GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh

+25
ddt
spader
Hoags
Number Twenty Nine
SensGirl11
Ev
beedub
shabbs
Amnesia021
rooneypoo
SensFan71
wprager
22_4_ever
tim1_2
Riprock
asq2
SDH89
dennycrane
strachattack
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

76Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:People really need to give their heads a shake here. 1 million saved out of Melnyk's pocket is worth it to the team for sure. Got a 7th, oh well, could be a 6th and The Sens add another pick.

Take it, move on.

Geez, Neely, five minutes ago you said that 5th is what you had expected, maybe a 4th. If the difference between now and Monday would have been 2 rounds, isn't that worth the extra, what, $122K saved in salary? Or were you wrong with your original 5th/4th assessment?

Not trying to get you to say you were wrong but at least agree with the rest of us that this is lower return than you had expected.

Weep with us; don't scorn us. You've only been back 4 hours, there'll be plenty time for that later.

77Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

ding dong the drifter's gone.......

Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance

78Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:55 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Saving $1M or so is a sound business decision. And when it saying buhbye to AK27, it's a sound hockey decision as well. Win-win.

79Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:ding dong the drifter's gone.......

Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance Snoopydance

I take it you won't be cheering for your home team Smile

80Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:55 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

now hopefully no more overbloated contracts to russian players there murray, we still have gonchar to live down

81Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:now hopefully no more overbloated contracts to russian players there murray, we still have gonchar to live down

The only Russian I want to see here in the foreseeable future is if we re-acquire A-Train.

82Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Let's not forget that AK27 had a NMC. He likely dictated that he only wanted to go to Pittsburgh (not sure if he would've wanted to go back to Montreal). Waiting until Monday would have changed nothing, unless Pittsburgh made a move for someone else, in which case we would be stuck with AK.

83Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:00 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Let's not forget that AK27 had a NMC. He likely dictated that he only wanted to go to Pittsburgh (not sure if he would've wanted to go back to Montreal). Waiting until Monday would have changed nothing, unless Pittsburgh made a move for someone else, in which case we would be stuck with AK.

Or unless there was a competing offer that Kovalev would have waived for?

84Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:01 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:People really need to give their heads a shake here. 1 million saved out of Melnyk's pocket is worth it to the team for sure. Got a 7th, oh well, could be a 6th and The Sens add another pick.

Take it, move on.

Geez, Neely, five minutes ago you said that 5th is what you had expected, maybe a 4th. If the difference between now and Monday would have been 2 rounds, isn't that worth the extra, what, $122K saved in salary? Or were you wrong with your original 5th/4th assessment?

Not trying to get you to say you were wrong but at least agree with the rest of us that this is lower return than you had expected.

Weep with us; don't scorn us. You've only been back 4 hours, there'll be plenty time for that later.

If it means not signing Phillips, not moving Kuba, or making a mistake with a possible Neil move, then yes, it was totally worth it.

I think they might have been able to get a 5th but the chances of a 5th rounder making The NHL vs a 7th is pretty close to no difference at all. After the 1st and 2nd round, draft lists are no where near the same in terms of what teams view.

The guy they want with their 5th or 6th rounders could probably be had with their 7th.

85Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:01 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Happy freakin' bday Kovalev! Happy Birthday to all of us!

86Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:

Take it, move on.

If it means not signing Phillips, not moving Kuba, or making a mistake with a possible Neil move, then yes, it was totally worth it.

I think they might have been able to get a 5th but the chances of a 5th rounder making The NHL vs a 7th is pretty close to no difference at all. After the 1st and 2nd round, draft lists are no where near the same in terms of what teams view.

The guy they want with their 5th or 6th rounders could probably be had with their 7th.

But we WANT Kuba gone.

87Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:03 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:

Take it, move on.

True, but a 5th and a prospect could be turned into a 3rd a lot quicker than a 7th could.

88Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:06 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I have a feeling that if Murray thought that was possible, he would have waited. Anyway, the later rounds of the draft are a crapshoot anyways, so a 7th isn’t that much different than a 6th or 5th in my opinion.

89Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:06 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Worst FA signing in Sens' history - gone

$1Million saved for Melnyk which he can put toward a new scoreboard.

Fair deal a 7th round pick is about as much of a crapshoot as whether shows to a game or not.

90Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:08 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

There are probably 10-20 guys Dorrion and The Sens have on their draft list that could be has in round 4-7 and 1/2 the teams may not even have them on their lists at all.

Stone is a nice example. A huge project that was taken with a 6th last year. I would bet that he could have been had with a 7th if The Sens didn't have that draft pick. There is literally very little difference.

If there is someone The Sens absolutely need to take in round 4 or 5, they have the option of actually trading 2 or 3 picks to get him.

91Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:09 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Worst FA signing in Sens' history - gone

$1Million saved for Melnyk which he can put toward a new scoreboard.

Fair deal a 7th round pick is about as much of a crapshoot as whether shows to a game or not.

Kovalev, with his Ottawa production, is already 7th in scoring on that team. Playing with better players is hardly a crapshoot.

I really don't get this new scoreboard fixation, either.

92Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:09 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
asq2 wrote:Plus our two wins have come against lousy teams. Let's wait until Anderson faces some real offences and Spezza-Butler some real defences before worrying about dropping out of the top-4.

Agreed. I would hate for Butler to have success at the NHL level and build some confidence by scoring game after game.

scratch

I'm not saying I wouldn't like him to, but the only legit team he's scored against is Boston. Just trying to point out to SD that it doesn't exactly suggest that he and Spez are going to turn our season around on their own.

93Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 6 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:10 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:
wprager wrote:

Take it, move on.

True, but a 5th and a prospect could be turned into a 3rd a lot quicker than a 7th could.

Maybe, maybe not. The Sens draft lists tend to be a lot different then most teams based on the past few years. The Sens will target the players they want and go after them. If trading 2 7ths for a 5th will get them a player they think can play in The NHL one day, they will do it. If They have to trade a 5th this year and a 4th next year to get a 4th round pick, then they will do it.

It's all circumstantial and the fact is they added an asset on draft day while giving up absolutely nothing of value to them, not to mention they shed 1.25 million off the books.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum