GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Draft day trades and moves predictions.

+15
Vandelay
rooneypoo
LeCaptain
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
Riprock
dennycrane
spader
sandysensfan
Ev
wprager
Flo The Action
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 13]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:I don't think Shannon is in the cards to be honest....I'd love to have him but does management want him to be taking a younger player's spot? Unless regin or someone else is shipped out, I'd say management will take the easy route and not re-sign shannon.

After how he finished the 2nd half of the year, I don't think there's anyway we don't re-sign him. No brainer.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Michallica wrote:I don't think Shannon is in the cards to be honest....I'd love to have him but does management want him to be taking a younger player's spot? Unless regin or someone else is shipped out, I'd say management will take the easy route and not re-sign shannon.

After how he finished the 2nd half of the year, I don't think there's anyway we don't re-sign him. No brainer.

I don't think they're re-signing him either.

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Annnnnd I still don't think there's anyway we're not signing him. Smile

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:
Guy had major shoulder surgery. Let him play a few games and if he sucks, call it a conditioning stint.

Can you play him then send him down for conditioning?

I don't see why not. You play, he sucks, you decide he didn't spend as much time during the off-season training as he needed to, due to his injury, so you send him down for a conditioning stint in the AHL. Didn't they do exactly that with Emery? He came back from injury, played badly, they sent him down.

No, they waived his arse. I don't think you can send a guy down for more than a game or two tops - and I think there might be a number of days that he needed to be out first.

I think it's normally two weeks as a conditioning stint.. is it not?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

At what time last year did he get his contract extention? I think he got it by now. Makes me believe they're not bringing him back. With the year he's had he'll likely get signed by another team. NSH maybe?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
I think the max time for a conditioning stint is, like, two weeks.

You definitely don't want to have Regin trapped in waiver limbo ala Labarbara. He's not doing much good for anyone anywhere if that happens. But that's what will happen if we assign him to Bingo before the start of the season.

Worst case, Regin is our 13th forward, fighting a guy like Shannon for ice time. I don't think Bingo is in the cards.

There are always loopholes though, like I believe if we start Regin in Bingo at the start of the year, we could call him up as an emergency recall when the first injury hits and keep him up here.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:

I don't see them re-signing him, which is very strange considering how good he is at adapting to either a third line role or a top 6 role IMO. I think he's a perfect 13th forward, but I think Murray and co. would prefer to call up a Da Costa or Silfverberg or O'Brien etc.

Plus, I bet he wants a raise to close to a million. He's been decent at the worlds, he was really solid for us, if I were someone who needed a role player with speed, I'd give him 850K, but I really don't think he's in Ottawa's plans.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3
Check it out. Some idiot on the TSN board:

sportsdude316
6 hours ago
Ottawa should be better with a healthy line up and a new coach. They would benefit from some offence. Although a trade with the Leafs is unlikely, one possiblity might be getting Joffrey Lupul for Jared Cowan and Sens first round pick this year. Sens get a sniper to play with Spezza and Leafs get youngsters Smile. Its definitely win-win Smile

I don't have the words... Facepalm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote: Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3 Laughing3
Check it out. Some idiot on the TSN board:

sportsdude316
6 hours ago
Ottawa should be better with a healthy line up and a new coach. They would benefit from some offence. Although a trade with the Leafs is unlikely, one possiblity might be getting Joffrey Lupul for Jared Cowan and Sens first round pick this year. Sens get a sniper to play with Spezza and Leafs get youngsters Smile. Its definitely win-win Smile

I don't have the words... Facepalm

And that's why leafs fans are the laughing stock of the NHL. They don't have a clue what their assets and players worth.

Mind you Habs fans aren't far behind.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think it was a joke.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

You definitely don't want to have Regin trapped in waiver limbo ala Labarbara. He's not doing much good for anyone anywhere if that happens. But that's what will happen if we assign him to Bingo before the start of the season.

Worst case, Regin is our 13th forward, fighting a guy like Shannon for ice time. I don't think Bingo is in the cards.

There are always loopholes though, like I believe if we start Regin in Bingo at the start of the year, we could call him up as an emergency recall when the first injury hits and keep him up here.

No, there's not, really. That's why Labarbara was stuck in the AHL for a full year while LA couldn't get a save from any of its other goalies.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can have guys up on emergency recall for months at a time. "Emergency" certainly suggests something a little more short-term to me.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

At what time last year did he get his contract extention? I think he got it by now. Makes me believe they're not bringing him back. With the year he's had he'll likely get signed by another team. NSH maybe?

Shannon played in all situations in the last 3 months or so and looked good doing it. Unless his $ demands are unreasonable, which I think unlikely, I just don't see us not bringing him back.

We'll find out in the next 8 weeks or so, tho'. Still lots of time on this.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

No, there's not, really. That's why Labarbara was stuck in the AHL for a full year while LA couldn't get a save from any of its other goalies.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can have guys up on emergency recall for months at a time. "Emergency" certainly suggests something a little more short-term to me.

Might be a question for Roche. He was our resident CBA expert. He was like Dr. Sanjay Gupta but for CBA instead of medicine.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I don't see them re-signing him, which is very strange considering how good he is at adapting to either a third line role or a top 6 role IMO. I think he's a perfect 13th forward, but I think Murray and co. would prefer to call up a Da Costa or Silfverberg or O'Brien etc.

Plus, I bet he wants a raise to close to a million. He's been decent at the worlds, he was really solid for us, if I were someone who needed a role player with speed, I'd give him 850K, but I really don't think he's in Ottawa's plans.

You can't ice a team full of rookies, SD, no matter how much of a rebuild mode you're in. Every team needs its vets and leaders. Shannon is a great fit for us in that sense -- guy busts his Donkey off, which will rub off on others and keep everyone on their toes fighting for ice time and roster spots.

There will be injuries and opportunities for the AHLers to step it up even with a guy like Shannon in the mix, no worries. But I don't see any more AHLers after Butler, Greening, Condra, and Smith (at forward, that is) making our starting roster. We've got 7 returning vet forwards (including Regin), a need for at least 1 top 6 UFA addition, + Shannon as 13th. Makes too much sense. He is the guy who will keep everyone -- the rookies and Regin included -- honest.

Da Costa, Wick, Petersson... those guys are all starting in the AHL, for sure.

As for Shannon not being signed as of yet... meh, BM is a busy guy right now. On top of the coach hunt, he's got 10 pending UFAs and 10 pending RFAs, mostly at the AHL level, granted, but that situation has to be be dealt with. Once the AHL and NHL playoffs finish and the coach is added, the Sens re-signing news will start trickling in.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Might be a question for Roche. He was our resident CBA expert. He was like Dr. Sanjay Gupta but for CBA instead of medicine.

Long before Fraudy McNotchRoche, I was something of a CBA guy. It's really not a hard thing to do, to be honest. You just have to search through and read the CBA, and then try to make sense of the legalese. When you're teaching 5+ courses a year and working on getting a book published, however, that kind of thing can be time consuming...

I've checked things out, on both fronts:

Conditioning stint: 14 days, or two weeks, max loan period (as I said). Article 13.8.

Emergency recall: there are very, very specific conditions that have to be met in order for a team to be able to recall a player in this situation, and it requires league approval. Here's the wording, from 13.12:

"Emergency Recall.

(i) A Player on Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the League may be Recalled from such Loan under emergency conditions at any time for the duration of the emergency only following which he must be returned promptly to the club from which he was Recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

(iii) For the purpose of establishing the existence of emergency conditions at any time, to support the Recall of a Player for participation in any Playoff Game, it shall be deemed that the Player(s) on Loan following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the last day of the Regular Season are continuing on Loan for the remainder of the season notwithstanding that the Loaned club(s) may have been eliminated from further play for the season."

I can't see a team being able to satisfy the conditions of 13.12(ii) for a long period of time so that they could keep a guy up on emergency recall indefinitely. It would take a number of long-term injury situations, I'd think. If we're even thinking about assigning Regin to the AHL, we might as well just trade him or, barring that, waive him outright.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Notch should publish a book.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
You can't ice a team full of rookies, SD, no matter how much of a rebuild mode you're in. Every team needs its vets and leaders. Shannon is a great fit for us in that sense -- guy busts his Donkey off, which will rub off on others and keep everyone on their toes fighting for ice time and roster spots.

There will be injuries and opportunities for the AHLers to step it up even with a guy like Shannon in the mix, no worries. But I don't see any more AHLers after Butler, Greening, Condra, and Smith (at forward, that is) making our starting roster. We've got 7 returning vet forwards (including Regin), a need for at least 1 top 6 UFA addition, + Shannon as 13th. Makes too much sense. He is the guy who will keep everyone -- the rookies and Regin included -- honest.

As for Shannon not being signed as of yet... meh, BM is a busy guy right now. On top of the coach hunt, he's got 10 pending UFAs and 10 pending RFAs, mostly at the AHL level, granted, but that situation has to be be dealt with. Once the AHL and NHL playoffs finish and the coach is added, the Sens re-signing news will start trickling in.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. I hope that we re-sign Shannon because that work ethic and semi-veteran presence is sorely needed. I hope they come out on your side and re-sign him and not the way I think they're gonna do it...and let him go.

I think the veteran presence is coming on the backend - which I know is hilarious considering we have 88 D-men, but I still think someone like a Sean O'Donnell (UFA) or someone of that nature is heading our way. Just a guy you can sign for a million or 1.2 who can clear the crease and play a sturdy D. With so many young D-men and a couple of real defects in Kuba and Gonchar, I can really see this being a top priority for Murray. In fact, now that we have cap room, could Andy Sutton be coming back?

I don't necessarily endorse this, but this is how Murray tends to operate.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Oh, I agree with you 100%. I hope that we re-sign Shannon because that work ethic and semi-veteran presence is sorely needed. I hope they come out on your side and re-sign him and not the way I think they're gonna do it...and let him go.

I think the veteran presence is coming on the backend - which I know is hilarious considering we have 88 D-men, but I still think someone like a Sean O'Donnell (UFA) or someone of that nature is heading our way. Just a guy you can sign for a million or 1.2 who can clear the crease and play a sturdy D. With so many young D-men and a couple of real defects in Kuba and Gonchar, I can really see this being a top priority for Murray. In fact, now that we have cap room, could Andy Sutton be coming back?

I don't necessarily endorse this, but this is how Murray tends to operate.

Isn't Cowen supposed to be the bone-cruncher coming up? Why would we sign someone to do the job he's expected to do?

Also, I'd like Shannon to stay on. Whether it'll happen remains to be seen, but I think he earned a modest raise and a spot.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum