GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh

+25
ddt
spader
Hoags
Number Twenty Nine
SensGirl11
Ev
beedub
shabbs
Amnesia021
rooneypoo
SensFan71
wprager
22_4_ever
tim1_2
Riprock
asq2
SDH89
dennycrane
strachattack
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

121Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Kelly is more than cutting losses though imo. What does he really save by moving Kelly?

I imagine Kelly was one of the more tradeable assets.

We save a hundred thousand this year and a $2M cap hit for next year, every bit helps in cutting the losses.

Kelly is more valuable to a playoff team and cup contender. We will not be in that position for some time. He is also 30, and we are trying to get younger.

I also believe they are trying to change the culture in the room which means shipping out some of the team "leaders" and letting some new leadership emerge (say Foligno). I think it'd be hard to make serious changes to the team if it's the same leadership core in the room calling the shots.

This. A guy like Kelly will not turn a team around. He is a good complimentary player to an already-successful team. Take a guess as to what Ottawa needs.

122Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:31 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:Kelly is more than cutting losses though imo. What does he really save by moving Kelly?

In Ottawa's position, then can either sign a guy like John Madden for one year @ 1 million, or simply let one of Condra or Greening earn Kelly's ice time. This team is going nowhere next year (barring several huge trades and a miracle), so why not let Kelly play with a contender, take the 2nd round pick, replenish the cupboards and re-assess after next year?

123Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:06 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

After seeing what is essentially Sopel for a 4th and Stillman for a 5th we're still good with getting a 7th for Kovalev, right?

124Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:10 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:After seeing what is essentially Sopel for a 4th and Stillman for a 5th we're still good with getting a 7th for Kovalev, right?
Kovalev - bloody expensive, lazy, UFA
Sopel, Stillman - both cheap, both give effort, UFA's

Yep.

125Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:22 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:After seeing what is essentially Sopel for a 4th and Stillman for a 5th we're still good with getting a 7th for Kovalev, right?

Yep.

Sopel was huge on The Blackhawks last year when they won the cup as well.

126Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:25 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Yep.

Also, it's a business with real money.

127Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Yep.

Also, it's a business with real money.

Really, I thought they use Monopoly money.

128Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:35 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
hemlock wrote:Kelly is more than cutting losses though imo. What does he really save by moving Kelly?

In Ottawa's position, then can either sign a guy like John Madden for one year @ 1 million, or simply let one of Condra or Greening earn Kelly's ice time. This team is going nowhere next year (barring several huge trades and a miracle), so why not let Kelly play with a contender, take the 2nd round pick, replenish the cupboards and re-assess after next year?

Replace his ice time perhaps, but please don't tell me you think either of these two are capable right now of stepping in and replacing all that Kelly brings. IMO, Kelly was, just like Neil is, more valuable to the Sens than anyone else.

129Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:40 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:Replace his ice time perhaps, but please don't tell me you think either of these two are capable right now of stepping in and replacing all that Kelly brings. IMO, Kelly was, just like Neil is, more valuable to the Sens than anyone else.

You can say that for just about any player in the league. You never really replace guys, people just take their spot in the lineup.

130Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Replace his ice time perhaps, but please don't tell me you think either of these two are capable right now of stepping in and replacing all that Kelly brings. IMO, Kelly was, just like Neil is, more valuable to the Sens than anyone else.

Negligible difference to a rebuilding team IMO. Madden would be very close to Kelly in terms of what he brings, but he's 100 years old now. You re-acquire a Kelly type player in 3 years when we're decent.

131Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:12 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Kovalev with a goal and the SO winner for the Pens tonight...

132Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Kovalev with a goal and the SO winner for the Pens tonight...

That was the second straight shootout attempt he did not try his forehand-to-backhand move, and the second straight goal (the only two shootout goals this year).

133Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:45 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

How's Kovalev doing now?

Wink

1 goal in 6 games... so, par for the course...

134Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:55 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalev was acquired by Pittsburgh? Ahhhhh!

135Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:54 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Have any of the players we traded made any impact to their respective teams ?

So far BM's moves are looking better and better by the day. Trading dead weight for cap space and draft picks.

Oh and that Anderson guy.

136Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:01 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Have any of the players we traded made any impact to their respective teams ?

So far BM's moves are looking better and better by the day. Trading dead weight for cap space and draft picks.

Elliott is helping the Avs tank and Kelly is a support player that I'm assuming is fitting right in?

137Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:05 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:Have any of the players we traded made any impact to their respective teams ?

Looks like Murray knew exactly who to get rid of and for what...

138Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 9 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Looks like Murray knew exactly who to get rid of and for what...

Definitely although he might have traded more if there was interest (ie. Kuba).

Can't sell if no one's buying.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum