GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh

+25
ddt
spader
Hoags
Number Twenty Nine
SensGirl11
Ev
beedub
shabbs
Amnesia021
rooneypoo
SensFan71
wprager
22_4_ever
tim1_2
Riprock
asq2
SDH89
dennycrane
strachattack
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

31Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:34 pm

dennycrane

Veteran
Veteran

If I were a Penguins fan, and I heard that my team was looking to acquire Kovalev, my first reaction would be NO. Why would I want to eat up valuable cap space for a guy who phones it in 4 nights out of 5. Then I think, maybe I take him, but the Sens HAVE to take some money back. Then when I hear that is not an option, I'd want to give up as little as possible.

Nobody here knows what the true market was for Kovalev but it was laugh out loud funny if people thought you would get a 2nd round draft pick for him.

32Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Facepalm

At this rate we'll have to start giving away picks to trade Gonchar and Kuba.

33Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

man talk about lowball, figured at least a 4th

34Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:You guys have your heads up your bums. If he COULD HAVE got a better return, he WOULD HAVE.

Diddle that. He could and should have waited until the 11th hour. The only thing I can figure is that Kovalev would only waive for the Pens - and if that was the case, Diddle you old man, you can stay in Ottawa until the end of the year.

I no longer have confidence in Murray dealing Phillips. :crossarms:

35Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:murray..... Facepalm

at this point, I want Phillips signed ASAP because murray is just gonna trade him for a 9th round pick

Which would mean we'd be trading for a pre-2011 pick, from one of those years when they still had 9 rounds. And that would be a potentially bad move, in my opinion, considering that those drafts have already happened.

Razz

But yes, I hope we sign Phillips.

36Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

at this point, I want Phillips signed ASAP because murray is just gonna trade him for a 9th round pick

This is just silly. We're getting a 5th and if there's a bidding war, you can add a conditional 6th to that 5th pick.

37Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

NEELY wrote:
SDH89 wrote:Is that honestly the best we could do? Should have just hung on to him....

Why?

It was only a year and a half ago that Murray gave him 10 million, if I were him, I would have just saved face and let him walk at the end of the year if the return was going to be a 7th round pick. I'm probably also in the minority, but I think Kovalev's "lackluster" play was overblown here, he had a rough start to the year because of his knee surgery, yet he didn't get a pass like Michalek did.

38Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

no I think he could have yielded better than a Cussing 7th rounder if we waited till deadline day....

39Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
OTT receives conditional 7th round pick for Kovalev. If PIT wins 1st round of playoffs and Kovalev plays 50 per cent of games, it's a 6th.
5 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Oh well, that makes it all better.

The 'Not a Healthy Scratch' clause.

40Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:36 pm

strachattack

strachattack
Rookie
Rookie

NEELY wrote:So people are unhappy? We should just held on to him?

Option A. Pay Kovalev over 1 million the rest of the way and get nothing for him
Option B. Get w/e you can for Kovalev and save 1 million plus of real cash?

Hmmmm

He was obviously pretty close to worthless and only a desperate team in need of a winger would take him. I thought he would get more too but this shows you how little Kovalev is thought of.

Like Ruutu, bigger things to worry about, move on and move forward.

I agree. If there was a thought it would improve by Monday i'm sure they would have held on to him. The potential risk is that if they waited maybe they could have got a 5th but it's just as likely the interested party would have gone in another direction and acquired someone else leaving Ottawa with nothing to show for Kovalev. Not worth the risk in waiting.

41Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:36 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

rooneypoo wrote:

Which would mean we'd be trading for a pre-2011 pick, from one of those years when they still had 9 rounds. And that would be a potentially bad move, in my opinion, considering that those drafts have already happened.

Razz

But yes, I hope we sign Phillips.

there lies the joke doctor...there lies the joke.

42Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:37 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Screw it - that's another 1.25 million bucks that can go towards a new scoreboard.

43Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:37 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

People really need to give their heads a shake here. 1 million saved out of Melnyk's pocket is worth it to the team for sure. Got a 7th, oh well, could be a 6th and The Sens add another pick.

Take it, move on.

44Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:38 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SDH89 wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SDH89 wrote:Is that honestly the best we could do? Should have just hung on to him....

Why?

It was only a year and a half ago that Murray gave him 10 million, if I were him, I would have just saved face and let him walk at the end of the year if the return was going to be a 7th round pick. I'm probably also in the minority, but I think Kovalev's "lackluster" play was overblown here, he had a rough start to the year because of his knee surgery, yet he didn't get a pass like Michalek did.

Saved face? No way keeping Kovalev would have saved face.

Like I said, got a 7th, maybe a 6th, move on and deal with what matters. Phillips and Neil are big decisions and actually matter.

45Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:38 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

NEELY wrote:People really need to give their heads a shake here. 1 million saved out of Melnyk's pocket is worth it to the team for sure. Got a 7th, oh well, could be a 6th and The Sens add another pick.

Take it, move on.

I like you already

46Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:38 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

dennycrane wrote:Screw it - that's another 1.25 million bucks that can go towards a new scoreboard.
YUP.

47Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie

SpezDispenser wrote:Quite literally, the worst deadline deal that doesn't include the name Elliott in it. Terrible return, terrible. Might as well have just kept him to mentor the young guys or whatever BS you want to say.

Very unhappy.

I understand where you're coming from, a 7th would be akin to giving him away for nothing... but, it does save a ton of money so in essence, Kovalev was traded for a 7th and cash...

for your entertainment, here are some previous 7th round picks: Patric Hornqvist, Paul Gaustad, Chis Campoli, Marek Svatos (!), Matthew Lombardi, Joe Pavelski, Chistobal Huet... It's possible to get some good value late in the draft...

48Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh - Page 3 Empty Re: Kovalev acquired by Pittsburgh Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:39 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:People really need to give their heads a shake here. 1 million saved out of Melnyk's pocket is worth it to the team for sure. Got a 7th, oh well, could be a 6th and The Sens add another pick.

Take it, move on.

People seem to forget that this is a business with real money. Sarcasm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum