GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does Fisher's trade signify a Rebuild?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mike Fisher was always a big part of the Senators. As the years went on and we reached this nightmare place we’re in now, he became an even bigger part of the Senators - and not in a positive way. Fisher would go through major stretches of the year ice cold. Very few goals, very few points, oft injured, couldn’t initiate contact - basically useless out there. So, why keep him? That’s the question that has to be asked to people who have an emotional connection with him - or maybe it’s the question to ask anybody unhappy with this move.

Fisher averaged just under 20 minutes of ice time a night, he would get power-play time, penalty killing time, even strength time and yet the best he could do was 14 goals and 25 assists for 4.2 million is cap space and 4 million in actual salary (Fisher’s salary decreases to 3 million in his final year, making him much more attractive to a budget team like Nashville). Is anyone suggesting that Chris Kelly couldn’t do more with that amount of ice time/PP time etc.? And then if Kelly moves up, couldn’t Jesse Winchester take his place? Then couldn’t Zach Smith take his place on line 4? The answer is yes, yes and yes.

So the question remains: is this a rebuild move, or is this just a smart hockey decision? Get back an asset that you can use going forward, the Nashville 1st round pick. Use it to draft a big, scoring forward, or use it to get the player you want in the top 5, or use it to try to acquire some young, strong talent up front. Any way you slice it, it opens up money, a roster spot and a sense of ‘it’s not good enough’. And it’s not good enough - and that goes for Chris Phillips as well. As the former core of this team, we needed those guys to step up more than they ever have in their careers, instead, we hear of a bunch of guys who dislike another coach. Another coach? When does it cease to be coaches’ fault and start to be players’ fault? Right now.

Rebuild my foot, the Sens now have an admirable chunk of money to use when they see fit. Does that mean go out and spend it all in one swoop? No, of course not. It means you wait until the opportunity presents itself and you take cap dumps - much like Atlanta did to Chicago. You get good players and you simply take on cap dollars. It works and it happens a lot. There will be several teams, including the Flyers, the Devils and the Flames who just won’t have any room to maneuver unless they shed salary. Does this mean the Sens should help them? No, but they should listen to what those teams are willing to dump. Who knows, it could be someone like Daniel Briere, a highly skilled player than would slide right into an Ottawa ‘rebuild’.

What Bryan Murray did yesterday is very admirable, he moved one of the most beloved figures attributed to the Senators - but Mike Fisher’s worth to the club on ice was much, much less than the memories that linger in fans heads. He moved a guy with a lot of miles on his body, who frankly was useless for long, long stretches and replaced him with the wonderful option of cap space and a 1st round pick- which can be used for a bevy of things. The cap space opened up can provide the Sens an opportunity to overspend on a real number one goalie - a Bryzgalov that we pay 6.5 X 4 (don’t worry, Lehner needs 2 more years in the AHL, then I want him to back up the new number one for two years), or Vokoun, or they investigate the market for goalies via trade. But one thing’s for certain, this is where Fisher’s money needs to go. Why? Because with the new crop of youngsters coming into the Sens lineup - and really, now’s the time, there will be astonishing mistakes. Rundblad and Cowen will likely be given big minutes to chew up, which will mean some excitement, but will also mean some big mistakes. If you hand Brian Elliott another chance, he’ll be eaten alive. If you promote Lehner too quickly, he’ll be eaten alive, so you go out and you do what you’ve only done once: bring in an elite level goalie who can cover up some of these mistakes as the team grows.

People call it a rebuild, the newspapers scream it, the callers into the Team 1200 are in 6s and 7s. I call it a wonderful opportunity to change some of the stagnant pieces of this team - and it all started with Mike Fisher.

Last edited by SpezDispenser on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Share this post on: reddit

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:37 pm by Riprock

Well, you can't keep holding down the young guys because you are signing FA's... something has to give.

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:46 pm by PTFlea

Dash wrote:Well, you can't keep holding down the young guys because you are signing FA's... something has to give.

I'm willing to allow for 2 of Butler/Regin/Foligno to make it into the top six, one of them needs to be a bottom 6 for this team while we bring in an NHL experienced goal scorer so we don't score 98 goals next year as well.

That's my opinion. If we don't, we'd better have one of the three Vezina nominees in net (we should anyway) because we're not gonna score very often. And, yes, a rebuild is a rebuild, but when you don't have many forward prospects, you need to accelerate it a little IMO.

Michalek - Spezza - SNIPER ACQUISITION
Alfredsson - Foligno - Alfredsson

Regin plays on line 3

Or switch it around with Foligno. Or Alfredsson for that matter. The point is, I'm not sure it's too much to ask to have a sniper brought in + an A1 goalie. I'm not asking for more than 2 major acquisitions - which should be fine considering how much money we're shedding right now.

ddt

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:46 pm by ddt

SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:I think you gotta use the guys you got in the system:

Mcihalek-Spezza-Butler
Foligno-Regin-Alfedsson
Smith-Winchester-Neil
Greening-O'Brien-Condra

for example

Of course this is just my opinion, but I think there's one hell of a top 6 coming this summer. Not sure who moves out of the top 6 to make it happen, but I think it's gonna happen.

It had better be one hell of a top 6 to transform us from the joke that we were this year. Even with a solid first line guy and Bryz/Vokoun, it would be a stretch.

tim1_2

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:47 pm by tim1_2

SpezDispenser wrote:

We're cloning Alfie! Sweet!

ddt

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:53 pm by ddt

SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:Well, you can't keep holding down the young guys because you are signing FA's... something has to give.

I'm willing to allow for 2 of Butler/Regin/Foligno to make it into the top six, one of them needs to be a bottom 6 for this team while we bring in an NHL experienced goal scorer so we don't score 98 goals next year as well.

That's my opinion. If we don't, we'd better have one of the three Vezina nominees in net (we should anyway) because we're not gonna score very often. And, yes, a rebuild is a rebuild, but when you don't have many forward prospects, you need to accelerate it a little IMO.

Regin plays on line 3

Or switch it around with Foligno. Or Alfredsson for that matter. The point is, I'm not sure it's too much to ask to have a sniper brought in + an A1 goalie. I'm not asking for more than 2 major acquisitions - which should be fine considering how much money we're shedding right now.

If Melnyk and Murray/whoever we get as GM want to spend money chasing dreams in FA land, that's their business. But if they trade picks/prospects to try and make themselves better a la Toronto, I'm done with this loser team. Cause don't kid yourself, those cap-strained teams that we're supposed to fleece according to your plan will want picks and prospects back.

Oglethorpe

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:59 pm by Oglethorpe

All I want out of this summer's Free Agent market is Bryzgalov. I don't care how much he costs, he needs to be signed to a 4 year deal. Resign Elliott to a QO and let Lehner have a full season as the starter in Bingo. Let's solve the goaltending problem once and for all.

ddt

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:04 pm by ddt

Oglethorpe wrote:All I want out of this summer's Free Agent market is Bryzgalov. I don't care how much he costs, he needs to be signed to a 4 year deal. Resign Elliott to a QO and let Lehner have a full season as the starter in Bingo. Let's solve the goaltending problem once and for all.

Now that's a plan I can get behind.Get a steady vet to cover up for a young/nervous team trying to find it's way, and at 4 years he should still be around when we start making noise again.

Hoags

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 pm by Hoags

You go after the Leino's, Flieschmann's, Upshall's etc. not big names like Richards.

First we need an idea of who in Bingo is ready to step in, we should know after this season. Sign cheap/reasonable FAs to fill any holes.

Our D is pretty much set.

Sign someone like Bryzgalov too no matter the cost.

PTFlea

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:10 pm by PTFlea

ddt wrote:
It had better be one hell of a top 6 to transform us from the joke that we were this year. Even with a solid first line guy and Bryz/Vokoun, it would be a stretch.

A stretch for what? We're not making the playoffs next year, the year after next is possible, but unlikely. Doesn't change the fact that we desperately need a sniper for the top six. We simply can't rely on Foligno, Regin, Alfredsson or Butler to make an impact, we need some insurance even if we're not 'planning' on making the playoffs.

An elite goalie is also necessary - 100%. The gong show that was this year had a lot of causes, one of the biggest was our goalies inability to stop a friggin beachball. Changes! Bring me a sniper + an elite goalie, the rest of the spots you can fill with kids.

PTFlea

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:12 pm by PTFlea

Hoags wrote:You go after the Leino's, Flieschmann's, Upshall's etc. not big names like Richards.

First we need an idea of who in Bingo is ready to step in, we should know after this season. Sign cheap/reasonable FAs to fill any holes.

Our D is pretty much set.

Sign someone like Bryzgalov too no matter the cost.

Only Butler can step in and have an impact - maybe the 1st rounder we draft as well. No one else on Bingo can step in and score - and if you don't address that, you have a good chance of hurting the development of a lot of the kids when the Sens go 3-79.

SeawaySensFan

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:14 pm by SeawaySensFan

Hoags wrote:You go after the Leino's, Flieschmann's, Upshall's etc. not big names like Richards.

I've been saying that for months.

PTFlea

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:17 pm by PTFlea

I will say that I agree, the goalie is the most important piece we could possibly add. If we skip the sniper and keep the kids + whatever the heck we already have, it is INTEGRAL that we get an elite goalie.

Hoags

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:18 pm by Hoags

SpezDispenser wrote:
Only Butler can step in and have an impact - maybe the 1st rounder we draft as well. No one else on Bingo can step in and score - and if you don't address that, you have a good chance of hurting the development of a lot of the kids when the Sens go 3-79.

Wick might ? I dunno he'll get a shot at some point.

Unless Alfie moves down we've got 1 more spot in the top-6 assuming one of Regin/Foligno will move down like they have the last 2 years. One of these guys has to have a breakthrough season next year.

There you sign someone like Jussi Jokinen or one of the other players unless we pull off a trade.

Hopefully we'll get a coach who will connect better with the players than Clouston and get some of the players to overperform rather than underperform.

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:18 pm by Guest

SeawaySensFan wrote:

1st time I've heard you say this.

SeawaySensFan

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:26 pm by SeawaySensFan

DirtyDave wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

1st time I've heard you say this.

How can you know what I've been saying for months if you haven't been on for weeks?

PTFlea

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:29 pm by PTFlea

Hoags wrote:Wick might ? I dunno he'll get a shot at some point.

Unless Alfie moves down we've got 1 more spot in the top-6 assuming one of Regin/Foligno will move down like they have the last 2 years. One of these guys has to have a breakthrough season next year.

There you sign someone like Jussi Jokinen or one of the other players unless we pull off a trade.

Hopefully we'll get a coach who will connect better with the players than Clouston and get some of the players to overperform rather than underperform.

Perhaps. I think the coaching change will help for sure. As for Wick, he needs another year to bulk up and prove again that he can do it in the AHL before he gets an extended shot IMO.

Maybe someone like a Leino or Laich - as long as we get an elite goalie.

stempniaksen

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:34 pm by stempniaksen

Dream situation would be Bryzgalov/Anderson/Howard + Laich/J.Jokinen in my mind. We have enough young pieces that slot in and fill the rest of the lineup.

PTFlea

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:59 pm by PTFlea

stempniaksen wrote:Dream situation would be Bryzgalov/Anderson/Howard + Laich/J.Jokinen in my mind. We have enough young pieces that slot in and fill the rest of the lineup.

For me, the dream situation (other than Brad Richards) is Bryzgalov + Laich/Leino/Jokinen - but less Jokinen than the other two IMO. Bryzgalov is almost the only piece I can see being a factor other than Vokoun. Anderson is a great goalie, but IMO, he's simply not ready to be in net for a rebuilding team, he'll be hammered. Howard...I like him actually...inconsistent and he wouldn't have Lidstrom et. all. Tough call there.

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum