GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh

+25
ddt
spader
Hoags
Number Twenty Nine
SensGirl11
Ev
beedub
shabbs
Amnesia021
rooneypoo
SensFan71
wprager
22_4_ever
tim1_2
Riprock
asq2
SDH89
dennycrane
strachattack
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 10]

46Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:38 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

dennycrane wrote:Screw it - that's another 1.25 million bucks that can go towards a new scoreboard.
YUP.

47Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Amnesia021

Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:Quite literally, the worst deadline deal that doesn't include the name Elliott in it. Terrible return, terrible. Might as well have just kept him to mentor the young guys or whatever BS you want to say.

Very unhappy.

I understand where you're coming from, a 7th would be akin to giving him away for nothing... but, it does save a ton of money so in essence, Kovalev was traded for a 7th and cash...

for your entertainment, here are some previous 7th round picks: Patric Hornqvist, Paul Gaustad, Chis Campoli, Marek Svatos (!), Matthew Lombardi, Joe Pavelski, Chistobal Huet... It's possible to get some good value late in the draft...

48Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:39 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:People really need to give their heads a shake here. 1 million saved out of Melnyk's pocket is worth it to the team for sure. Got a 7th, oh well, could be a 6th and The Sens add another pick.

Take it, move on.

People seem to forget that this is a business with real money. Sarcasm

49Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:39 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'm amazed we were able to get that. Something better than nothing, and nothing was looking like what we were going to get.

Come on guys, get real with these expected returns for Kovalev.

50Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:39 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

What would you expect to get for a guy very close to the end of his career, a career for which he is known for taking predictably long periods of dog-fu$#%ing. Someone mentioned before that it's about 1 million off the payroll. THAT's the return you got for Kovalev. Now be happy you got that!

51Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:People really need to give their heads a shake here. 1 million saved out of Melnyk's pocket is worth it to the team for sure. Got a 7th, oh well, could be a 6th and The Sens add another pick.

Take it, move on.

But Neely, you're a smart hockey guy, you watched Kovalev recently. He could be an absolute STEAL for a team willing to pony up a 4th that moves up to a 3rd with conditions. Why would you let him go for a 7th? Just tell the Pens to get real and wait it out - and keep Kovalev if need be. I know it's 1.25 million - and that's a lot of cash, I agree, but we just got molested on this one IMO.

I defer to Murray because I like what he's done...doesn't matter that much I guess (it does though), so we just let it go and concentrate on things that matter...

52Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LOL what a pick...anyways, i don't care what we got, at least it's something

53Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Take it, move on.

are we trying to maximize returns or what? trading kovalev 4 full days before the deadline does not spell that notion at all. Its almost like murray's content with the extra 1st and 2nd rounders from Fisher and kelly and now the rest is just given away for the hell of it. Faster the better right?

I get that kovalev's stock dropped dramatically, but come the Diddle on! The only other explanation is that kovalev wouldn't waive for anyone else except pittsburgh so essentially they might have san jose'd us

54Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

We get a 6th if they win 1 round and Kovalev plays 50% of the games.

55Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:42 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

OTT receive conditional 7th pick for Kovalev. If PIT wins 1st rnd of playoffs and Kovalev plays 50% of games, it's a 6th

56Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:43 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This is addition by subtraction. He had a NTC, and probably only wanted to go to Pittsburgh. Also, there are other players on the table (Hemsky, Penner, etc), but the asking price must be too high. Kovalev is also a big cap hit. He also pretty much sucks (unless he says otherwise).

We got what we could, which is still better than nothing. Everybody freaking out is one HELL of a strange reaction. I assume we all would be happy just to wave goodbye.

57Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:43 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:

Take it, move on.

But Neely, you're a smart hockey guy, you watched Kovalev recently. He could be an absolute STEAL for a team willing to pony up a 4th that moves up to a 3rd with conditions. Why would you let him go for a 7th? Just tell the Pens to get real and wait it out - and keep Kovalev if need be. I know it's 1.25 million - and that's a lot of cash, I agree, but we just got molested on this one IMO.

I defer to Murray because I like what he's done...doesn't matter that much I guess (it does though), so we just let it go and concentrate on things that matter...

I'm also a smart money guy. No other team wanted him and if Malkin and Crosby were not injured, there would have been no one that wanted him.

He's been around for almost 2 decades, you think 10 games is going to fool anyone?

58Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:44 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

a 6th rounder? whoop-ti-dooo!!!!! Way to redeem yourself murray NotWorthy

59Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:44 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This was a business move more than a hockey move if you ask me.

60Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:44 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Just have to remain focused on the positives. Like Colin Greening, Erik Condra, Bobby B and Craig Anderson. A pick is a pick, we'll utilize it as best we can.

61Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:44 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:This was a business move more than a hockey move if you ask me.

Agreed.

62Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:44 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Michallica wrote:

Take it, move on.

are we trying to maximize returns or what? trading kovalev 4 full days before the deadline does not spell that notion at all. Its almost like murray's content with the extra 1st and 2nd rounders from Fisher and kelly and now the rest is just given away for the hell of it. Faster the better right?

I get that kovalev's stock dropped dramatically, but come the Diddle on! The only other explanation is that kovalev wouldn't waive for anyone else except pittsburgh so essentially they might have san jose'd us

Turning that 7th into a 4th is not worth neglecting Phillips and Neil. Turning it into a 4th is a stretch based on this trade anyways.

63Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 4 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

So not having Kovalev on the Sens is worth a 7th round pick? Was it that necessary to trade him? Was there any harm waiting until Monday?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum