GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Preds acquire Mike Fisher for 2011 1st Round Pick + Condition 2012 pick!

+31
Straight Shooter
Riprock
Hockeyhero22000
CockRoche
LeCaptain
stempniaksen
Ev
Hoags
sandysensfan
Jordo
SensGirl11
Number Twenty Nine
TheAvatar
andyman998
rooneypoo
spader
wprager
22_4_ever
asq2
jawal
SDH89
SensFan71
tim1_2
beedub
shabbs
SensHulk
Hobiesens
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
dennycrane
PTFlea
35 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 25]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

CockRoche wrote:
shabbs wrote:
dennycrane wrote:They could have squeezed a little more perhaps but I'm glad the organization did the right thing and sent him to a place where he could be happy.
We would have had to take salary coming back then... this is the ultimate. Picks only, no salary.

Hopefully the Preds crash and burn now to improve our pick.

Haha. I think I just counted 5 posts in row from you hoping for Nashville to implode.

It would be nice; but I can't see it happening.
Dare to dream...

CockRoche

Veteran
Veteran

dennycrane wrote:As I understand it, there is no pick if Nashville misses the playoffs or loses in the first round. Am I right?

From the Sun:

The conditional pick is Nashville’s third-round selection if the Predators win one round in the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs, and turns into a second-rounder in 2012 if the team wins two-or-more rounds.

Yuck. Not a fan of this trade, the more I delve into it.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

CockRoche wrote:
dennycrane wrote:As I understand it, there is no pick if Nashville misses the playoffs or loses in the first round. Am I right?

From the Sun:

The conditional pick is Nashville’s third-round selection if the Predators win one round in the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs, and turns into a second-rounder in 2012 if the team wins two-or-more rounds.

Yuck. Not a fan of this trade, the more I delve into it.
Yeah... that does suck a bit more... was hoping the conditional was at minimum a 3rd rounder no matter what.

Hockeyhero22000

Hockeyhero22000
Veteran
Veteran

i would like mister Burke to see this is how you do a rebuild not trade away two good first rounds for a phil kessel but you actually try to get more firsts yourself

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

So....

If Nashville gets to the conference final, the highest they pick is 27th. With that comes a 2nd round pick.

If Nashville loses in the 2nd round, their draft selection is between 15 and 26, based on the criteria below. Since they won't win their division, this likely puts them at 22. With a 2nd round loss comes a 3rd round pick in 2010.

If Nashville loses in the 1st round, the draft position is unaffected but no 3rd round pick.

If Nashville does not make the playoffs, they are somewhere in the top 14. ** Best Scenario **
To summarize, TANK NATION IS GOING SOUTHERN!

As a refresher:

HOW THE DRAFT ORDER IS SELECTED

From NHL.com:

The order of selection among the Member Clubs in each season shall be determined in the following manner: (amended in 2007 to provide for points iv and v below)

A composite of all Member Clubs shall be prepared by placing:

1) First the Clubs which failed to qualify for the next preceding playoffs in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest points total and followed by the Club having the next lowest points total, and so forth.

2) The Clubs which participated in the next preceding playoffs (but had not been ranked first in their respective Divisions and did not make the Conference Finals) in order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.

3) The Clubs which had been ranked first in their Divisions during the next preceding season (but had not made the Conference Finals ) in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.

4) The Clubs who lose in the Conference Finals in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points.

5) The Club which loses in the Finals shall select next to last.

6) The Stanley Cup winner shall select last, thus, positioning all Clubs on the list.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Another note: Nashville has 9 remaining road games, 18 remaining home games.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Don't know where the Sun got it's info but directly from the Senators web site.

"OTTAWA - Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray announced today the club has acquired a first-round draft pick in the 2011 entry draft and a third-round draft pick in 2012 from the Nashville Predators in exchange for forward Mike Fisher. The selection in 2012 can move up to a second-round pick."

So it's a 1st and a 3rd and the 3rd moves to a 2nd if the Predators do well.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

dennycrane wrote:So....

If Nashville gets to the conference final, the highest they pick is 27th. With that comes a 2nd round pick.

If Nashville loses in the 2nd round, their draft selection is between 15 and 26, based on the criteria below. Since they won't win their division, this likely puts them at 22. With a 2nd round loss comes a 3rd round pick in 2010.

If Nashville loses in the 1st round, the draft position is unaffected but no 3rd round pick.

If Nashville does not make the playoffs, they are somewhere in the top 14. ** Best Scenario **
To summarize, TANK NATION IS GOING SOUTHERN!

As a refresher:

HOW THE DRAFT ORDER IS SELECTED

From NHL.com:

The order of selection among the Member Clubs in each season shall be determined in the following manner: (amended in 2007 to provide for points iv and v below)

A composite of all Member Clubs shall be prepared by placing:

1) First the Clubs which failed to qualify for the next preceding playoffs in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest points total and followed by the Club having the next lowest points total, and so forth.

2) The Clubs which participated in the next preceding playoffs (but had not been ranked first in their respective Divisions and did not make the Conference Finals) in order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.

3) The Clubs which had been ranked first in their Divisions during the next preceding season (but had not made the Conference Finals ) in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.

4) The Clubs who lose in the Conference Finals in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points.

5) The Club which loses in the Finals shall select next to last.

6) The Stanley Cup winner shall select last, thus, positioning all Clubs on the list.

Thanks for doing all that work, although most of your scenarios don't mean much.

All Ottawa cares about this season when it comes to that conditional pick is Nashville winning one or two rounds of playoffs. If the Preds win only one round, Ottawa gets a 3rd in 2012. If Nashville wins 2 or more rounds they get a 2nd round selection in 2012. Obviosuly, best case scenario for the Sens this season is Nashville just getting to the Conference Finals.

What Ottawa really, really cares about is Nashville being horrendous next season because the Preds results in the 2011-12 season determine what position the Sens will draft courtesy of the conditional pick based on the prior seasons playoff success. Do you follow?

Best case scenario - Nashville makes it to the Conference Finals this season. Doing this gives Ottawa a 2nd rounder in 2012. Then in 2012, Nashville finishes last overall giving Ottawa the 31st overall selection.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

CockRoche wrote:
You shouldn't drink throughout the day. Experts say it may lead to addiction.

That is one of the worst proposals I have read on here and that is saying a lot.

Laugh1 Doubtful!

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Or Nashville tanks, being only 9 points ahead of the 14th place team and most if not all teams have games in hand on them.

Tank this year and give us 2 top 10 picks..

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

22_4_ever wrote:Don't know where the Sun got it's info but directly from the Senators web site.

"OTTAWA - Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray announced today the club has acquired a first-round draft pick in the 2011 entry draft and a third-round draft pick in 2012 from the Nashville Predators in exchange for forward Mike Fisher. The selection in 2012 can move up to a second-round pick."

Sure, either way, Ottawa wants Nashville to do well this season (Conference Finals) and then suck next year because next years results establishes how low in the round Ottawa will pick according to the round based on this seasons playoff results.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

22_4_ever wrote:Don't know where the Sun got it's info but directly from the Senators web site.

That was how I understood it too.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

We got a 1st round pick.

We moved Fisher's salary without taking any contact back (not easy to do nowadays). The freed up cap space is gold

Not THE greatest deal but in hindsight we did good.

The conditional pick is icing.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:We got a 1st round pick.

We moved Fisher's salary without taking any contact back (not easy to do nowadays).

Not THE greatest deal but in hindsight we did good.

The conditional pick is icing.

Pretty much. Plus, again, not to belittle Fish but he had had himself a terrible year. At that price, the way he was contributing, Chris Kelly at half that made much, much more sense. We're lucky as heck to get a 1st + IMO. Take it and run, get a prospect for Phillips if need be.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Got a letter from Cyril leader. Basically it said once they decided that in order to move forward moving Fisher was in the teams best interest, then making an effort to send him to Nashville where he would be most happy was a priority.

It's possible that Nashville refused to allow a prospect go with the deal knowing that Fisher wanted to be there. In this case, Ottawa did the right thing by sending the player to somewhere he would be happy.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

22_4_ever wrote:Got a letter from Cyril leader. Basically it said once they decided that in order to move forward moving Fisher was in the teams best interest, then making an effort to send him to Nashville where he would be most happy was a priority.

It's possible that Nashville refused to allow a prospect go with the deal knowing that Fisher wanted to be there. In this case, Ottawa did the right thing by sending the player to somewhere he would be happy.

There's a possibility that I don't agree with that personally. Give me the prospect or eat Dung and die, there were two other teams interested. I think that was his worth in the end.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:

That was how I understood it too.

I know, but no one is understanding that only the playoffs matter this season for Nashville and then the regular season, plus potential playoffs in 2011-12.

That is what will determine the exact position of the conditional pick.

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Who cares if the pick is a 3rd or 2nd rounder? If nashville tanks this year then we end up with another top 10 and a 3rd rounder. I'd take that in a heartbeat over a 15-25 pick and a 2nd rounder.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 25]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum