GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Curious Case of Barry Brust...

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The Ottawa Senators have had a tough time nailing down a starting goaltender - especially in this wonky year that's been. They've finally found someone who at 29 is in the prime of his career and is saying all the right things - and is stopping the puck! What an idea that is!

So now the job gets a little easier, it's time to find a back-up. Now, keep in mind that the back-up will probably play a bare minimum of 15 games next year, it's only logical to say that Anderson will get between 60-65 starts. Looking at it from that point of view, it's not a significant number. However, as we all know by now, making the playoffs can be a fickle beast. At the end of a hard fought season you could miss by 2 point, 4 points, or lose in a shoot out like the Rangers of last year - in other words, every point counts, so this is a much more important decision than just simply putting pen to paper of the first guy that comes around. He has to fit in with the team, he has to drive Anderson and he has to get along with Anderson.

The initial knee-jerk reaction would be the re-sign Mcelhinney to a cheap, 1 year contract and call it a day. Then, move to shore up the depth in the system by re-signing Barry Brust. Sounds easy enough, shouldn't be too many issues - unless Brust wants to go overseas for the money, but he's treated as a rock star in Binghamton right now, so there's really little to indicate that he would leave.

But what happens when the Sens insist on Robin Lehner getting at least 50 starts in the AHL? All of a sudden Brust, one of the year's MVPs in the AHL, is designated to back-up...in the AHL no less. What to do with that?

Well, the other knee-jerk reaction would be to simply sign him as the back-up to Anderson next year, after all he's sporting a .925 save % for the B-Sens and is directly responsible for their rise to a playoff spot, he should be able to back-up in the NHL, right? The answer to that would be: who knows? Maybe he comes into a situation in Ottawa and absolutely sucks, not being able to handle the speed, the difference in shots between the two leagues, maybe he simple doesn't have the mental makeup, then what to do? The easiest move would be to sign another goalie - mind you this would be well into the season, so it wouldn't be as easy as it sounds - or just let it happen, but as discussed, sometimes it can come back to bite you at the end of the year. That's not to say that anyone's predicting the Sens to make the playoffs, but it would hurt if that was the reason we missed.

So, finally after Brust has made several back-up appearances and not done well, he's send back down to Bingo. Here's where it can get really tricky. If Lehner falters a bit in the AHL and Brust comes in and does what he's doing this year, Lehner will becomes a 'villain' in a town starved for playoff games. The fans there have already booed Lehner whenever he's made appearances because they prefer to have Brust in there (who can really blame them right now). Will they boo him again if he's the starter and one of the league's MVP's is riding the pine? Very likely.

There's a contingent of us who think that Lehner will need to deal with the boos, the reaction he gets from the fans down there that think this is a mistake - and there will be plenty, rest assured, the other side of the argument is that it will eventually breed contempt. Players don't like to lose, the first time Lehner falters, they'll be expecting Brust to come in - and if he doesn't, there will begin to be some friction between even the players and Lehner. Add to that the boos that will rain down and there's a situation here that can be avoided.

But is it at the expense of Barry Brust? All this to say that this is not an easy decision - at least not as easy as simply signing and designating, there's a lot of emotions that will come into play here if Brust is re-signed and made to play in Bingo. Someone that follows Bingo closely suggested to me the other day that the Sens walk away from Brust. I was shocked and questioned that in a big way, but I'm starting to understand the sentiment.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:27 pm by shabbs

So, would a nice plan for the Sens be to sign Mac 'n Cheese to a 1-year, two-way deal to backup Anderson next year. Sign Brust to a 2-year two-way NHL deal to allow for call-ups and have Lehner fight for the #1 spot in Bingo with Brust?

I'm not sure if that would work out... to be honest, if they want Lehner to get the majority of starts in Bingo next year (and they should), I can't see Brust being in the picture and wanting to re-sign.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 pm by PTFlea

spader wrote:
I agree. Why can't Lehner take his time and earn his starts in B-town. We now have a #1 signed up here for 4 years, let's let Lehner "hunt" Brust before he gets a chance to "hunt" Anderson.

That's what this is all about, can they co-exist? It's not a question of whether Lehner can outduel Brust, he can't at this stage of his career, it's a question of whether or not the fans will accept Lehner in Bingo without constantly booing him and causing issues.

Hoags

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:44 pm by Hoags

SpezDispenser wrote:
That's what this is all about, can they co-exist? It's not a question of whether Lehner can outduel Brust, he can't at this stage of his career, it's a question of whether or not the fans will accept Lehner in Bingo without constantly booing him and causing issues.

Right now Brust is better or Lehner would have taken the #1 job away.

Lehner should get a lot of starts next year, I'd be worried if he can't outplay Brust.

Brust might be a late bloomer, I think LA went through 10 goalies the year Brust played there.

I haven't watched him play so I don't know if Brust is any good, he seems better than Brodeur down there.

Not a bad idea to sign him on a cheap 2-way, Anderson will play 65+ next year.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:45 pm by Cap'n Clutch

Brodeur was a stud AHL goalie at the time of his signing with Bingo. I think his concussion issues have really hurt his game lately.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:54 pm by NEELY

Go with Brodure and Lehner. Both have been in the organization for a little bit now, Brust was a plug and he has proven he may deserve an NHL 2 way deal at this point... Ottawa shouldn't give it to him though.

Give Brodure the 2 way deal, Ottawa does owe him something and vis versa. That's 2 very good goalies downin Bingo along with a ton of prospects and legit players coming down the pipeline still. If they have a problem with that, just move their farm team somewhere else.

PTFlea

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:02 pm by PTFlea

NEELY wrote:Go with Brodure and Lehner. Both have been in the organization for a little bit now, Brust was a plug and he has proven he may deserve an NHL 2 way deal at this point... Ottawa shouldn't give it to him though.

Give Brodure the 2 way deal, Ottawa does owe him something and vis versa. That's 2 very good goalies downin Bingo along with a ton of prospects and legit players coming down the pipeline still. If they have a problem with that, just move their farm team somewhere else.

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Go with Brodeur and Lehner - with Brodeur as the backup obviously and let Brust go, that's what I thought had to happen as well.

So you wouldn't give Brust a 2-way contract as backup because he has no experience?

shabbs

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:07 pm by shabbs

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:Go with Brodure and Lehner. Both have been in the organization for a little bit now, Brust was a plug and he has proven he may deserve an NHL 2 way deal at this point... Ottawa shouldn't give it to him though.

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Go with Brodeur and Lehner - with Brodeur as the backup obviously and let Brust go, that's what I thought had to happen as well.

So you wouldn't give Brust a 2-way contract as backup because he has no experience?
The situation Neely outlined assumes Brust walks... which is where I was going since he doesn't seem to have a clear "fit" with the future plans for the Sens at this point in time...

2011/12 Goalie situation:
- Sens: Anderson/Mac 'n Cheese
- Bingo: Lehner/Brodeur
- Elmira: Whatever is left...

PTFlea

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:10 pm by PTFlea

shabbs wrote:The situation Neely outlined assumes Brust walks... which is where I was going.

2011/12 Goalie situation:
- Sens: Anderson/Mac 'n Cheese
- Bingo: Lehner/Brodeur
- Elmira: Whatever is left...

Yeah, I think that's gonna happen. That's...slightly unfortunate because Brust has been integral to some of our young guys having a shot at the post-season. I wish there was a way to fit him in, but he can't possibly be a backup in the AHL. If he was backup in the NHL, that would be completely different, but in the AHL, I doubt he agrees - and again, there's a ton of friction that could conceivably take place.

On the other hand...Murray said the other day that there would be riots if he didn't re-sign Brust - does that mean that he's thinking about it, or does that not mean a thing right now?

EDIT: Add in that the fans will become restless and you have The Curious Case of Barry Brust...as in, what the Diddle do we do with him?

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:15 pm by NEELY

SpezDispenser wrote:

I think Bordure has proven to be a very capable AHL goaltender, just a lot of bad luck this year and Lehner is a guy they have to focus on. You have to think about the long term development of Lehner and Brodure is probably the guy that is best suited to push him but at the same time help him along the way. The organization also owes Brodure another year to try and get over that injury bug he had this year. Go with the tandom they wanted to all along, it was the right choice, it just didn't work out this year, the main reason being Leclaire.

Let Brust walk, if he can find a 2 way deal somewhere, fantastic, if not, no sweat off anyones back.

SensGirl11

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:32 pm by SensGirl11

Anderson was a late bloomer, that's probably what Brust is.

I'd rather Brust than Brodeur as an NHL backup, but I dont' know much about either. Mac can maybe do it, not sold on him either yet though.

SensGirl11

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:34 pm by SensGirl11

It doesn't make sense to keep a goalie like Brust in Bingo if we want Lehner to play most games. I'd be concerned if Lehner couldn't steal the job from Brust, but they're not really giving him the opportunity to do so.

Fans will not stand for having Lehner starting if Brust is still in Bingo. There will be too much drama down there if we keep him.

Hoags

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:36 pm by Hoags

I don't know about Brodeur, when he had his miraculous games with the Sens every Bingo fan I read said that he sucks and just wait til he crashes back down to Earth.

Brodeur never accomplished what Brust has down there to my knowledge.

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:40 pm by NEELY

If they want to let Bordure walk and have Lehner really fight it out for starts in Bingo, then thats what they should do.

Maybe the right way to go is to sign Brust to a two way deal and just let Brodure walk. I think The Sens owe him another year but perhaps they also want to move on. Could be good for the organization to keep the fans in Bingo happy as well. Just spit balling right now.

Either way, Lehner has to get his fair share of starts in Bingo next year no matter who they resign. It's still a place where prospects play to develop despite what fans want.

SensGirl11

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 pm by SensGirl11

Funny, for the most part Brust and Anderson had the same AHL numbers. Brust's being slightly better overall.

He (Brust) has only had 11 NHL games. with a 3.70 and .878

Brust - http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1448
Anderson - http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=836
Brodeur - nothing special - http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1264
Lehner so far - http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1668

SensGirl11

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:27 pm by SensGirl11

This is what made me confused about who owned Brust's rights
they still have it listed like this on capgeek

G Barry Brust, Minnesota Wild

shabbs

Post Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:09 pm by shabbs

SensGirl11 wrote:This is what made me confused about who owned Brust's rights
they still have it listed like this on capgeek

G Barry Brust, Minnesota Wild
That was his last NHL contract...

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:56 am by Cap'n Clutch

I think if Lehner is the real deal and he's given a fair opportunity to get the starts and wrestle the job away from Brust then keeping Brust makes the most sense. I'm not sure if that can happen. If the coach is more confident in Brust will Lehner get a legitimate chance?

wprager

Post Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:14 am by wprager

Lehner should be given every opportunity to play a lion's share of the games but let's not kid ourselves -- he doesn't just deserve it, nor should he continue getting starts if he's not doing the job. With Anderson now signed for 4 years Lehner really needs 2 full seasons in the AHL, so he does not have to be the #1 down there in 2011/12.

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum