6Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:28 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Big fan of this signing. Great role player and perfect fit for 4th line center. The guy is a warrior and plays hard everygame and sticks up for his teammates. He'll be popular in the room. The bonus here is that we'll probably say goodbye to Winchester.

7Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
How many of those bottom 6 guys can toss them? I would rather have him there than WInchester, you know he will keep players honest in a big way.

He's not even bottom 6, he's bottom 3 and that's being generous. Perfect signing because he is a more complete player than Winchester at this point.

He's a more complete player, but Winchester is being sold short here. He came a long way last year, always played really hard, wasn't afraid to drop the gloves. I hope he's not relegated to the press box, but I think his spot is safe. Condra on the other hand? He just lost his spot I think.

8Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:49 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

spader wrote:I wonder what (if any) implications this has for Carkner. This signing doesn't bode well for him. My guess is that this deal, in part, demonstrates that the Sens don't think he cracks the lineup now that we have Rundy and Cowen coming up.
Yeah... this looks to be a move to toughen up the team... I wonder if Carkner is on the way out? Or maybe just to have more flexibility with our tough guys.

9Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I imagine this is to insulate our younger players. give them some room to do their thing without having to much fear of repercussions? I could be wrong... let the kids play and let the goons scare the Dung out of anyone takes a crack at them. IMO

10Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

someone in the media called this. was it yost? or did 6th sens called it as a bad idea...

11Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:02 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

It's an unexpected move that opens up a lot of possibilities. To me, this move increases the likelihood that we're going to start trading players around -- all of a sudden, guys like Foligno, Regin, Winchester, and Carkner are all in play. Maybe you package Kuba + 1 of those guys to land 2nd line center, for instance.

It also means we can stop talking all that rot about Daugavins, etc., making this team. No way now. Even DaCosta and Zibanejad just got a whole lot more unlikely, if you ask me.

Also, our bottom 6 or so is starting to look pretty tough: Konopka, Neil, Smith, Winchester. We're appropriating all the Truculence out there....

12Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:05 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Someone from the Sun network suggested that Murray should sign Konopka. I poo-pooed it because Konopka doesn't really seem to be what Ottawa needs right now. He's great on the draw, and was second in the league in fighting majors. He'll certainly make Ottawa games more entertaining.

Maybe we're in the process of trading Carkner or Neil? Or maybe Carks won't be on the team?

Regardless, Konopka adds depth, and adds toughness. Never bad to have either.

13Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:08 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:It's an unexpected move that opens up a lot of possibilities. To me, this move increases the likelihood that we're going to start trading players around -- all of a sudden, guys like Foligno, Regin, Winchester, and Carkner are all in play. Maybe you package Kuba + 1 of those guys to land 2nd line center, for instance.

It also means we can stop talking all that rot about Daugavins, etc., making this team. No way now. Even DaCosta and Zibanejad just got a whole lot more unlikely, if you ask me.

Also, our bottom 6 or so is starting to look pretty tough: Konopka, Neil, Smith, Winchester. We're appropriating all the Truculence out there....

Geez, I hope not.

Filatov - Spezza - Butler
Michalek - Regin (Da Costa/Zibanejad is he falters) - Alfredsson
Greening - Z.Smith - Foligno (no idea how to fit Foligno in)
Winchester - Zenopka - Neil

Just run with that. We might as well.

14Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:09 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Someone from the Sun network suggested that Murray should sign Konopka. I poo-pooed it because Konopka doesn't really seem to be what Ottawa needs right now. He's great on the draw, and was second in the league in fighting majors. He'll certainly make Ottawa games more entertaining.

Maybe we're in the process of trading Carkner or Neil? Or maybe Carks won't be on the team?

Regardless, Konopka adds depth, and adds toughness. Never bad to have either.

You know...this sets the Sens up to trade Chris Neil at the deadline for a nice pick or nice prospect. Good call, it's quite possible.

15Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Empty Re: Ottawa signs Konopka 1 year/700K Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:14 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:It's an unexpected move that opens up a lot of possibilities. To me, this move increases the likelihood that we're going to start trading players around -- all of a sudden, guys like Foligno, Regin, Winchester, and Carkner are all in play. Maybe you package Kuba + 1 of those guys to land 2nd line center, for instance.

Geez, I hope not.

Filatov - Spezza - Butler
Michalek - Regin (Da Costa/Zibanejad is he falters) - Alfredsson
Greening - Z.Smith - Foligno (no idea how to fit Foligno in)
Winchester - Zenopka - Neil

Just run with that. We might as well.

Well, to be fair, I'm expecting both Butler and Condra to get 1-way deals, especially considering the Smith and Greening deals. We'll see in time I guess, but I think Condra walks away with a 1-way deal. If so, all of a sudden we have 13 forwards on 1-way deals, and that's throwing aside the question of Zibanejad and Da Costa. Can't imagine that we want to have any of the kids sit for expended periods.

We'll see -- but I smell a deal or two before it's all done.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum