GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does Fisher's trade signify a Rebuild?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Mike Fisher was always a big part of the Senators. As the years went on and we reached this nightmare place we’re in now, he became an even bigger part of the Senators - and not in a positive way. Fisher would go through major stretches of the year ice cold. Very few goals, very few points, oft injured, couldn’t initiate contact - basically useless out there. So, why keep him? That’s the question that has to be asked to people who have an emotional connection with him - or maybe it’s the question to ask anybody unhappy with this move.

Fisher averaged just under 20 minutes of ice time a night, he would get power-play time, penalty killing time, even strength time and yet the best he could do was 14 goals and 25 assists for 4.2 million is cap space and 4 million in actual salary (Fisher’s salary decreases to 3 million in his final year, making him much more attractive to a budget team like Nashville). Is anyone suggesting that Chris Kelly couldn’t do more with that amount of ice time/PP time etc.? And then if Kelly moves up, couldn’t Jesse Winchester take his place? Then couldn’t Zach Smith take his place on line 4? The answer is yes, yes and yes.

So the question remains: is this a rebuild move, or is this just a smart hockey decision? Get back an asset that you can use going forward, the Nashville 1st round pick. Use it to draft a big, scoring forward, or use it to get the player you want in the top 5, or use it to try to acquire some young, strong talent up front. Any way you slice it, it opens up money, a roster spot and a sense of ‘it’s not good enough’. And it’s not good enough - and that goes for Chris Phillips as well. As the former core of this team, we needed those guys to step up more than they ever have in their careers, instead, we hear of a bunch of guys who dislike another coach. Another coach? When does it cease to be coaches’ fault and start to be players’ fault? Right now.

Rebuild my foot, the Sens now have an admirable chunk of money to use when they see fit. Does that mean go out and spend it all in one swoop? No, of course not. It means you wait until the opportunity presents itself and you take cap dumps - much like Atlanta did to Chicago. You get good players and you simply take on cap dollars. It works and it happens a lot. There will be several teams, including the Flyers, the Devils and the Flames who just won’t have any room to maneuver unless they shed salary. Does this mean the Sens should help them? No, but they should listen to what those teams are willing to dump. Who knows, it could be someone like Daniel Briere, a highly skilled player than would slide right into an Ottawa ‘rebuild’.

What Bryan Murray did yesterday is very admirable, he moved one of the most beloved figures attributed to the Senators - but Mike Fisher’s worth to the club on ice was much, much less than the memories that linger in fans heads. He moved a guy with a lot of miles on his body, who frankly was useless for long, long stretches and replaced him with the wonderful option of cap space and a 1st round pick- which can be used for a bevy of things. The cap space opened up can provide the Sens an opportunity to overspend on a real number one goalie - a Bryzgalov that we pay 6.5 X 4 (don’t worry, Lehner needs 2 more years in the AHL, then I want him to back up the new number one for two years), or Vokoun, or they investigate the market for goalies via trade. But one thing’s for certain, this is where Fisher’s money needs to go. Why? Because with the new crop of youngsters coming into the Sens lineup - and really, now’s the time, there will be astonishing mistakes. Rundblad and Cowen will likely be given big minutes to chew up, which will mean some excitement, but will also mean some big mistakes. If you hand Brian Elliott another chance, he’ll be eaten alive. If you promote Lehner too quickly, he’ll be eaten alive, so you go out and you do what you’ve only done once: bring in an elite level goalie who can cover up some of these mistakes as the team grows.

People call it a rebuild, the newspapers scream it, the callers into the Team 1200 are in 6s and 7s. I call it a wonderful opportunity to change some of the stagnant pieces of this team - and it all started with Mike Fisher.

Last edited by SpezDispenser on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Share this post on: reddit

Riprock

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:50 pm by Riprock

Yes.

He's not being traded so that the GM goes out and replaces him with another player. The sace is being made to give to future stars that the Sens hope to develop, like O'Brien, Smith, Butler, etc.

SeawaySensFan

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:21 pm by SeawaySensFan

Those calling it a rebuild are doing so because of wishful thinking. You have some that have a real infatuation with the draft and draft picks and want us to tank for about 3 years to be able to draft as many potential stars as possible, without considering they are potential busts as well. Nor do they factor in the impact on revenues that years of mediocrity will bring.

Or, you have the TML cheerleaders at TSN and Sportsnet who want us to be mediocre to elevate their team and their hero/saviour Brian "Genius" Jurke.

I think the intent is to engineer a Philly-style worst to first turnaround. Draft well and sign the right players at the right price and it will happen.

PTFlea

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:22 pm by PTFlea

SeawaySensFan wrote:Those calling it a rebuild are doing so because of wishful thinking. You have some that have a real infatuation with the draft and draft picks and want us to tank for about 3 years to be able to draft as many potential stars as possible, without considering they are potential busts as well. Nor do they factor in the impact on revenues that years of mediocrity will bring.

Or, you have the TML cheerleaders at TSN and Sportsnet who want us to be mediocre to elevate their team and their hero/saviour Brian "Genius" Jurke.

I think the intent is to engineer a Philly-style worst to first turnaround. Draft well and sign the right players at the right price and it will happen.

Yes. Forwards obviously, as we want Rundblad and Cowen to play full time next year, but we have some precise purchasing/trading to do. If Murray and Melnyk really have a plan, this is still very much a re-tool.

SeawaySensFan

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:30 pm by SeawaySensFan

SpezDispenser wrote:Yes. Forwards obviously, as we want Rundblad and Cowen to play full time next year, but we have some precise purchasing/trading to do. If Murray and Melnyk really have a plan, this is still very much a re-tool.

Absolutely. As I said before, you go low-rent on a couple of decent forwards and bank the remaining cap space for the upcoming deadline if we're in the mix. There is so much cap space going forward, I see no reason why we can't add a couple of pieces and still have tons left for Karlsson, etc. down the line.

Ev

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:33 pm by Ev

Boo. We need to tank next year and get Nail Yakupov.

Ev

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:34 pm by Ev

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Yes. Forwards obviously, as we want Rundblad and Cowen to play full time next year, but we have some precise purchasing/trading to do. If Murray and Melnyk really have a plan, this is still very much a re-tool.

Absolutely. As I said before, you go low-rent on a couple of decent forwards and bank the remaining cap space for the upcoming deadline if we're in the mix. There is so much cap space going forward, I see no reason why we can't add a couple of pieces and still have tons left for Karlsson, etc. down the line.

Murray was instructed to SHED SALARY. That means they want to have as much cap space as possible, because they don't want to spend actual money. They're not going to unload all these guys just to sign some more overpriced free agents.

SeawaySensFan

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:36 pm by SeawaySensFan

Big Ev wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Murray was instructed to SHED SALARY. That means they want to have as much cap space as possible, because they don't want to spend actual money. They're not going to unload all these guys just to sign some more overpriced free agents.

Thanks for clearing that up.

22_4_ever

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:40 pm by 22_4_ever

Big Ev wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I disagree with the statement that they are not going to unload all these guys just to sign some more overpriced free agents. That's a bold statement to make unless you're working in the front office.

I can see them shedding the salary and in turn giving the new GM whoever it is as much room to make acquisitions they see fit. Similar to what Toronto did a couple of years ago before Burke was hired. The acting GM was instructed to she salary to free up as much space for the new GM.

If it's a rebuild then yes, they will not be using the $$$ for FA's. But I don't believe it's a full rebuild. I think it's something similar to what Philly did, as others have posted, and given the right player with the right fit they will spend their available money.

tim1_2

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:21 pm by tim1_2

22_4_ever wrote:
I disagree with the statement that they are not going to unload all these guys just to sign some more overpriced free agents. That's a bold statement to make unless you're working in the front office.

I can see them shedding the salary and in turn giving the new GM whoever it is as much room to make acquisitions they see fit. Similar to what Toronto did a couple of years ago before Burke was hired. The acting GM was instructed to she salary to free up as much space for the new GM.

If it's a rebuild then yes, they will not be using the $$$ for FA's. But I don't believe it's a full rebuild. I think it's something similar to what Philly did, as others have posted, and given the right player with the right fit they will spend their available money.

I agree 100% with 22_4_ever. They will certainly be selective as to who they fork over cash to, but if they see someone being a good fit, they’ll pursue them on the FA market. Melnyk is willing to spend money if it’ll improve the on-ice product. I think he recognizes the need to ice at least a semi-competitive product in Ottawa, so we’ll likely see some FA action.

SensGirl11

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:34 pm by SensGirl11

Great blog, good points, I have to agree with pretty much everything you wrote here.

This move was 100% necessary and 100% the perfect time to do it to get the most in return for Fisher. Had we waited until next season this time, it wouldn't be as pretty.

His time had come to leave here, same with Phillips, same with Kuba (I might still give him a mulligan for this year, not sure yet though...) Leclaire, to a lesser extent Elliott (he probably deserves another year at $600K or so AS BACKUP ONLY!!!!)

We need to inject youth into this lineup asap. The vets just can't do it anymore. The only positives I see with the way this season has gone would be the following;

Chris Kelly taking Fisher's job with absolutely no problems since last season, especially this year he's really stepped up to a different level. (he deserves an A)

Jason Spezza has been solid, his maturity is coming out more and more and his leadership as well. He's someone I would definitely keep to build around. The older he gets, the more experience he gets, the better he gets. He's a Center, he'll turn the puck over, people have to deal with it - look at all other number 1 C's in the league...they all have quite a few turnovers I'm sure.

Chris Campoli has been very solid and consistent this season, I think he's getting better and better.

Brian Lee finally showed his worth, might as well keep him now or use him in a trade.

EK is just getting better all around, he had some rough moments, but he's still a young man. He's getting better defensively which is good to see. I can't wait to see him with his steady D partner, whoever that might be.

Zach Smith is showing that he might be more than a 4th line grinder...time will tell on this one. He's definitely getting more and more intriguing.

PTFlea

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:37 pm by PTFlea

Glad to see most of us on the same page. The word rebuild gets tossed around *way* too much in regards to the Sens. Talk to me about rebuilding if Spezza + Alfie go, then we're up to our ears in rebuild. Right now, we have weapons up front in Spezza, Alfie, Michalek. Some nice, young guys who desperately need ice time: Foligno, Regin, Butler. A great bottom 6 IMO, spearheaded by Winchester, Neil, Z.Smith, Kelly. A veteran, All-Star puck-mover in Gonchar, a young, electriv D-man in Karlsson, Campoli who's stepping it up, nice depth in Carkner and Lee and a host of young bucks eager to come into Ottawa and claim a spot (Wiercioch, Rundblad, Cowen, Gryba etc.).

A few simple, smart moves and the Sens could be quite competitive next year. Call it addition by subtraction (I apologize to Phillips, Fisher, Ruutu, Kovalev, Kuba, Lecalire, but it is).

Ev

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:45 pm by Ev

SpezDispenser wrote:Glad to see most of us on the same page. The word rebuild gets tossed around *way* too much in regards to the Sens. Talk to me about rebuilding if Spezza + Alfie go, then we're up to our ears in rebuild. Right now, we have weapons up front in Spezza, Alfie, Michalek. Some nice, young guys who desperately need ice time: Foligno, Regin, Butler. A great bottom 6 IMO, spearheaded by Winchester, Neil, Z.Smith, Kelly. A veteran, All-Star puck-mover in Gonchar, a young, electriv D-man in Karlsson, Campoli who's stepping it up, nice depth in Carkner and Lee and a host of young bucks eager to come into Ottawa and claim a spot (Wiercioch, Rundblad, Cowen, Gryba etc.).

A few simple, smart moves and the Sens could be quite competitive next year. Call it addition by subtraction (I apologize to Phillips, Fisher, Ruutu, Kovalev, Kuba, Lecalire, but it is).

This is like the past summer with all this talk about "how good this team will be".

Murray makes 1 move to get rid of Fisher and now you're all denying that we need an almost complete overhaul. This team WILL NOT be competitive next year. We don't have the power up front or the goaltending for that to happen.

The word rebuild gets tossed around too much because it's true! This team is in desperate need of a rebuild! You were even saying that before the Fisher trade, SpezD!

PTFlea

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:12 pm by PTFlea

Big Ev wrote:
This is like the past summer with all this talk about "how good this team will be".

Murray makes 1 move to get rid of Fisher and now you're all denying that we need an almost complete overhaul. This team WILL NOT be competitive next year. We don't have the power up front or the goaltending for that to happen.

The word rebuild gets tossed around too much because it's true! This team is in desperate need of a rebuild! You were even saying that before the Fisher trade, SpezD!

We chatted about this very thing, you and I. I wanted to cut the 'sleepy' core away, that included Fisher, Phillips - and frankly I won't be crying if Alfie's included in there. These guys are tired and old, and we need to replace them with youth. It can't get any worse, we're rebuilding anyway, now I want to see a couple of smart moves - including an elite goalie - I never wavered from that - and I also never once wavered from getting a sniping winger. Those pieces combined with the young D-men coming in will make us a lot like the Hurricanes of LAST year, when they were a lot of fun to watch, but faded a little down the stretch to draft 7th overall.

I see the Sens following the same path as Carolina. Competitive next year, ultimately missing and getting a top 10 pick, then even more competitive the year after - like Carolina this year - having a chance at the post-season, then in year 3, we get a taste of the post-season. Then year 4 and 5 we begin to flex our competitive muscles and begin being contenders again.

That's how I see it.

EDIT: Although, I could see us being a little more competitive than what I just spelled out and possible get into 8th after next year.

shabbs

Post Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:34 pm by shabbs

SpezDispenser wrote:the best he could do was 14 goals and 25 assists
In 2009/10 he had 25 goals and 28 assists for 53 points.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1317&hubname=nhl-predators

Let's not sell him too short now. The body is not even cold yet...

Wink

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum