GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Melnyk Speaks/Globe says Rebuild is coming

+22
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
asq2
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
rooneypoo
TheAvatar
Riprock
sandysensfan
jawal
Ev
dennycrane
LethalLehner
shabbs
wprager
Number Twenty Nine
LeCaptain
SDH89
SensHulk
spader
PTFlea
26 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 13]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2011/01/22/16997466.html

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk broke his silence Saturday night, assuring Ottawa hockey fans he has a strategy to improve his struggling team and bring a Stanley Cup home.

Speaking from his home in Barbados, Melnyk told the Ottawa Sun that GM Bryan Murray and coach Cory Clouston aren’t going to be fired before the end of the season and a plan is being put in place to get the club back on track.

Melnyk is still confident the Senators can make the right decisions quickly and return to being a Stanley Cup contender. He wouldn’t expand on what changes might be made.

“There is no one, no one, on this planet that bleeds more than I do for this team, as a fan and as an owner,” said Melnyk. “I am more disappointed in the performance of the team than any fan could imagine. The time has come to make some of the most difficult decisions that an owner can make. Do we need a game-changer? I believe we do. I’ve lost sleep. Bryan Murray loses sleep. Cory Clouston loses sleep. Everybody who loves this team doesn’t sleep well at night.”

Melnyk decided to speak to the Sun because of fan outcry and disappointment with the club’s five-game losing skid, which hit another low with a humiliating 7-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens Friday night at Scotiabank Place.

Fans have been calling for changes and Melnyk said he’ll do whatever it takes at the appropriate time to get this ship turned around. He said those are questions he’s asking himself and would at a later date provide more information on the direction he’ll take.

“We all are on the same page when it comes to wanting to win,” said Melnyk. “How we do it is now the biggest question that we need answered and we spend every hour of every day trying to figure it how to stop the dam and do it. We’re unhappy.

“We’re going to do what it takes to bring the Stanley Cup to Ottawa, whether it takes one, three or five years. It will happen. You have my commitment.”

Melnyk said he speaks with Murray on a regular basis to keep updated on day-to-day business and will not make changes in the front office with the contracts of both Murray and Clouston expiring at the end of the season.

Melnyk didn’t given an indication on what will happen to Murray or Clouston.

“At this time, it makes no sense to make managerial or coaching changes,” said Melnyk. “We’ll let the season play itself out and look forward to building for the future.”

While Melnyk didn’t want to get into details, he definitively stated there is a vision for the future.

“Don’t think for one second that we’re not putting a plan in place that’s methodical, calculated and with a lot of forethought to win a Stanley Cup,” said Melnyk. “The reason I’ve been quiet is I’ve been working on a plan. That plan is now in motion.”

Asked what his message is to Ottawa hockey fans who have been watching the painful slide, Melnyk insisted he remains confident the Senators can return to glory.

“I’m very optimistic going forward. We’ve got good prospects in the organization. We’ve drafted well. We’ve got a good pipeline of players and it can only get better,” said Melnyk.

Last edited by SpezDispenser on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2011/01/22/16997466.html

Senators owner Eugene Melnyk broke his silence Saturday night, assuring Ottawa hockey fans he has a strategy to improve his struggling team and bring a Stanley Cup home.

Speaking from his home in Barbados, Melnyk told the Ottawa Sun that GM Bryan Murray and coach Cory Clouston aren’t going to be fired before the end of the season and a plan is being put in place to get the club back on track.

Melnyk is still confident the Senators can make the right decisions quickly and return to being a Stanley Cup contender. He wouldn’t expand on what changes might be made.

“There is no one, no one, on this planet that bleeds more than I do for this team, as a fan and as an owner,” said Melnyk. “I am more disappointed in the performance of the team than any fan could imagine. The time has come to make some of the most difficult decisions that an owner can make. Do we need a game-changer? I believe we do. I’ve lost sleep. Bryan Murray loses sleep. Cory Clouston loses sleep. Everybody who loves this team doesn’t sleep well at night.”

Melnyk decided to speak to the Sun because of fan outcry and disappointment with the club’s five-game losing skid, which hit another low with a humiliating 7-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens Friday night at Scotiabank Place.

Fans have been calling for changes and Melnyk said he’ll do whatever it takes at the appropriate time to get this ship turned around. He said those are questions he’s asking himself and would at a later date provide more information on the direction he’ll take.

“We all are on the same page when it comes to wanting to win,” said Melnyk. “How we do it is now the biggest question that we need answered and we spend every hour of every day trying to figure it how to stop the dam and do it. We’re unhappy.

“We’re going to do what it takes to bring the Stanley Cup to Ottawa, whether it takes one, three or five years. It will happen. You have my commitment.”

Melnyk said he speaks with Murray on a regular basis to keep updated on day-to-day business and will not make changes in the front office with the contracts of both Murray and Clouston expiring at the end of the season.

Melnyk didn’t given an indication on what will happen to Murray or Clouston.

“At this time, it makes no sense to make managerial or coaching changes,” said Melnyk. “We’ll let the season play itself out and look forward to building for the future.”

While Melnyk didn’t want to get into details, he definitively stated there is a vision for the future.

“Don’t think for one second that we’re not putting a plan in place that’s methodical, calculated and with a lot of forethought to win a Stanley Cup,” said Melnyk. “The reason I’ve been quiet is I’ve been working on a plan. That plan is now in motion.

Asked what his message is to Ottawa hockey fans who have been watching the painful slide, Melnyk insisted he remains confident the Senators can return to glory.

“I’m very optimistic going forward. We’ve got good prospects in the organization. We’ve drafted well. We’ve got a good pipeline of players and it can only get better,” said Melnyk.

So, from that we can assume that he's either spoken to Tim Murray about taking over, or has lined someone up to take the GM spot once the season is complete. Right?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

If he's talking about tanking, then yea the wheels are definitely in motion

SDH89

SDH89
Veteran
Veteran

Ho hum, didn't really mention anything worthwhile.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Good news. They're just gonna ride this year out.
That boy on my avatar knows a few things about game changing Thinking

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Apparently, we're going all the way this year....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SDH89 wrote:Ho hum, didn't really mention anything worthwhile.

Sure he did. He said he's been reading these boards. You just have to read between the lines.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Staying the course... man this is gonna be one long 2nd half of the season...

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

shabbs wrote:Staying the course... man this is gonna be one long 2nd half of the season...

Sounds like Eugene wants to drive the tank bus.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

LethalLehner wrote:
shabbs wrote:Staying the course... man this is gonna be one long 2nd half of the season...

Melnyk: "The wheels (of the tank bus) are in motion! We're going all the way (to the bottom)!!!"

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
LethalLehner wrote:

Melnyk: "The wheels (of the tank bus) are in motion! We're going all the way (to the bottom)!!!"

The wheels on the bus go round and round ...

... are there any top prospects that rhyme with "town"?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

But it's exactly what is necessary.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:

But it's exactly what is necessary.
Agreed.

This made my morning. I saw the thread and was worried that he was going to say that he'd given Murray the go ahead to acquire a sniper to salvage the season.

Kudos to Melnyk for doing what needs to be done. Also, firing Clouston now would have been an easy way to appease the fanbase. I am glad he's letting the season play out. We ought to have a nice pick out of this for sure now Smile

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

It also sends a message to the room that the owner is empowering the head coach, if only briefly. If a player was waiting for the coach to get canned, they will have to wait a while longer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 13]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum